• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Car or Fursuit?

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I've seen folks choose a fursuit over *rent*, the shitty priorities know no bounds. I've failed to talk someone out of using their emergency savings fund to buy a 2.5k fullsuit.
And I've seen the same types of people incapable of getting a job, insisting they can't because-
they don't have a car.

I don't understand how these people function in society.

FlannelFox

dem leggies
How are they so expensive anyway?
Not counting some of the nicer realistic suits and the cartoony ones with the digi legs, the only real finely crafted part is the head. The rest of most fursuits just looks like a fuzzy body sock..

Shameful_Cole

Shameful Idiot
The fuck are going to even do with a fursuit if you don't have a car? Go to cons? Go to meets? Wait a minute...

Get a car, you can use it for practical shit and the fun shit.

Shameful_Cole

Shameful Idiot
Not counting some of the nicer realistic suits and the cartoony ones with the digi legs, the only real finely crafted part is the head. The rest of most fursuits just looks like a fuzzy body sock..
My guess would be just that it's not just pulled off of a shelf, but actually made from someone's ideas, with a lot of hours of work, even if it doesn't look pretty. Also not to mention that this low of demand tends to mean higher price.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
Quality notwithstanding, they require a LOT of labor. Labor is expensive. And faux fur is expensive. Even the "fuzzy body socks" require a decent amount of labor, and they are material-heavy.
Factor in equipment (sewing machines are pricey) and shipping (fursuits can be upwards of 100 bucks to ship) and hey, now you've got a 900 dollar fox in a box.

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I suppose you're right but it just seems like a shop should be able to streamline the process a lot better.
Guess I'd have to make one to understand.
You can take fursuit out of the equation. Any custom-made product is expensive. You can lower costs when they are mass-produced and pre-made.
Try going to a tailor and getting a custom garment. It is exponentially more expensive than going to Target and picking up a jacket. It could be done, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone to fund a run of mass-produced fursuits. The market isn't large enough to justify it.

Wonderloaf

I'll kill me faster then you
I honestly have no idea. I think it's what was mentioned about the labour and hand crafting. They were thinking 1500 to 3000

G

Garg

fursuits are cringy. cars kill people. build a PC instead. </sarcasm>
in all seriousness, buy the fursuit if you can do lewd stuff with it with someone
if you aren't, then I'm gonna have a hard time recommending it over a car, then again. cars do kill people more than terrorist and fursuits can kill you from the heat. so I say, build a PC!

FlannelFox

dem leggies
You can take fursuit out of the equation. Any custom-made product is expensive. You can lower costs when they are mass-produced and pre-made.[...] The market isn't large enough to justify it.
Fursuits are custom but they are all alike to a degree. More or less it's the same materials all across the board, right? Similar patterns, similar headshape... I know there's not a lot of demand, but there's enough that whoever figures out how to put a $500 fursuit on someone's door is going to be drowning in business.
I'm just saying I think it's possible.

K

kink-shame

I have had a few people argue that the consent cost of a car (insurance, gas, repairs) would in the end add up way too much, and that they would get more use out of a fur suit, and just take a cab everywhere.
Last time I checked, a minimum cab fee is $9 which to and from a job is $18 day (full time job is 5 days a week) $90 a week , $360 a month just getting to work, also consider going to the store for groceries, having your own car would seem cheaper in the long run.

Wonderloaf

I'll kill me faster then you
I have had a few people argue that the consent cost of a car (insurance, gas, repairs) would in the end add up way too much, and that they would get more use out of a fur suit, and just take a cab everywhere.
Last time I checked, a minimum cab fee is $9 which to and from a job is $18 day (full time job is 5 days a week) $90 a week , $360 a month just getting to work, also consider going to the store for groceries, having your own car would seem cheaper in the long run.
But furrys don't have jobs, get with the program.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
tbh i'd do the same prob (first getting a license ofc)
...I'm a paranoid f**k okay? :D
You live somewhere where you need a firearms license? You poor soul.

bhutrflai

Okami The Wolf is my crazy half!
Umm..car. Especially if you don't already have one. Hell, car repairs come before a fursuit. Lots of stuff would come before a suit in my world. But that is because I am a mom w/ 2 teens to raise, a mortgage to pay for the next 28 &1/2 yrs, and a small business to run. I'd have to save $20 or $50 at a time, when we could spare it, if I really just had to have one, which I don't.

Now, @Okami_No_Heishi would probably pick the fursuit. (I think he hit his head really hard when he fell down the furry rabbit hole!!)

O

Okami_No_Heishi

Umm..car. Especially if you don't already have one. Hell, car repairs come before a fursuit. Lots of stuff would come before a suit in my world. But that is because I am a mom w/ 2 teens to raise, a mortgage to pay for the next 28 &1/2 yrs, and a small business to run. I'd have to save $20 or $50 at a time, when we could spare it, if I really just had to have one, which I don't.

Now, @Okami_No_Heishi would probably pick the fursuit. (I think he hit his head really hard when he fell down the furry rabbit hole!!)
I Love You Sweetheart!!!

O

Okami_No_Heishi

I am still reeling, ok!