• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Can't ship swag to UK?

Can I ask why? I mean, I know they left EU, but there's other countries in Europe not part of it (Norway, for example), so surely it's not that. I live in Sweden and can send stuff to my friend in Wales no problem. I'm just curious the reasoning.

Right but we're no longer an EU member, so things work differently now.
I realize that. But they didn't exclude any other country not in the EU, which I pointed out in the first post. Norway isn't in the EU and they'll ship there. Which is why I was asking why JUST the UK.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
"Shipping for FA merch is available globally, with exceptions to the following:
Europe: UK
Africa: Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha, Somalia
Oceania: Chatham Islands"

I sure hope this has jackshit to do with brexit, because that would be incredibly pathetic

No matter the case, you can always support a smaller, local creator instead

Fizzpop

I realize that. But they didn't exclude any other country not in the EU, which I pointed out in the first post. Norway isn't in the EU and they'll ship there. Which is why I was asking why JUST the UK.
I don’t know the intricacies of geopolitics or shipping routes/rules, but the UK is an island nation- it doesn’t have the luxury of an easily commutable land border like Norway does.

I doubt FA has made this decision lightly given the populace of the UK and I wouldn’t think this will be a permanent exclusion.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I don’t know the intricacies of geopolitics or shipping routes/rules, but the UK is an island nation- it doesn’t have the luxury of an easily commutable land border like Norway does.

I doubt FA has made this decision lightly given the populace of the UK and I wouldn’t think this will be a permanent exclusion.
Neither does Japan and yet they're not included in the exceptions. You'd think in the 21st century, we would've figured out I don't know... making boats

The only differences I've seen with shipping to/from the UK is having to pay imports now, vs previously. Times have been roughly the same (taking into account covid).

Yakamaru

Bad Jokes Inc.
Norway does use a lot of boats as well for shipping, so the island approach is nonsense. I am curious to know the reason, or reasons, as well to why the UK in all of Europe is not being shipped to.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
A7FA0233-2BAE-4400-A80B-EB50E2744887.jpeg

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Since January 1 this year, shipping to the UK means having to collect UK VAT, which means having to have a tax/business license in the UK.

Yeah I don't think FA wants to bother with that atm.
Probably why they choose not to.

Let's also not forget that if you have a US friend they can just buy the merch and ship it to you personally (and you can pay them back after).
If that doesn't work for you or you for whatever reason don't trust your friends, support local creators. They probably offer better stuff anyway.

Since January 1 this year, shipping to the UK means having to collect UK VAT, which means having to have a tax/business license in the UK.
ok, that makes sense, but the rule is stupid.

If I buy something from China, for example, I have to pay customs when it gets here, not the seller in China. It's basically forcing the tax on the seller, not the buyer.

quoting_mungo

ok, that makes sense, but the rule is stupid.

If I buy something from China, for example, I have to pay customs when it gets here, not the seller in China. It's basically forcing the tax on the seller, not the buyer.
I'm not personally familiar with how it works in practice; if you've bought stuff from China and gotten charged VAT on arrival after Jan 1 (note: purchase date after Jan 1, not delivery date), then obviously you would have personal experience. What everything I've read about it says (it came up a fair whack from indie artists in Nov/Dec or so) is that online marketplaces like Etsy are responsible for collecting the VAT for stuff sold on their platform, while independent sellers need to collect it on behalf of the UK themselves. That's also why a number of Kickstarters and indie artists' personal storefronts will now direct UK customers to Etsy if they sell to the UK at all.

I absolutely agree that the rule is daft. The EU is implementing something similar this summer, IIRC, and it'll be daft here, too, and make it way harder for indie artists to run their business without getting services like Etsy involved.

I'm not personally familiar with how it works in practice; if you've bought stuff from China and gotten charged VAT on arrival after Jan 1 (note: purchase date after Jan 1, not delivery date), then obviously you would have personal experience. What everything I've read about it says (it came up a fair whack from indie artists in Nov/Dec or so) is that online marketplaces like Etsy are responsible for collecting the VAT for stuff sold on their platform, while independent sellers need to collect it on behalf of the UK themselves. That's also why a number of Kickstarters and indie artists' personal storefronts will now direct UK customers to Etsy if they sell to the UK at all.

I absolutely agree that the rule is daft. The EU is implementing something similar this summer, IIRC, and it'll be daft here, too, and make it way harder for indie artists to run their business without getting services like Etsy involved.
Not sure if it was VAT or what it was. I just had to pay something to customs. Then again, I'm in Sweden

quoting_mungo

Not sure if it was VAT or what it was. I just had to pay something to customs. Then again, I'm in Sweden
VAT = moms :)
We’ll see what happens once the EU’s new policies go into effect, but I’m not looking forward to it. It’s possible that we end up with small businesses not offering shipping to the EU.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

Other European countries like Norway and Iceland are part of the 'EEA'- and extension of the European Union's single market. The UK's economic change was very recent- and the British government has not re-negotiated many of the previous agreements and market access we used to have.

We have the busiest shipping lane in the world and an under-sea freight connection. It's not difficult to move goods to the United Kingdom.

Ding ding ding ding.

When our Government made this decision, we were warned that it may mean foreign companies would simply close exports to the UK.

'This essentially means that overseas retailers sending goods to the UK are expected to register for UK VAT and account for it to HMRC if the sale value is less than €150 (£135).'

'For providing this service, [HMRC] intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK," said Dutch Bike Bits on its website. '
'Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea. '

There's no reason we have to do this. We just decided to be special for some reason. :}

Fallowfox

"Shipping for FA merch is available globally, with exceptions to the following:
Europe: UK
Africa: Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha, Somalia
Oceania: Chatham Islands"

I sure hope this has jackshit to do with brexit, because that would be incredibly pathetic

No matter the case, you can always support a smaller, local creator instead

In short, it's actually because the United Kingdom now expects *any company anywhere in the world* to complete tax returns for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.

Did our country have to do this because of leaving the EU? No.

Why are we doing it? Who knows?

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Why are we doing it? Who knows?
To pay for social programs maybe? I've heard many MANY taxes are coming across the board to do exactly that

Fallowfox

To pay for social programs maybe? I've heard many MANY taxes are coming across the board to do exactly that

We don't have a clear reason for this rule change.
It is unlikely to be delivering an increase in tax revenues, since what it's mostly achieved is people stopping sales to the UK.

I think our country just thinks it's more important than the rest of the world does. Our leaders *genuinely thought* if we asked *everybody in the world* to fill out British tax returns that they'll do it.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
We don't have a clear reason for this rule change.
It is unlikely to be delivering an increase in tax revenues, since what it's mostly achieved is people stopping sales to the UK
What you're saying is that it's misguided, but it's probably actually about paying for social programs

Fallowfox

What you're saying is that it's misguided, but it's probably actually about paying for social programs
It's not, Frank.
The current British government isn't exactly well known for investing in social programs.
*cough* 90% reduction to funding front-line polio vaccines. *cough*

This one's just because they're not very good at their jobs, I'm afraid.