• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Can people actually get worse?

ADF

In order of when created and which ones were actually used.

adfavatarfails.jpg

I've used the same avatar for two years because I haven't been able to produce a better one since, not only am I struggling to capture the original design; but they always seem to go wrong.

Honestly I actually think my drawing ability has gotten worse over the years, it's like actively trying to improve has hurt something.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
So the last one is your newest one?

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
The more experienced you become, the more ambitious things you try.

As a side affect of this ambition, you will produce some unsatisfactory results.

FluffMouse

*Crawls into traffic*
I honestly think the third and last one are the best and cleanest.
The first one is nice, but it's just the style that looks different.. not the art.

Also.. the second one (that is currently your avatar) in my opinion is the worst..
The jaw is weak, the lines are messy, and it just doesn't look like a lot of effort was put into it.

The others definitely look better.

Practice!

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Your newest is actually your best one. It looks cleaner, and more organic. It also holds more expression that is less creepy (sorry) than your other attempts.

Bittertooth

I think they all look equally good, and i never would have been able to tell they were in chronological order.
but i think the left-most one appeals to me the most; it's got the teeth and tongue showing.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I don't think it looks like you're getting 'worse' as time goes by. It's more like you're still trying to find a style you like. I mean, these all look different, almost to the point of looking like they were drawn by different artists. So to me it's not a question of 'better' or 'worst' at all.
Just keep trying, I guess, until you get somewhere you like, is my advice. Eventually your style should solidify a little more. What exactly is it that you're looking for? Like, how do you see the character, so what are you working toward?

ArawnNox

Something Clever Goes Here
You only get worse if you stop trying to get better. :)
How often do you draw and actively try to improve?
If you really want to get better as an artist, I recommend going to the library and picking up some old-school "How to Draw" books. They'll give you a good foundation for developing your own style and give tips on technique and form.
Barring that, going to Deviant Art or here on FA and doing a "Drawing Tutorial" search will net you a lot of help. Now, I'm not talking about the "Here's how I draw" tutorials, but the ones that give you an honest lesson in drawing things around you.
On the subject of frustration, here's some words of wisdom that GunMoutH gave me: "If you're getting frustrated, that's good. It means you're learning."
:)

mapdark

Fluffy as a shaggy carpet
If I may , you MIGHT want to draw the guy in full!

believe it or not , drawing a full body will often help drawing the head because it gives you a perspective on what would be the right proportions and all.

Also I would try to look at photos of reptiles on every angles and inspire you of the proportions and looks to draw youer character.

And like Arshes I like your last noe , it's more organic and less stiff than the rest ^^

ADF

Based on people's responses it isn't necessarily that I'm not improving, more like I'm just not creating what I perceive to be my characters appearance. I suppose I've had this avatar so long I saw it as being how my character looked, so everything after didn't feel quite right.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I suppose I'll have to force myself to replace it if I want to move forward.

ArawnNox

Something Clever Goes Here
Based on people's responses it isn't necessarily that I'm not improving, more like I'm just not creating what I perceive to be my characters appearance. I suppose I've had this avatar so long I saw it as being how my character looked, so everything after didn't feel quite right.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I suppose I'll have to force myself to replace it if I want to move forward.

Well, as your style and ability develops, your avatar will evolve with it. It's not really a bad thing, you just have to be open to those changes. :)

KashakuTatsu

Ihanen Guide my Hand
Think everyone bout covered the need to practice and keep redrawing yourself. and from personal experience you can get worse depending on mood and circumstances. I was in a bad marriage when i was younger and I got to the point I couldn't draw a stick figure (very bad when you're in art programs in college). Sometimes a step back is needed for you to reconnect with what made you draw it in the first place. That is if you are not feeling yourself at the moment. I find that drawing different things then coming back to the project at hand can also be helpful. fwiw I like the lines of the last one, with elongated horns.

E-mannor

Prisoner 655321
I'll say that when I don't draw for over a week, I definitely get a little behind where I can usually preform. So yes you can, but more importantly to get better you have to just draw a lot.

Vivianite

That 1-hit-kill sniper fgt.
i find your forth one to look better than the others. It looks more modernized and balanced as with appearance.

ADF

Well, I finally did it, I changed my avatar.

Hopefully a different image will help progress my perception of the character.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

ADF

have you ever thought of looking at reptiles? drawing lizard skulls and studying the anatomy of serpents? Thats helped me sometimes.

I've recently done a drawing of an actual lizard photograph, not something I'll upload though. I do think I've learned a bit from it, something I'll be trying more often.