• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Can I strip colored fur of its color

Hinotai

I have an old Sully ( monsters inc) costume from like.... Late 1990 or early 2000s and , because I have no money left from plastic canvas and foam, I can't buy any more fur so I wanted to use the costume. It's FULL of fur. The only problem is my furry has black and red fur. I know how to dye fur but can I bleach the costume or something. I just need it to be white so I can dye it.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
That's an interesting question. Bleach can certainly lighten colours, but it might also damage the clothing.

I'm not sure and it may depend on the chemistry of the dye. If it is a disperse dye [which may be the case if it is on an acrylic material] then chlorine bleaches in an acidic medium will make them lose colour value. http://dyeingworld1.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/disperse-dyes.html

However I think it's likely that bleaches will damage acrylic fibre; many fursuit guides state explicitly to never use them.

Try bleaching a small square of the material to see if it works.