• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Changing Hair Colors..

FayeBunny

Do you change your sona's hair color to match your own when you get a different color?

This mostly goes for people who's sonas are meant to be them or resemble them, I guess. ^u^' I'm gonna be having my hair dyed soon for the first time in 6 or 7 years. I'm also considering changing my sona's hair color to the color I get, but I'm not really sure it would match the rest of her design very well, and I don't want to change the whole design. Maybe I'll test it out and see if it looks alright with her design, but I think I'd feel weird if one of the few things my sona physically has to resemble me suddenly doesn't anymore.
I also really hope this is the right category.. I'm super new to this whole thing.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
I've only changed her hair once and it was to make it redder so it was easier to distinguish from her facial patterns, because commissioned artists kept merging her forehead crest into her hair. Which looked odd.

Oddly enough though, red is the only colour I've ever dyed my hair (once, when I was 5), and considering I started with a colour similar to mine irl that seems apt.

What I will note though is hairstyle. Hers is very much just a longer, more Feminine version of my own. I've always wanted longer hair. I'm not sure if it'd suit me but given my past with Trichotillomania I feel I need to make up somehow. Maybe, in retrospect, that was part of the reason I made my primary sona female despite being a guy.

I expect if I change my hair irl her style will go with it. But not the colour. I feel anything else would look off now.

FayeBunny

I've only changed her hair once and it was to make it redder so it was easier to distinguish from her facial patterns, because commissioned artists kept merging her forehead crest into her hair. Which looked odd.

Oddly enough though, red is the only colour I've ever dyed my hair (once, when I was 5), and considering I started with a colour similar to mine irl that seems apt.

What I will note though is hairstyle. Hers is very much just a longer, more Feminine version of my own. I've always wanted longer hair. I'm not sure if it'd suit me but given my past with Trichotillomania I feel I need to make up somehow. Maybe, in retrospect, that was part of the reason I made my primary sona female despite being a guy.

I expect if I change my hair irl her style will go with it. But not the colour. I feel anything else would look off now.
My sona's hair color is as close to my real hair color I could get, but it looks so different in different lighting and different times of year so it's not entirely accurate.

Hah, my mom wouldn't let me dye my hair until I was like 15, I can't even imagine it being dyed at 5. She's still iffy about it, but she's not going to tell me not to do it, she just would rather me keep my natural color.

My hair is already pretty long, but for some reason I always want it longer. But if you want your hair to be longer, I'd recommend looking into the vitamins for hair growth specifically. I don't know you so I don't know if any of this applies, but wearing hats a lot can cause hair to break while it's short, same with hair ties. Dry hair also breaks easier, so finding a good conditioner can help, too. Sorry if this is all unwanted advice, please just ignore it if it is. It's a sort of bad habit of mine to give advice without being asked..

As for changing style, that makes sense. I don't ever really style my hair, though, it's always either down or in a ponytail when I need it out of my face. Mostly because I just never learned how.

Ziv

PokéManiac
This is kind of an interesting hypothetical for me, since my sona's hairstyle is directly based on mine, and the color is also kind of based on mine but it's inverted. Like, my hair is pretty much flat black and I gave my sona pure white hair. So if I were to dye my hair, would my sona have the complementary color?

It's hypothetical since I will probably never dye my hair again. My hair is naturally very curly, and I prefer it that way... all the bleach it takes to strip away that flat black color ruins the texture every time (yes I've had it done by professionals, at some crazy prices too).

FayeBunny

This is kind of an interesting hypothetical for me, since my sona's hairstyle is directly based on mine, and the color is also kind of based on mine but it's inverted. Like, my hair is pretty much flat black and I gave my sona pure white hair. So if I were to dye my hair, would my sona have the complementary color?

It's hypothetical since I will probably never dye my hair again. My hair is naturally very curly, and I prefer it that way... all the bleach it takes to strip away that flat black color ruins the texture every time (yes I've had it done by professionals, at some crazy prices too).
That could be interesting to do, in the event you did dye your hair again. I know there's some dyes that work in black hair, but they're also very dark. My hair is also sort of curly, it's more wavy and gets curly toward the ends. Luckily, I have a sort of medium/light ish hair color, so I don't have to bleach it, but the color from the dye will just end up a little darker.

btw, completely off topic but I love your pfp, N is great. Probably my favorite Pokemon character. :)

Ziv

PokéManiac
That could be interesting to do, in the event you did dye your hair again. I know there's some dyes that work in black hair, but they're also very dark. My hair is also sort of curly, it's more wavy and gets curly toward the ends. Luckily, I have a sort of medium/light ish hair color, so I don't have to bleach it, but the color from the dye will just end up a little darker.

btw, completely off topic but I love your pfp, N is great. Probably my favorite Pokemon character. :)

Lol! Thank you. I'm waiting on art of my sona so this is generally what I use in the meantime. I'm a big fan of Pokemon, puzzles and strategy games, math, and green hair.

Those dyes would probably be okay, but I doubt they'd have much effect because my hair is pretty much #000 black. I also have type 3 hair (a/b/c is debatable and different references seem totally different, so I'll just stick to saying I'm a 3) and you sound more like a 2, not true curly. (No offense. Wavy hair can look really nice too. Lol)

Ziv

PokéManiac

Actually... a picture is worth a thousand words so I just put a photo in the cut. My hair is short here and my curl pattern is fairly long (it's curly -- not kinked) but you can see it even at this length. When it's REALLY short it's not visibly curly but it sticks straight up (with no product) in a way that straight hair doesn't.

tumblr_ps8inkihjG1v5mbp5_1280.jpg

FayeBunny

Actually... a picture is worth a thousand words so I just put a photo in the cut. My hair is short here and my curl pattern is fairly long (it's curly -- not kinked) but you can see it even at this length. When it's REALLY short it's not visibly curly but it sticks straight up (with no product) in a way that straight hair doesn't.

I'm not very familiar with the technical terms involving hair, so I really have no idea. My hair is also really different sometimes. There's times it's almost ringlet curls and times it's barely wavy, and I dont curl or straighten it or do anything other than just wash and brush it so I don't know why. When I was little it was pretty much just straight and so light it was almost white, it just got curlier and darker as I got older. Hair is weird ^^'

Ziv

PokéManiac
I'm not very familiar with the technical terms involving hair, so I really have no idea. My hair is also really different sometimes. There's times it's almost ringlet curls and times it's barely wavy, and I dont curl or straighten it or do anything other than just wash and brush it so I don't know why. When I was little it was pretty much just straight and so light it was almost white, it just got curlier and darker as I got older. Hair is weird ^^'

Yeah, that's a 2. My hair is never straight. I can't straighten it even with a straightener, and once I let an ex try a curling iron on it and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever.