• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Can't relate to human characters in movies and TV at all

R

Ricky Montez

Ever since I was little, I've always been much more drawn to the non-human characters in movies and TV than the humans. I actually find myself unable to relate to the overwhelming majority of human fictional characters. Because of this, I can't enjoy the majority of film and television since most of them have predominantly human casts. I'm only really drawn to the movies and shows with predominant non-humanoid main characters. Anyone else feel this way?

WXYZ

No longer using this site
Anyone else feel this way?
Somewhat, but in a different way. I've always enjoyed seeing non-humanoid characters in films, but I never felt close to kemonomimi characters.
Kemonomimi_dog.png
They never felt like an authentic representation of either animals or humans to me, unlike anthros, which seemed more entrancing.

R

Ricky Montez

Somewhat, but in a different way. I've always enjoyed seeing non-humanoid characters in films, but I never felt close to kemonomimi characters.

They never felt like an authentic representation of either animals or humans to me, unlike anthros, which seemed more entrancing.
Kemonomimi characters are still humanoid. They're pretty much just people with animal ears and tails. What I mean by non-humanoid is mostly relating to the face. If a character's face doesn't look anything like a human's, then the chances of me being drawn to them would be higher.

I'm still wondering if there's anyone else here who can't even relate to any human characters, or finds relating to them uncomfortable.

Tracks98

Dragon of the Sands
Kemonomimi_dog.png

I totally feel this too, "humans with some animal parts stuck on" characters kind of hit the uncanny valley for me: not as relatable as humans and not as cool and interesting as full anthros.

Similar thing with aliens in sci-fi settings, Star Trek-style races which are just humans with deformed ears and foreheads do nothing for me. Either make your non-humans weird and interesting or just don't bother.

Arthurtheshepherd

Canada's most well dressed collie.
Ever since I was little, I've always been much more drawn to the non-human characters in movies and TV than the humans. I actually find myself unable to relate to the overwhelming majority of human fictional characters. Because of this, I can't enjoy the majority of film and television since most of them have predominantly human casts. I'm only really drawn to the movies and shows with predominant non-humanoid main characters. Anyone else feel this way?
And this is why you a furry

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
To whoever is wondering, it was totally not me this time who made this topic and no I didn't clone myself either.

It also doesn't help that the number one trait I look for in human characters is compassion towards non-human life, and this just feels like a dying Concept in modern media. I can go back, Play suikoden 2 on my PlayStation, and I see a man rescuing a newly hatched dragon that would otherwise die with nothing else to care for it, a girl protecting an injured Griffin from townsfolk and other Griffins who want to feed on the weak, not to mention an adorable group of flying squirrels that are surprisingly fun to use.

... why is all of that so much to ask for in modern media. I honestly hate characters like Kratos or alloy or hat girl or X and Zero who are depicted with absolutely no genuine compassion for non-human life, and even when they do sort of show it, it's used entirely for fluff because they kill everything that isn't human anyway (later Megaman X games).

But yeah, I fully agree with everything that's said in this topic. It's why I cannot immerse myself in most media, because more often than not, I tried to immerse myself in media to get away from humans.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Just as being a furry makes me give human-like qualities to animal characters for stories, I relate to human characters based on their feelings and their circumstances. Like, it could just as easily be a story about an anthro animal character. When I was a kid, I used to re-imagine my favorite stories and movies and tv shows as if the human characters were re-cast by anthro animals of some kind. So, I can relate to the characters.

Ravofox

back to Aussie foxying!
I actually briefly had this problem, when I first plunged head long into the fandom. It wasn't like I couldn't but human characters just really didn't interest me anymore.

Nothing wrong with this. If it bothers you maybe try easing into human movies? Just a suggestion ^^

N

Nyro46

I used to be this way more as a kid, I think as I got older I became more open to human characters. There are some TV shows and movies I have enjoyed that mostly or pretty much entirely have human casts. One of my favourite movies is Coraline and the only animal character in there is the cat. And I read the book "11 Birthdays" at least three times, and all the characters are humans in it. Still, I can be a bit picky about them. Especially in cartoons, there aren't a lot of styles for human characters I enjoy. I prefer ones that are somewhere between cartoon and realistic, or at least a unique kind of cartoon, but not generic anime.

In some cases I find stories with animal characters I have completely grown out of and don't feel much interest in at all. In middle school I started reading the Owls of Ga'Hoole and Wolves of the Beyond series. I read most of the Ga'Hoole books but lost interest once it started getting into the owl bible stuff. My interest in the Wolves of the Beyond kinda phased out alongside it. Looking back on them honestly most of the characters in those series were fairly flat and uninteresting, some just kinda disappear without context but I don't really care (for example Soren in Ga'Hoole). So to me I care more about how the story and characters are written, the style it is represented in, more than whether they are humans or animals.

Personally, I just prefer using animals for the most part in my own stories because it makes it more interesting to me. In a lot humans and animals are actually mixed together. I like using animals and animal traits as symbolism and an alternate way of presenting a character. Plus incorporating animal traits and behaviours makes for a more diverse universe imo. Though if I were to attempt writing a different setting where animal characters would be a bit far-fetched or unnecessary, I could still do it.

Baalf

I used to be this way more as a kid, I think as I got older I became more open to human characters. There are some TV shows and movies I have enjoyed that mostly or pretty much entirely have human casts. One of my favourite movies is Coraline and the only animal character in there is the cat. And I read the book "11 Birthdays" at least three times, and all the characters are humans in it. Still, I can be a bit picky about them. Especially in cartoons, there aren't a lot of styles for human characters I enjoy. I prefer ones that are somewhere between cartoon and realistic, or at least a unique kind of cartoon, but not generic anime.

In some cases I find stories with animal characters I have completely grown out of and don't feel much interest in at all. In middle school I started reading the Owls of Ga'Hoole and Wolves of the Beyond series. I read most of the Ga'Hoole books but lost interest once it started getting into the owl bible stuff. My interest in the Wolves of the Beyond kinda phased out alongside it. Looking back on them honestly most of the characters in those series were fairly flat and uninteresting, some just kinda disappear without context but I don't really care (for example Soren in Ga'Hoole). So to me I care more about how the story and characters are written, the style it is represented in, more than whether they are humans or animals.

Personally, I just prefer using animals for the most part in my own stories because it makes it more interesting to me. In a lot humans and animals are actually mixed together. I like using animals and animal traits as symbolism and an alternate way of presenting a character. Plus incorporating animal traits and behaviours makes for a more diverse universe imo. Though if I were to attempt writing a different setting where animal characters would be a bit far-fetched or unnecessary, I could still do it.

Honestly, most human character is these days are pretty flat. People talk about how deep characters like Kratos and alloy and geralt are, but for the most part, I don't really care about backstories that much if I don't like the base character. Those three items mentioned have very generic to virtually non-existent personality is, and this is very common and a lot of modern media. It also doesn't help that a lot of modern media characters are human-sues and "pure and noble" Hunter stereotypes. Alloy, for example, was raised up pretty much to believe that non-human life was disposable and only exist to either kill humans or be killed by them. The guy in Red Dead Redemption also kills animals for quote unquote science and other things, which is something I absolutely cannot respect.

cheribun

I have no problem relating to human or non-human characters. It depends entirely on their experiences or personality for me, I guess. I can relate just as much to Yosuke from Persona as I can to Haida from Aggretsuko.

Last edited:

Baalf

I think my biggest problem with human characters in media is real life humans. By now, I probably made it clear how I feel about my own species, and that I have a very negative opinion on it. I feel like a big problem with our species is our narcissism. My experience with a lot of humans is that they don't care that were destroying the environment Oreck sending the thousands of animals into Extinction because "animals do such horrible things, so humans are so much better." A lot of animals have a certain things that humans see as horrible that is part of them as a specie is it is something they don't have complete control over. We as a species have no excuse.

Now, you can argue that not all humans are bad, but my problem is that most human characters in media project many of the things I hate about our species. "Humans relate to humans" is not an excuse to write narcissistic garbage. Humans do not need to be the only creatures of value in a story. They do not need to be the only creatures capable of doing good, or the only creatures that our main hero cares about it, or even the only creature that makes up the protagonists (sometimes).

One big thing that the absolutely kill is Dragon Quest 11 for me or the monsters. A lot of them are super cute and don't look evil, yet you, the oh so heroic human protagonist, still need to go out and slaughter them because that is what a hero is supposed to do. Sure, there are things like dogs, cats and horses that are allowed in the human society, but that isn't enough for me. Those three are so fucking common and mundane that it's not enough for me. Meanwhile, you are out slaughtering platypi and cute little saber kittens and little unicorn bunnies without any sort of thought, and I don't find this fun. I find it disgusting.

And don't even get me started on those little ghosts that pop up all the time. It is plainly obvious that Akira Toriyama can make Charming characters, but he never does so a good guy characters! Those fucking Bland as hell ghosts have absolutely none of the charm that any of the villains have. It gives me the impression that they made the heroes as boring as possible on fucking purpose!

Back on topic, I also hate that most heroes are a hunter of some type. Let's think of all the good people on planet Earth that could be put in the lime light. There's doctors, firefighters, veterinarians, police officers, and of course there's also the people who go out and rescue injured animals, by that I mean animals belonging to a species that's threatened or endangered. But no! People always feel the need to make their hero a Hunter! If you didn't know, Hunters are one of the biggest reasons I'm misanthropic. In my general experience with Hunters, they are heavily manipulative over environmental science, they Gaslight the concept of protecting the environment, they'll constantly demonize other people, and they treat themselves as the be-all end-all of animal saviorism, despite the fact they generally don't give two fucks about the lives of animals if any possible way they could help animals doesn't involve slaughtering hundreds of them! Yeah, these guys make much better Heroes than doctors or firefighters! maybe there are better Hunter is out there, but when I talk about how much I hate Hunters, I am usually referring to people like Sulfide or CynicalSerenade/Cynpai/FelIsTipsy/TiosyDigital/WHATEVER!

Oh yeah, not to mention that a lot of Heroes only care about humans, and will do anything to stop them from getting any sort of punishment, even if it's at the expense of millions upon millions of other creatures. Kid Icarus Uprising is one of my absolute least favorite games of all time because Pit is such a disgusting character for that reason. He goes through half the game trying to destroy as much nature as fucking possible just to stop humans from getting punished, and will even basically go on to say "oh, humans are bad, but they are above all other life-forms. They should not get any sort of punishment, not even learn any sort of lesson." FUCK YOU, PIT!!! You could argue that one of the villains was trying to completely wipe the human race out, but even if that is an extreme punishment, I wouldn't mind a piece of media where humans get SOMETHING in the form of a punishment. Instead of being narcissistic about our species and portraying us as these misunderstood little angels that are above all life and the planet itself, media should show that we are flawed, how we can better ourselves as a species, and what kind of punishment SHOULD happen if we fail to do so.

I understand if a hero wants to stop humans from being wiped out, but it always feels like it's at the expense of all other life-forms! Villains only seem to want to kill humans and nothing else, and these kind of villains infuriate me to no end. There's so many motives for being evil, and if you are creative, you can extend that villainy far past the human race. I rarely see that anymore. Most human centered media just feels like a fantasy representation that tries to make humans look as good as possible.

As it's probably clear, yes I am misanthropic, and a lot of the things I don't like about humans I see in most human characters in Media. In order for me to even attempt to like your human character, they need to be the exception and not the rule. They need to have a clear compassion for non-human life. They need to allow non-humans into their Circle, and the world within the story also needs to convey that life is valuable besides humans, and once again, this just feels like a dying concept.

All of this is a big reason why I legitimately do not enjoy it media with humans. I mean, I am fine with stuff like Hey Arnold and Bob's Burgers where it's more or less just humans but sometimes there's also animals involved that aren't demonized, but a lot of fantasy media centering around humans just pisses me off.

Last edited:

Positron

I have the same thing to a degree, for me it just feels like humans in movies, TV and games are painfully overdone. And for me I also have a tendency to relate and have a compassion for all non-human beings that I dont see in other people. I also tend to be sympathetic to alien characters in media. aliens fascinate me to no end, for example when I was little I watched the movie signs. Instead of being Intimidated I was fascinated by them, I wished the movie reveield more about them. And this is a big part of why I have a alien fursona.
I typically just get by on focusing on the plot of movies and shows but they have to be good in order to keep my interest long. I have a hard time doing this for games. Because in games I have to work for the plot and it becomes a grind for a plot that I can just wiki, it simply doesn't work. This is why all my games but three have or can have furries or alien playable characters.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat

I find that by design, they tend to be much more expressive and more thought tends to be put into their look and mannerisms and character, while a human just has to "act in a place". The range of human look variety can't possibly compare to the range of furry look variety, and therefore they draw you in easier I think.