• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Changing aspect ratios on widescreen monitors

Buccura

I go by Bucky Seifert now
I have a 20' widescreen Dell monitor S2009W and, unlike of course the older monitors, there is no option on the monitor setting to squeeze the image. I've hopped various tech forums, but I am wondering if anyone here knows a way to change the aspect ratio to a standard 4:3 for when I play games that don't support a wide screen monitor.

I also have a 9800GT nVidia GPU, if that helps at all.

AshleyAshes

Arcade Snowmew Of Doom
Of the OSD menu for the monitor doesn't contain some sort of 'don't resize' option for when the input resolution is smaller than the resolution of the monitor itself, you're likely SOL.

However most monitors DO have that function.

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
Well, you could try the nVidia driver's built-in scaling. It should be listed somewhere in the nVidia control panel. There will be three options "Use monitor's built-in scaling", "Use nVidia GPU to scale to fullscreen" or "Use nVidia GPU to scale while keeping aspect ratio." (Or something like that... Can't remember the exact words.) Oh, plus you have to be using DVI, not the "old" analog VGA cable.

Just a warning though, it's kinda hit and miss if it'll even work. It's been documented on many a forum that the nVidia scaling just plain doesn't work on certain brands of monitors. (Not sure about Dell, I know Acer's have a problem, as I have one and never could get the scaling to work. I switched to an ATI card and now it works...)

Buccura

Oh, plus you have to be using DVI, not the "old" analog VGA cable.

I have a DVI socket but the monitor is plugged in using a DVI to VGA adapter, I'm assuming that will basically make it run off the VGA without the DVI perks won't it.

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
I have a DVI socket but the monitor is plugged in using a DVI to VGA adapter, I'm assuming that will basically make it run off the VGA without the DVI perks won't it.

Yup, it'll be using good ol' analog VGA. (Some of the "pins" on a DVI connector still send the old analog VGA signals. This was done to help with the changeover.) It has to be a true DVI-DVI connection in order for the GPU scaling to work. It's mostly due to the monitor being able to send back data to the GPU/drivers like screen size, native resolution, native aspect, etc.

Buccura

Guess I am SOL for now until I get a monitor that can change the ratio. I still have a 4:3 monitor right behind this new one that came with the PC, just I hate having the rewire everything just to play older games.

SailorYue

im His kitty cat
get a switchl.... talk to some geeks at radio shack or best buy, i think theres a a/b switch for cmpouter moniters

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
May I ask what games you play that require this? Sometimes, you can change the game's ratio...

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
May I ask what games you play that require this? Sometimes, you can change the game's ratio...

Aye this - some older games have either text-based config files or registry entries you can edit to force a video mode. For example, on Morrowind, I did a registry edit to force it to support 1680x1050 on my system, and 1400x900 on a friend's PC.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
Same goes for dungeon keeper, Red Alert 3, an Wolfenstein:ET even has console commands for custom resolutions.