• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Can you answer this?

Austin Silver

"A high-functioning sociopath."
here's a novelty question for you all today. What is the state of being surprised? I don't understand how to display that emotion. For example, when someone gives me a gift and I don't know what it is, I am genuinely touched and pleased, but I don't know how to make the giver understand that. As a result, they think I am displeased, which is not the case. After studying the behaviors of others in a similar situation, I observed their display of emotion which I tried to emulate. That just makes me feel like a fraud. Robotic, fake, fraudulent. I genuinely appreciate the thought that goes into a gift given to me by someone else, so I force a smile, laugh, go "oh my god thank you so much," and that's it. It feels wrong. How do I feel surprised? How am I supposed to show it? Any ideas?

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I have the same issue, actually. I'm often cited as not being terribly excited about anything, but it's quite the opposite, it's just difficult for me to show it.

My solution to this is to play yourself and forget trying too hard to look surprised. Words can convey as much meaning and thought as emotion given the right order. Descriptive and thoughtful statements, while not truly a substitute for emotion, can help people understand what kind of person you are and accept that as your way of interacting. An ambiguous and short acknowledgement can often leave people underwhelmed or feeling underappreciated.

Austin Silver

I have the same issue, actually. I'm often cited as not being terribly excited about anything, but it's quite the opposite, it's just difficult for me to show it.

My solution to this is to play yourself and forget trying too hard to look surprised. Words can convey as much meaning and thought as emotion given the right order. Descriptive and thoughtful statements, while not truly a substitute for emotion, can help people understand what kind of person you are and accept that as your way of interacting. An ambiguous and short acknowledgement can often leave people underwhelmed or feeling underappreciated.
Thank you, that's certainly something to think on :)

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i know exactly what you mean. i'm usually not an overly-emotional person unless it's brought out by something pretty strong. My emotions are very strong when shown, which is somewhat rare. This may come as a surprise to even my closest friends and family because i normally act like a cartoon goofball. Not overly happy, mind you, but exaggurated nonetheless. i make sound effects for every other action, i make jokes, i "mug" at my friends and generally put off good vibes...but i do that even if i'm sad. i'm told i'm hard to read.
So, back to the op, YES, i have that problem. My emotions are usually muted or reserved to some degree, especially when people are expecting a reaction. i never know what to do. Every smile, every "thank you", every fake-ass reaction feels soooooo forced! Even if i genuinely LOVE a gift, i feel like a total twat with all eyes on me. Though i may be thankful or even excited about a gift, unless it's a million dollars or a new car, my reaction will always look, feel and sound like a big fat "woopty-doo".

Austin Silver

i know exactly what you mean. i'm usually not an overly-emotional person unless it's brought out by something pretty strong. My emotions are very strong when shown, which is somewhat rare. This may come as a surprise to even my closest friends and family because i normally act like a cartoon goofball. Not overly happy, mind you, but exaggurated nonetheless. i make sound effects for every other action, i make jokes, i "mug" at my friends and generally put off good vibes...but i do that even if i'm sad. i'm told i'm hard to read.
So, back to the op, YES, i have that problem. My emotions are usually muted or reserved to some degree, especially when people are expecting a reaction. i never know what to do. Every smile, every "thank you", every fake-ass reaction feels soooooo forced! Even if i genuinely LOVE a gift, i feel like a total twat with all eyes on me. Though i may be thankful or even excited about a gift, unless it's a million dollars or a new car, my reaction will always look, feel and sound like a big fat "woopty-doo".
Ugh, God, I know exactly what you mean. All my "friends" take me as some blundering idiot incapable of deep thought, serious emotions, or a general ability to do anything useful.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Jmmp up and down screaming OMG!, like somebody who has won a new car on The Price is Right or some similarly cheesy game-show. This will surely prove useful in many situations.

Austin Silver

Jmmp up and down screaming OMG!, like somebody who has won a new car on The Price is Right or some similarly cheesy game-show. This will surely prove useful in many situations.
I don't...think I'd feel comfortable doing that.

JesterKatz

But, surely you jest.
That does sound like a rather uncomfortable moment. Best I could say is look up videos (not just one) of people getting surprised, and find ones you feel comfortable emulating.

Another sacrifice to the Nintendo gods!!

Щ(・`ω´・Щ) Where's your princess now you lil' brat!?