• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Butterfly Effect

Ookami

If you could go back to a point in your own life and change something so that the outcome was diffrent what would you change, and what would be the repracations?

I would go back to when i was 9 & keep my dog from getting hit by a truck. Effect: He would have lived and i wouldn't of been so upset.

J

Jelly

Wait...b-but, the Butterfly Effect is supposed to imply that whatever you do in the past (via Teim Travbel) will have a number of completely unpredictable effects (and not necessarily what you're looking for - maybe instead of getting hit by the truck, your dog gets cancer).

If you step on a butterfly in prehistoric times: it causes a certain plant not to be polinated which, in turn, removes food for a certain herbivore which was meant to feed a human who was meant to foster a family line that eventually created a small chiefdom which lead to trade within a specific area which lead to the creation of a kingdom - and on and on and on and on.

That being said. Eh, I'd probably either do nothing...or step on a butterfly. :3

Rilvor

Formal when angry
EITHER

1.Cause as much havoc as I can and see what happens

OR
2. Do as many good,helpful things and see what happens.

Ookami

i don't think i was clear enough. you can only change something in your own past to try to improve it. yes the repracations couild be bad or good but what ever they are some thing gets better.

concider it a socal experiment the goal being to get a better idea of why things happen and how we learn from the mistakes we make.

jellyhurwit:

Actually, the butterfly effect is the theory that a butterfly flapping its wings in China can cause a hurricane halfway across the world, or the like. It's the same general idea, though - a tiny action can have drastic effects.

Cygnus421

i dont think I would do anything. I'd be to afraid of fucking my life up.

I could say something like i would go back to elementary school and fuck somebody up so that people would have stopped picking on me and seeing me as weak, but how do i know that i wouldn't wind up a delinquent and in juvinille hall till i was 18?

that would probably set me back a lot.,

I'd create this temporal rift with an inverse tachyon pulse causing humanity to end from the beginning of time, which would cause a mysterious anomaly... if we never existed, how did we prevent ourselves from existing?

Answer: It never happened. ;)

J

Jelly

WelcomeTheCollapse said:
jellyhurwit:

Actually, the butterfly effect is the theory that a butterfly flapping its wings in China can cause a hurricane halfway across the world, or the like. It's the same general idea, though - a tiny action can have drastic effects.

Oh well, I hadn't known exactly from what the term "Butterfly Effect (I only knew it as little things being a part of a huge ecology of moments)" had come...but, I was just saying the butterfly thing as an example.

Thank you, though! I had wondered.

I can't decide on

I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish

or...

Don't touch anything? I'll touch whatever I feel like!!! *going crazy killing everything in range while in a blind rage

Sigh. i just brought down this the IQ of this topic 30 points. Oh well, someone had to do it.

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
jellyhurwit said:
WelcomeTheCollapse said:
jellyhurwit:

Oh well, I hadn't known exactly from what the term "Butterfly Effect (I only knew it as little things being a part of a huge ecology of moments)" had come...but, I was just saying the butterfly thing as an example.

To elaborate abit more (and to understand why the butterfly creates a hurricane rather than it just magically happening), it means when the butterfly flaps it's wings it creates a tiny change in the atmosphere that snowballs through a chain of events into creating something alot larger (like a hurricane).

An other ore down-to-earth example could be something like finding a ditching a 5c piece (change from buying some drinks) because it's only 5 cents.
->
A poor guy comes only and picks it up, with the money he's picked up from the ground he buys some booze.
->
He drinks the booze, gets drunk and stumbles out onto the road making a car swerve to avoid him. The car crashes into a tree, starts a small fire and burns down an orphanage.
->
The media catch onto the crash and finds out the cause. The Angry Morality Mob gets behind the media and puts a total ban on alcohol (because Morality Mobs seem to do stupid stuff like that.).
->
The law goes into effect across the whole country.

So we have someone throwing loose change after buying booze and ends up as a total alcohol-ban across a whole country.

Not the best modern, down-to-earth example but you should get the gist of it.

Ookami

Bokracroc said:
jellyhurwit said:
WelcomeTheCollapse said:
jellyhurwit:

To elaborate abit more (and to understand why the butterfly creates a hurricane rather than it just magically happening), it means when the butterfly flaps it's wings it creates a tiny change in the atmosphere that snowballs through a chain of events into creating something alot larger (like a hurricane).

Thats Einstines caos theroy and exactly what i was going for. most of you got the idea and went with it. but the thinker furs got into a dissucion which is fine i love that so meny furs understand this aswell i i would love to hear more

but i'd still like to hear what you all would do so keep up the good post.^_^

Ookami said:
Bokracroc said:
jellyhurwit said:
WelcomeTheCollapse said:
jellyhurwit:

Thats Einstines caos theroy and exactly what i was going for. most of you got the idea and went with it. but  the thinker furs got into a dissucion which is fine i love that so meny furs understand this aswell i i would love to hear more

but i'd still like to hear what you all would do so keep up the good post.^_^

Butterfly effect... lol, by even mentioning the butterfly effect, it went from simple story telling, to theories and explanation... I'm just surprised that it didn't turn into a big argument.

All in all, I love theories like this.

But... I would change.... the fact that everyone now thinks I'm emo, because I always act normal in front of people... like almost depressed, but when I'm alone, I sing out loud, I dance, all sorts of stuff. now it feels like it's too late to just, change my attitude.

Icarus

No time like the present.
The chaos theory is fun and interesting.
Whoever thinks that they can change a bad point in their lives for good is sadly mistaken, it'll be replaced just like that movie.
Have fun with your alternate realities :) .

themocaw

Re: stepping on a Butterfly: I think you're referring to the Ray Bradbury short story "A Sound of Thunder," (sp?) whereby someone goes back in time, steps on a butterfly by accident, and causes a series of events that makes it so the US becomes a totalitarian state instead of a democracy

Tundon

Go lick a lemon!
I wouldn't change anything in my past at all. If I did chances are I wouldn't be the exact same person that I am today.

themocaw

Quick correction: Einstein did not formulate chaos theory. Einstein formulated relativity. In fact, if I recall, Einstein was appalled by chaos theory and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Theory and all the insane unpredictableness it implies, hence his famous quote, "God does not play dice!"

Bloodangel

Banned
Banned
Lol, me and a friend came up with the Hitler circle to prove how going back in time to change a bad thing to good will never work. It goes like this.....

Hitler was a very naughty man. Very naughty indeed.
-->
I go back in time and shoot Hitler. Before he does such naughty things, of course.
-->
Time proceeds along a line until, for the purpose of explanation, I am born.
-->
I never now who Adolf Hitler is. This name holds no point even close to how it would.
-->
Thus, I have no need to go back in time and shoot Hitler.
-->
Thus, NOONE goes back in time and shoots Hitler.
-->
Thus, Hitler never dies and does all the bad things.
-->
Thus, I go back in time to shoot Hitler.

I'm sure someone came up with this WELL before me and my friend did, but I didn't want to look it up and ruin my buzz. Plus, we made a lot of people go all trippy thinking about it. :p

themocaw

Bloodangel said:

OMG TIME PARADOX!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, one of the methods people use to try and explain this is called the many-worlds theory: that is, to say, that when you go back in timer, you create an alternate timeline. That timeline then proceeds, in which hitler did not exist, but the original timeline, when you didn't kill hitler, continues on in a parallel dimension in a very quantum manner. This principle is best illustrated (sighs) by the Trunks saga of Dragon Ball Z. (Kill me now. I just brought up anime when discussing theoretical physics. :p)

Bloodangel

Banned
Banned
themocaw said:
Bloodangel said:

OMG TIME PARADOX!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, one of the methods people use to try and explain this is called the many-worlds theory: that is, to say, that when you go back in timer, you create an alternate timeline. That timeline then proceeds, in which hitler did not exist, but the original timeline, when you didn't kill hitler, continues on in a parallel dimension in a very quantum manner. This principle is best illustrated (sighs) by the Trunks saga of Dragon Ball Z. (Kill me now. I just brought up anime when discussing theoretical physics. :p)

Lol, I has me a rebuttle for that!! Schroedinger's cat!! That one cat proved how we can have many timelines, but they'll all end up as one. Never heard of this wonderous cat? Here it is in awful detail.

For all you cat lovers out there, it was not a real cat, it was an imaginary cat. Just in case you see the "The cat dies" bit first and hate me for it.
I'll also stop now, 'cause I'm getting full of utter bollocs I just like to waffle on about.

Btw, if I could go back in time, I'd find out where Sheba (MY cat) ended up. She went out and never came back.

well, with all this time bending stuff... I find that impossible, because... well, I dunno, but if someone could travel back in time (thus bending time)... what would happen in our solar system?

the fact: that say you can see a star at night, you're looking at that star as it was thousands of years ago.

also: this theory I heard, that time is measured in waves, and those waves spread out (of course faster than the speed of light), and reaches space... if that happened, say someone looks out at a star again... wouldn't that like, create some kind of ripple between time right now, and time on that star?

and boom! you just blew something up in space! ... I don't even know what I'm saying, lol