• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Can't ship swag to UK?

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
It's not, Frank.
The current British government isn't exactly well known for investing in social programs.
*cough* 90% reduction to funding front-line polio vaccines. *cough*

This one's just because they're not very good at their jobs, I'm afraid.
You just said you didn't know tho. And given the weight of social programs (and the timing with the EU preparing for a gigantic increase in taxes), it's probably there that it's headed, lel

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
You just said you didn't know tho. And given the weight of social programs (and the timing with the EU preparing for a gigantic increase in taxes), it's probably there that it's headed, lel

The UK has a conservative government well known for privatising nationalised industries and reducing social spending.

This tax change isn't a prelude to a massive increase in British social spending. I don't expect to see any social benefits like more police officers in my town or better playgrounds for the children coming my way, unfortunately.

I know it would be nice to believe that they have a rational, sensible reason, for making life more difficult for businesses and customers. But there's your mistake; assuming that the British government is rational and reasonable.

You don't have to live here though. Lucky you.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
This tax change isn't a prelude to a massive increase in British social spending.
Who's talking about an increase? there's going to be a recession caused by lockdowns and less people are employed than ever, they'll need the big taxes
regardless

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Who's talking about an increase? there's going to be a recession caused by lockdowns and less people are employed than ever, they'll need the big taxes
regardless
They'd have to increase income tax, Frank.

You're not going to make up the 200% GDP debt by changing where VAT is declared. Remember- this isn't actually an *increase* on those taxes. It's a change in *where* they are paid.

HMRC isn't *actually* increasing the money it makes as a result of doing this.

quoting_mungo

They'd have to increase income tax, Frank.

You're not going to make up the 200% GDP debt by changing where VAT is declared. Remember- this isn't actually an *increase* on those taxes. It's a change in *where* they are paid.

HMRC isn't *actually* increasing the money it makes as a result of doing this.
At best it's saving them a few bucks on people sending out "hey please pay VAT on this cheap crap you bought from China" to private citizens. They might even be able to cut a few jobs! :V

Lutro

Writer
So has anyone from FA actually answered the question yet or is everyone in this thread just soapboxing whatever viewpoints they want to espouse about taxes and the UK and stuff.

Feels like little's getting accomplished here.

quoting_mungo

So has anyone from FA actually answered the question yet or is everyone in this thread just soapboxing whatever viewpoints they want to espouse about taxes and the UK and stuff.

Feels like little's getting accomplished here.
What I said (and @Fallowfox expanded a bit upon) about requiring foreign businesses to collect VAT on the UK’s behalf, and to register with the UK tax authorities to do so, is factual. While it’s technically an educated guess that this is indeed the reason, it matches what other online sellers have been doing since the start of the year.

There’s also this tweet from the FA Twitter account that identifies it as “an issue with Brexit:”