• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Silkworm Moth or Poodle Moth?

• Silkworm Moth

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Poodle Moth

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • I don't know/care!

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Faustus

I recently felt the need to have a go at drawing up a character I've been ruminating on for a while, and simultaneously take the opportunity to work on my fur-drawing skills (because she is excessively floofy!) I think I'm happy with the name 'Camille' for now, though I'm open to suggestions too. What I really can't decide on is: is she a Silkworm Moth, or a Venezuelan Poodle Moth?

(If you're planning on googling those to see what they look like, you'll get almost 100% pictures of silkworm moths as they look very similar and people confuse them, plus there are very few verified images of poodle moths.)

I've decided to show my process a bit here, in case anybody's interested. So far I mapped out the basic pose with spheroids and added the basic line work over the top. The image is created in Adobe Illustrator, which is likely a lot slower than a traditional media artist could do, but I'm still very happy with the results so far! When I get time I will be adding flat colours and shading stages too.

(P.S. you can see her butt through her wings because they are translucent. It will be clearer when I've done the flats.)

Faustus

Basic Guides and Posing

Camille (Guides).png

Faustus

I just realised I forgot to add her antennae. I'll do that in the morning. Too tired now.

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Love it! My first sona was a Venezuelan Poodle Moth :D

Faustus

Wow that was a long one! It's really tough doing all that fluffy fur. Still, I'm mostly happy with the result. Decided to ditch the pattern on the cloth because I thought it looked better all satiny. I might go back to it at some point and add a drop shadow, but otherwise I think this one is done.

Faustus

Thankyou! Yeah, I'm surprised how few insects there are out there. I guess they're just too non-human even for Furries? :) The species list on FA only takes into account a very small sampling, and I was amazed that moth and butterfly were both absent! I mean, I can understand 'Arachnid' being in the list, but the other two are 'Scorpion' (another arachnid, incidentally) and 'Mantis' (the only specifically named insect and I've never even seen an anthro mantis picture on there) I can't help but wonder. Had to put her under 'other insect'.

I think doing this image did me a lot of good. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with my artwork.

shirogu5

Thankyou! Yeah, I'm surprised how few insects there are out there. I guess they're just too non-human even for Furries? :) The species list on FA only takes into account a very small sampling, and I was amazed that moth and butterfly were both absent! I mean, I can understand 'Arachnid' being in the list, but the other two are 'Scorpion' (another arachnid, incidentally) and 'Mantis' (the only specifically named insect and I've never even seen an anthro mantis picture on there) I can't help but wonder. Had to put her under 'other insect'.

I think doing this image did me a lot of good. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with my artwork.

I think it might have to do with the fact that insects aren't mammals and often have features that terrify most people if enlarged, haha. Look up for example a close up from a bullet ant, they are terrifying! Although I am sure there are insects that can be made nice and kind of adorable looking, like this moth you made here! I think your artwork is pretty neat, so keep up the good work! It is always good to feel satisfaction and some pride finishing some artwork :)