• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Canadians, please tell me about Canada! Thank you!

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Now, living in 日本 I learn a lot about USA from tv shows like Whose Line Is It Anyways? and The Office and from eating at McDonald's and KFC but there is rarely anything coming in about or from Canada.

Cobbling together what knowledge I have gained thus far, I know that some famous Canadians are Bryan Adams and Mike Meyers, but what is Canadian culture all about? Do you listen to The Guess Who on vinyl? Do you talk about the Trailer Park Boys at work?

Give me any sort of nuggets that you think will enlighten me more as to what it is like to be Canadian. What do you learn in school? Who are Canadian heroes? How much is a gallon of milk?

Thank you all in advance, and remember, TRUE CANADIANS ONLY. I don't want mischievous Americans telling me you all put maple syrup on your hot dogs.

ありがとう,
Load_Blown

L

LizardKing

Aren't Celine Dion and Nickleback Canadian?

Damnit, Canada.

Kanin

B is for Bull****
Aren't Celine Dion and Nickleback Canadian?

Damnit, Canada.

Celine Dion is, I don't know about Nickleback. Yeah Celine Dion is french canadian, I should know.

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
We don't measure our milk by gallons, we go by litres :O

Many of us spend our time talking about american politics :O

And I wouldn't put maple syrup on my hot dogs, that would just be nasty :O

Nickleback is indeed canadian :O

They're also metallica fans, so I can forgive them for their generic music (minus a few exceptions of songs that are good) :O

:O

F

FelldohTheSquirrel

Here's a little something to teach you how to speak Canadian, the native language of Canada.

Lesson one

Canadian's are famous for how they mis-pronouce the letter combination "ou". When pronouncing words like "out" and "about", instead of the "ou" making an "ow" sound, it makes more of an "oo" sound. Example. The word 'about' can be pronounced as 'aboot' in Canadian. Practice with the words 'about', 'house', and 'out'.

Lesson two

Add "eh" to the end of every sentence that you speak. In fact better yet, add it in between sentences too! Just remember, the more times you say "eh", the more Canadian you will become. Here is an example: 'Pass the maple syrup, eh?'

Lesson three

Canadian's have a real problem with syntax. Especially with the word "just". Normally a leading word, such as the phrase "just do it", Canadian's prefer to tack it onto the end so that it comes out "do it just". Example. 'Don't stand there just, eh?'

Lesson four

If you want to offend people call them a "hoser". In Canada, few insults rise up to the true level of being called a hoser!

Lesson five

Now that you have had a chance to practice try combining all that you have learned. Here is an example. "Cut it out, hoser! I don't want to talk to you, eh! Get the hell out of here just, eh!"

Now, take your new found knowledge and wreak havoc among the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Sup, Did anyone call me?
Here's a little something to teach you how to speak Canadian, the native language of Canada.

Lesson one

Canadian's are famous for how they mis-pronouce the letter combination "ou". When pronouncing words like "out" and "about", instead of the "ou" making an "ow" sound, it makes more of an "oo" sound. Example. The word 'about' can be pronounced as 'aboot' in Canadian. Practice with the words 'about', 'house', and 'out'.

Lesson two

Add "eh" to the end of every sentence that you speak. In fact better yet, add it in between sentences too! Just remember, the more times you say "eh", the more Canadian you will become. Here is an example: 'Pass the maple syrup, eh?'

Lesson three

Canadian's have a real problem with syntax. Especially with the word "just". Normally a leading word, such as the phrase "just do it", Canadian's prefer to tack it onto the end so that it comes out "do it just". Example. 'Don't stand there just, eh?'

Lesson four

If you want to offend people call them a "hoser". In Canada, few insults rise up to the true level of being called a hoser!

Lesson five

Now that you have had a chance to practice try combining all that you have learned. Here is an example. "Cut it out, hoser! I don't want to talk to you, eh! Get the hell out of here just, eh!"

Now, take your new found knowledge and wreak havoc among the world.
This man is a troll.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
We don't measure our milk by gallons, we go by litres :O

Many of us spend our time talking about american politics :O

Do they sell milk in bags there like in Russia?

And what in specific about American politics do Canadians talk about?

Lesson four

I didn't know "hoser" was so offensive! It's good you tell me that because I had planned to modify one of my hoodies so that it said "hoser". How offensive is it, if you had to judge? I don't even know what "hoser" means....

No good music has ever come from Canada, and only two good T.V. shows, the rest are embarrassingly fuck awful. I think the #1 Canadian as voted by Canadians was the guy who founded the public health care system but I could be wrong. Canada has no culture, things cost about the same as they do in the states. The school system is in shambles but still in better shape than the American school system, Canadian schools can still afford light bulbs and toilet paper. There is nothing very interesting about Canada :V .

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE

And what in specific about American politics do Canadians talk about?
I see you have heard the myths and legends about the coveted canadian milk in bags!

When buying in bags, they generally come in bags of bags of 4 litres, no, the second 'bags of' is not a typo! In order to transport smaller bags of milk (roughly 1.33333333333e litres each) we must put them in a larger bag! The whole product can be bought for a little over 5 dollars, depensing on brand :D

A prime example of the 'Canadians talking about american politics' would be how many of us ignored our own election to focus on that of the American election!

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
No good music has ever come from Canada, and only two good T.V. shows, the rest are embarrassingly fuck awful. I think the #1 Canadian as voted by Canadians was the guy who founded the public health care system but I could be wrong. Canada has no culture, things cost about the same as they do in the states. The school system is in shambles but still in better shape than the American school system, Canadian schools can still afford light bulbs and toilet paper. There is nothing very interesting about Canada :V .

this man cannot be canadian, he possesses no canadian pride :V

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
With my post I'm making fun of myself, pretty much... I'm not a troll, I'm just poking fun at my English dialect... I am Canadian
Are you french canadian?
Stop trolling just, eh?

Go aboot your business, hoser!
Said the french canadian
This.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
No good music has ever come from Canada, and only two good T.V. shows

Is one of them Kids in the Hall?

And hey! What about the Nihilist Spasm Band?

A prime example of the 'Canadians talking about american politics' would be how many of us ignored our own election to focus on that of the American election!

Oh well...I hope you don't envy them for their mudslinging and computerized voting then.

F

FelldohTheSquirrel

I didn't know "hoser" was so offensive! It's good you tell me that because I had planned to modify one of my hoodies so that it said "hoser". How offensive is it, if you had to judge? I don't even know what "hoser" means....

1. Yes, we can get bags of milk.

2. Hoser isn't really that offensive at all XD Here are some definitions.
1) Canadian term popularized by the McKenzie brothers referring to someone clumsy or stupid who drinks beer excessivly.
2) Derived from the term used by popular Canadian icons Bob and Doug Mackenzie. The literal definition of a hoser, according to Bob and Doug, is "What you call your little brother when your mom's in the room."
Take off, eh? You're such a hoser.

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
Canadians have no pride, you are an embarrassment to your nation and everything it stands for >:[ .
NO U

Is one of them Kids in the Hall?

And hey! What about the Nihilist Spasm Band?

Oh well...I hope you don't envy them for their mudslinging and computerized voting then.

Don't forget Rush! Rush is good, right???? (yes is the right answer)

And yes, I envy americans for their fancy-pancy computer voting, whilst we home-grown canadian boys have to actually move a few cities away to do the same thing!

It's all so unfair!

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
1. Yes, we can get bags of milk.

2. Hoser isn't really that offensive at all XD

1. Amazing!

2. Phew!

Don't forget Rush! Rush is good, right???? (yes is the right answer)

And yes, I envy americans for their fancy-pancy computer voting, whilst we home-grown canadian boys have to actually move a few cities away to do the same thing!

Yes, yes I do like Rush but I am not an Ayn Rand fan so I listen to the music and just nod along to the words.

Well, the point I was trying to make is that computer voting machines are vulnerable to hacking and other malicious tampering but I suppose if American politics weren't so ridiculously overblown and fake and full of scum it would be handy to vote on a computer.

Three good shows :V

What are the other two?

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
Yes, yes I do like Rush but I am not an Ayn Rand fan so I listen to the music and just nod along to the words.

Well, the point I was trying to make is that computer voting machines are vulnerable to hacking and other malicious tampering but I suppose if American politics weren't so ridiculously overblown and fake and full of scum it would be handy to vote on a computer.
I think it's only like two albums that have much to do with her, then again, I don't pay much attention to where the words come from, but rather what they are saying.

I knew about the whole tampering business, but surely we Canadians, nice guys of the world, would have nothing to do with tampering?????

Ok, I admit I expect too much sometimes. Must be that damn hoser, Canadian Pride.

CAThulu

In FAF CAThulu lies dreaming..
Die hard, flag waving Canadian here, eh you hosers? ^_^ Here are some fun facts.

-We wear touques.

-Our Dollar is called A Loonie, while our two dollar is called a Toonie. They're both coins. The loonie is named from the loon on the one side, while the toonie is named for being the two dollar value...but it has polar bears and is made of two metals. The outer is 100% nickel while the inner is a copper alloy (the other two metals are aluminum and nickel). When the toonie was first issued if you whipped it at the ground hard enough the two metals would pop apart. It was awesome.

-In our nation's capital (Ottawa, right on the border of Ontario and Quebec) we go ice skating on the Rideau Canal which is a part of the St Lawrence Seaway. We have a Senate, a House of Commons, and a Prime Minister, but we also have a Govener General who is an acting representative of the Queen of England (though an independant country, we still have ties to the Monarchy). He or she is appointed, not elected. That person has the power to veto a bill or to close down Parlement Hill. Michelle Jean is our current Govener General; the second woman to hold that title and is a native of Haiti who came to our country in 1968.

-We also have five parties, but three that hold the most power. The top three are the Conservatives, the NDP (New Democratic Party), and the Liberals. The others are the Green Party, and the Bloc Quebeqois.

-The Nihilist Spasm Band is canadian, and was formed in London Ontario (where I live). Prominant London visual artists (Murray Favro and Greg Curnoe) are among the members.

-Among our national tv stations are CBC (Canadian broadcasting Corporation) and Global.

-We have different accents for different regions. the Maritime Provinces (Newfoundland/ Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) have the "east coast' accent, which roots itself in Irish brogue. Quebec is french, but the closer you get to Ontario the more English speakers you encounter. Ontario is known as the industrial province with most of our Auto Industry, and our accent is similar to Ohio, depending on where you are. The prairies (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta) tend to have a drawl, while I assume British Columbia has a simliar accent to Ontario, but don't quote me on that.

-We have ten Provinces (listed above) and three Territories (Yukon, Nunavut, and The Northwest Territories). Nunavut was officially made a Territory on April 1st, 1999.

-We have many native tribes that are still active in Canada, one of the more famous northern tribes being called the Inuit (the others are the Aleut and the Yupik). For the love of God, do NOT call the Inuit, 'Eskimos'! That was a derogatory name that falsly means 'eaters of raw meat' and the definition stuck, despite being incorrect.

-Fans of the new Battlestar Galactica should know that a great deal of the main cast is Canadian: Tahmoh Penikett - Helo (Yukon), Tricia Helfer - Six (Alberta), Michael Hogan - Tigh (Ontario), Aaron Douglas - Chief Tyrol (BC), and Alessandro Juliani - Felix Gaeta is from Quebec.

-Vancouver BC is kind of known as 'Hollywood North'. A lot of the shows you know have been filmed there. Supernatural, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica and The X Files, to name a few. Toronto Ontario is also known for being a big filming location, and a lot of us had a good laugh at the end of Resident Evil 2 where Mila Jovovich ran down Toronto's city hall, then blew it up. ^_^

-Some of the musical acts from canada do include Rush, and Nickelback, but we also have Our Lady Peace, The Tea Party, Moist, Great Big Sea, Sarah McLaughlan, and The Tragically Hip (known sometimes as The Hip).

-There can be snowfall between Mid October and Mid May, with most of the accumulation being between Mid November and Mid March.

-We helped develop Insulin, and created the arm on the space shuttle known as the Canadarm.

-Some famous actors from Canada include Jim Carrey, Mike Meyers, Keanu Reeves (born in lebanon but grew up in toronto and is a canadian citizen), Hayden Christenson (Anakin Skywalker), Donald Sutherland, Keifer Sutherland, and James 'Scotty' Doohan.

-Tim Hortons is a Canadian Icon as a donut chain. If you ever hear an order of a 'Double Double', that's a coffee with two creams and two sugars. Usually prefixed by the size you want. For example: "Can I have a Large Double Double?" This hilarious description of it by canadian comedian Ron James is the best! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv_qssv1Q1w

-We have damn good beer! :D

Last edited: