• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Can't finish commissions - please help

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
Yes to put it bluntly, not just money but "easy" money. Furries are cheap but its very quick to sell art if it's on the NSFW side, it probably won't get you above $30 per drawing but it's fast.

My friends are furries so thats a reason too but I dont like it myself. I like nonhuman characters but not usually based on real animals unless i really like the animal. I have a few cat characters but most are not based on existing species.

But thats not what this thread is about. Please so not question my reasons for joining, I just want to get my commissions done. If you dont like me then maybe if i can get them done i can leave.

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.
Yes to put it bluntly, not just money but "easy" money. Furries are cheap but its very quick to sell art if it's on the NSFW side, it probably won't get you above $30 per drawing but it's fast.

My friends are furries so thats a reason too but I dont like it myself. I like nonhuman characters but not usually based on real animals unless i really like the animal. I have a few cat characters but most are not based on existing species.

But thats not what this thread is about. Please so not question my reasons for joining, I just want to get my commissions done. If you dont like me then maybe if i can get them done i can leave.
Not all furries are based on real animals, I mean some are pokemon/digimon. Also sorry, I was just curious. XP

I wouldn't say the furries I hang around are easy money, then again I most likely don't hang around the same people you do. >.<

redfox_81

I even have trouble finishing personal art.
I can't finish things because it doesn't look good enough and I constantly feel like I have to restart it.

Welcome to being an artist. It’s a tough gig. Here’s a secret: we’re NEVER satisfied with our work, but that’s a good thing, because it means we’re always striving to improve. If you ever reach the stage where you’re satisfied with your work, you’re not a real artist!

If you want to make a living doing commissions - or any form of commercial illustration - you’re just going to have to reconcile yourself with this fact. The trick to being successful is to give the client what they want, on time and for the price agreed, no matter how much you think it sucks, no matter how much you want to noodle it ad infinitum, no matter how much you want to scrap it and start over. They are paying you to deliver art to their specification and you are providing a service. Think of it like that. Commercial art is not the right career in which to get super precious over your work: that’s what fine art is for. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t have pride in your work, I’m just saying that your personal art is where you get to torture yourself silly over any shortcomings you perceive the piece has. You can spend a year on a painting getting it just right but you don’t have that luxury when someone’s paying you to give them a product. There’s a great video on YouTube by Jake Parker called “Finished, not perfect” that I recommend you watch, by the way.

Sorry to be blunt, but if you have such a huge problem finishing any form of work then you shouldn’t be offering commissions. Or perhaps your work isn’t as bad as you think? You are your own worst critic, after all. As others have mentioned, try offering sketch previews to your clients as it may actually give your confidence a boost. It’s entirely possible they will compliment what you’ve done, make a couple of tweaks and then you can move onto final, knowing that they like the way it looks. Or why not watermark what you’ve done so far, send it to your clients and let them be the judge?

It seems odd to me that youve chosen a fandom that you clearly resent in which to try and be successful. You even outright state that the only reason you’re here is for “easy money”! You’ll never be satisfied with anything you produce for it if you just see it as a cash cow. I know you mentioned furries not really being your “target audience” and also lamented your lack of followers, but I looked at your deviantArt and there didn’t seem to be much work on there? Being a commercial artist is all about exposure and having an online presence, have you considered an online portfolio containing examples of what you want to be commissioned for, or have I missed it?

Last edited:

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
I know you mentioned furries not really being your “target audience” and also lamented your lack of followers, but I looked at your deviantArt and there didn’t seem to be much work on there? Being a commercial artist is all about exposure and having an online presence, have you considered an online portfolio containing examples of what you want to be commissioned for, or have I missed it?

There's not much work because it's almost entirely commission stuff, which I delete after a few months because I hate it.
I don't have time to work on what I actually like and want to stay in my gallery, I have too many commissions to finish

redfox_81

You are creating your own problems: you won’t get more work if you’re deleting everything that you have online, why would anyone hire you?

Look, I get it, you don’t want to leave work up that you aren’t satisfied with, because you think it will attract more commissions of that ilk and thus the cycle continues. Newsflash: the only way you’re going to break that cycle and get paid for doing more of the work you like is to suspend your commissions for a while, and work on your portfolio. Create what you want to be paid for, get a website, put it on there. Repeat for Twitter, Tumblr, ArtStation, deviantArt, even Facebook. You have to hustle at this game, it’s competitive and there are a million better artists out there than you, me or anyone on these boards.

And before you say that you don’t have time to do that, you do. You said yourself that this is your only job, and from what you charge you can’t be making any kind of living from your commissions. If you are, then good for you. You still have the time to do what I said, you just have to make it.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
You are creating your own problems: you won’t get more work if you’re deleting everything that you have online, why would anyone hire you?

Look, I get it, you don’t want to leave work up that you aren’t satisfied with, because you think it will attract more commissions of that ilk and thus the cycle continues. Newsflash: the only way you’re going to break that cycle and get paid for doing more of the work you like is to suspend your commissions for a while, and work on your portfolio. Create what you want to be paid for, get a website, put it on there. Repeat for Twitter, Tumblr, ArtStation, deviantArt, even Facebook. You have to hustle at this game, it’s competitive and there are a million better artists out there than you, me or anyone on these boards.

And before you say that you don’t have time to do that, you do. You said yourself that this is your only job, and from what you charge you can’t be making any kind of living from your commissions. If you are, then good for you. You still have the time to do what I said, you just have to make it.

Suspending my commissions is exactly what I plan to do after I get this batch done. Which is my main problem right now. I can't do anything until that is done, and I have problems getting that done. That is what I am asking advice for.

redfox_81

In that case, you have to decide which you want most: to relinquish your death grip on these commissions and take that break you sorely need, or stay stuck in “perfect artist hell” and never get anywhere. Hint: it’s the first option, plus you’ll get paid!

Seriously though, my advice is to send your clients what you’ve done to test the waters. Chances are they’ll love it, and you’ll discover you’ve been beating yourself up for nothing. If they like it then it’s a job well done! It’s not your place to judge the work beyond this, you’ve fulfilled your end of the deal even if you hate the shit out of it.

Look at it this way: what if you actually DO finish something to your 100% satisfaction, and you send it to your client and THEN they say that they hate it? Feedback is critical. If they want changes, charge them revision fees like any professional would!

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
I know. But how can I get the motivation to continue? Even if I show them and they say they like it, that won't make me think it's good in my eyes.

connortheskunk

definitely did not look at yiff last night.
I know. But how can I get the motivation to continue? Even if I show them and they say they like it, that won't make me think it's good in my eyes.
Just think of the eviction notice you'll receive when you can't pay your rent! That'll motivate you! ^-^

redfox_81

If your client telling you that they like it isn’t motivation enough for you to finish, then you have a much more serious problem with your own work than I thought. Why even offer commissions in the first place? It can’t actually be just for the money like you claim if a) you don’t depend on said cash to pay your bills and b) you can never physically finish the work anyway. Who benefits?

I don’t think I can help you any more with this. But for the sake of your own sanity, suck it up and finish these commissions off, no matter how much you hate them. If you really can’t finish them, refund your clients and take a break to improve your art until you’re mentally strong enough to work for money again. You owe your customers that at the very least.

fralea

wait hold up
I totally glazed over this the first time: "I don't like eating anyway"
.... well good luck with that.

RhelArts

catboy connoisseur
Customers

This is why you're miserable and why nobody wants to spend a lot of money on you.
Go make a market somewhere else, if you're only drawing for customers you're going to hate it.

I really don't understand what the point of this thread was at all - if all you're going to do is complain about the fandom you're trying to get money out of, maybe this isn't for you.

loomou

Your Local Art Nerd
I agree with most of whats been said here, it seems this issue runs deeper than you just not having motivation to finish your work.

I've been in a similar position where I am doing a commission but it's something I don't really understand and I started to hate it. Make it your business to understand, do research on your clients profile, ask about their characters/ideas, and just straight up ask them what they think. I make it my business to send them WIPs at stages/on demand until theyre happy, even if I'm not. You never will be with things you don't particular enjoy. Sometimes I even suggest things I think will work!

Sounds like youre stuck in this position where you hate everything but you have taken this money and you need it. Don't keep artwork from these people any longer. I know you say even if the client loves it, this won't motivate you, but at this stage you have to disconnect your personal feelings from it and get it done for your client. They're paying you money, thats a big deal. They expect you to produce something for them, not for you, so do it. Motivate yourself by setting yourself targets, get so many sketches/linearts/finished pieces done today, put on your favourite music, or a film, get off these damn forums and do it.

If you decide to come back to opening commissions, you need to seriously think about everything thats been said in this thread. Learn from it. Avoid work you don't enjoy, but if you have to do something you don't particular want to, make it your business to enjoy it and want to do it. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, it will be shit and you won't be happy with it. You don't have to enjoy the subject, enjoy the process of drawing. There is a market out there for what you want to do, the internet is full of people looking for that art but you just have to find them. It's a niche, yes, but if you can establish yourself in this niche, work on selling yourself well, not make excuses, and be friendly, it will get you far.

I wish you luck. Stop making excuses for yourself, and

shia-labeouf-58d63876359838123271c0a4-g.gif

fralea

I can't afford to

You should never spend money for work you haven't completed. That's stealing. If you can't afford to refund them, find something you can sell, borrow money, anything so you can repay people. Sell the clothes off your back if you have to.

My point was enjoying food isn't the reason you eat. If you aren't eating you will eventually die. I would say if your eating disorder is that bad that you will die soon, please seek help (even seek help if it isn't that bad), but I feel like you will have an argument for why you can't do that as well.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
You should never spend money for work you haven't completed. That's stealing. If you can't afford to refund them, find something you can sell, borrow money, anything so you can repay people. Sell the clothes off your back if you have to.

My point was enjoying food isn't the reason you eat. If you aren't eating you will eventually die. I would say if your eating disorder is that bad that you will die soon, please seek help (even seek help if it isn't that bad), but I feel like you will have an argument for why you can't do that as well.

It's not "stealing." I do this because I need money urgently, you think I would take commissions of themes I don't like if I didnt? If I could afford to always have enough to refund anyone on hand I probably wouldn't even take any commissions at all.

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
I agree with most of whats been said here, it seems this issue runs deeper than you just not having motivation to finish your work.

I've been in a similar position where I am doing a commission but it's something I don't really understand and I started to hate it. Make it your business to understand, do research on your clients profile, ask about their characters/ideas, and just straight up ask them what they think. I make it my business to send them WIPs at stages/on demand until theyre happy, even if I'm not. You never will be with things you don't particular enjoy. Sometimes I even suggest things I think will work!

Sounds like youre stuck in this position where you hate everything but you have taken this money and you need it. Don't keep artwork from these people any longer. I know you say even if the client loves it, this won't motivate you, but at this stage you have to disconnect your personal feelings from it and get it done for your client. They're paying you money, thats a big deal. They expect you to produce something for them, not for you, so do it. Motivate yourself by setting yourself targets, get so many sketches/linearts/finished pieces done today, put on your favourite music, or a film, get off these damn forums and do it.

If you decide to come back to opening commissions, you need to seriously think about everything thats been said in this thread. Learn from it. Avoid work you don't enjoy, but if you have to do something you don't particular want to, make it your business to enjoy it and want to do it. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, it will be shit and you won't be happy with it. You don't have to enjoy the subject, enjoy the process of drawing. There is a market out there for what you want to do, the internet is full of people looking for that art but you just have to find them. It's a niche, yes, but if you can establish yourself in this niche, work on selling yourself well, not make excuses, and be friendly, it will get you far.

I wish you luck. Stop making excuses for yourself, and

shia-labeouf-58d63876359838123271c0a4-g.gif

How the hell do people get MULTIPLE art pieces finished in a day? Even starting and finishing one in a day is rare (and its usually just a sketch.)