• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Changing my Legal Name to Fursona Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Hey kiddo, you're lying!

Changing your name away from Kyle is fine. If you don't like your past, shed it. That's totally legit.

But not liking your past doesn't mean naming yourself your fursona forever. There may come a time five years from now when you recognise that your fursona is not a true, permanent identity for you.

Choose a name with more meaning than a mere avatar. "Lox" is a great name, but what does Maximillan mean to you? Is that meaning important enough to name yourself? Who is Lox Luov?

D

De_lox

Hey kiddo, you're lying!

Changing your name away from Kyle is fine. If you don't like your past, shed it. That's totally legit.

But not liking your past doesn't mean naming yourself your fursona forever. There may come a time five years from now when you recognise that your fursona is not a true, permanent identity for you.
Choose a name with more meaning than a mere avatar.
Lying about what?

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Lying about what?
Well, not 'lying', just kinda... I don't think you fully understand what you're doing. So, it's more accurate to say that you're deluding yourself.

Think it all the way through before you choose the name Lox Maximillan Luov. "Lox" is fine, but Maximillan Luov lacks meaning, etymology...

... you're simply naming yourself after your fursona, rather than choosing an identity which is 'really you'.

D

De_lox

Well, not 'lying', just kinda... I don't think you fully understand what you're doing. So, it's more accurate to say that you're deluding yourself.

Think it all the way through before you choose the name Lox Maximillan Luov. "Lox" is fine, but Maximillan Luov lacks meaning, etymology...

... you're simply naming yourself after your fursona, rather than choosing an identity which is 'really you'.
My fursona is the real me. What I want to be and what I want to do rather than what my parents want. I'm not even allowed to pursue the career of my dreams. If I say I want to work on a K-9 unit in immigration and customs enforcement I'm told that I'm "not living up to my full potential" and that I need to be a doctor or lawyer or something.

Voresh

I feel like OP is being misunderstood a little. Don't get me wrong, I fully well understand that you're all trying to get the point across of 'do not do anything that will fuck up your future' to him, but what he's going through is a big deal, even if it doesn't seem it. We've all gone through shit at one stage or another in our lives, and every individual deals with (or doesn't) in different ways. I'm actually in a very similar position, but I guess I've been lucky because I have really good friends and met some incredible people during school/college that helped me through the worst of times. That doesn't mean what we've been through doesn't have long term impacts though.

If changing your mind will help rid you of the past (which probably won't be likely due to long term psychological damage) then by all means go for it. Do acknowledge what the other guys are telling you, it kinda is a big deal so make sure you're 100% certain you'd like to go through with it. But one thing I'll leave you with is that: maybe changing your name isn't the answer. I've thought about it too, but then I eventually decided against it because even if it's the name they gave me, it's the name I had when I had to endure all the crap and I managed to get through the worst of it. That's something not everyone does succeed with unfortunately so I am grateful for that and want to give my name some meaning even if they couldn't.

Blu-wolf

Blu-ray howl!
This can be a lengthy discussion, but if you want to say do the K-9 unit in law enforcement and your parents don't feel that's the best thing for you, if you're relying on them for financial help, then its up to you to let them know why it is the job for you. You come up with every positive thing about why this job is important for you and for others (e.g. community, state, nation, whatever). Only you can sell yourself on why that is the best thing for you. On the other hand, if you intend to go and pursue your dreams, and fund them yourself, then you can do what you choose. That's how it goes.

Listen to what many are saying about the name change, myself included.

D

De_lox

This can be a lengthy discussion, but if you want to say do the K-9 unit in law enforcement and your parents don't feel that's the best thing for you, if you're relying on them for financial help, then its up to you to let them know why it is the job for you. You come up with every positive thing about why this job is important for you and for others (e.g. community, state, nation, whatever). Only you can sell yourself on why that is the best thing for you. On the other hand, if you intend to go and pursue your dreams, and fund them yourself, then you can do what you choose. That's how it goes.

Listen to what many are saying about the name change, myself included.
They won't be supporting me because I'm leaving ASAP. Hopefully I can get a scholarship for my grades. Or for water polo. Or for wrestling. Or for javelin/shot put.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Ya, like the spaceman pointed out, I have attempted to say my name was Zipline Orange in the past, it did not go over well.

My father did all of those things.. Including killing himself on my birthday.
Damn, man :( I'm sorry to hear <3

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
My fursona is the real me. What I want to be and what I want to do rather than what my parents want. I'm not even allowed to pursue the career of my dreams. If I say I want to work on a K-9 unit in immigration and customs enforcement I'm told that I'm "not living up to my full potential" and that I need to be a doctor or lawyer or something.
Yo.....buddy.....um.....I don't know if you know this, but there's a difference between an interest (be it a simple fascination or a sexual fantasy) in anthropomorphic animals and actually believing you are your fursona. What you're talking about falls distinctly into Otherkin territory.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
I have a question. Would you:

A) Want to live around people who don't care about what you do. Claim to understand you, because they, too, are the same way. Don't mind what you choose to do, as a living, or if you're struggling in life, BUT they don't really care about you, don't care who you are (that doesn't effect them any), don't care what you choose to be, because that's your life (not theirs), and if you're struggling, oh well. It doesn't effect them. And they wouldn't care if you died tomorrow. Won't see them at your funeral.

Or

B) People who give a shit about what you do, truly understand you, more than you know. They do care what you choose to be in life because they never want to see you struggle. These things don't effect them any, but they give a shit. Sometimes they care too much, and it can become emotionally scaring. You will see them at your funeral, and they will be balling their eyes out, wondering if they were good parents and if they could have done something better.

I used to feel drowned by my parents, too. I had friends I thought understood me more and cared more, cause they didn't yell at me with every given breath. However, guess where those friends are, now. Gome. They ditched me as soon as they got married. I always hear words like, "we should hang out more!" I invite them to do stuff and it's, "Oh I have a head ache.."
Where are my parents? Supportive. Still there. They don't yell nearly as much and I found they know me and knew things about me that I had never told them.
Once you move out, your parents aren't as.. Nagging. They calm down, normally. I'm just glad I didn't really chose temporary companions over forever family.

ShamonCornell

As Voresh said: don't take what we're all saying as "don't do it, that's stupid", so much as "Dude? Seriously, you want to sit somewhere quiet, like a random forest clearing and such, and spend some time seriously THINKING, long and hard, about this, before you do it."

This is the kind of thing that CAN backfire absurdly, and it calls for all the care, thought and such you would assign to disarming a bomb. Or seating a truck tire. There's argument about which is more dangerous.

There's more I could say, about how names tell stories, how names are part of our stories and such...but that's probably for another thread.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
So I'm just going to explain it as simple as I can. I have very unsupportive parents. Essentially all the do is give me food, water, shelter, and be incredibly harsh on me. I am forced to be immaculate and treated like a delinquent. I am forced to be perfect and expected to do better. They don't care about who I am, what my dreams or passions are, and all that seems to satisfy them is my grades. They won't even allow me to be a furry. Apparently we're "all sick perverts who have sex with animals in costume." I also can't express my sexuality either. Because "I'm autistic and can't be bisexual because I can't understand emotions like other people". However this fandom has been an escape for me. Here I am accepted. Here I am supported. At home I have a notebook (which I must hide) in which I draw and write pretending to be my fursona and him living the life I wish I had. I draw and write about him having a big loving family and lots of friends and the most perfect mate he could ever imagine. All of which care and support him and his passions. My fursona has become my idol. I strive to be him. And when I turn 18 I will make a fursuit of him and start my own life where I can be him and find that family I deserve. I want to change my legal name too. Because I am not Kyle Benjamin Daily. I am Lox Maximillan Lvov. Kyle is simply a name my parents gave me and it means nothing to me. Lox is who I truly am and who I strive to be. Any thoughts on this. Is it a stupid idea? Or what?
Definitely wait until you move out and start this life you dream of before you make this decision, not because I think you're making a dumb decision at all, just the opposite: Carry the name that's with you as a reminder to keep working at it.

I know what it's like to grow up knowing there'll be a day you'll never see your parents again, and waiting like a sitting duck for that day to come. And it's not like people on the internet understand why there's no going back for you once you make decisions like this, they can't see the looks these people are giving you or the kind of person they're trying to mould you into. I mean, everything I've learned has been the exact results of acting the opposite of my parents, which is why (This may look like I'm giving myself too much credit, but it's just facts) people feel so comfortable around me and are able to express their true selves around me; I mean, god dammit, if someone asks me to stay the night I always bring a box of tissues because I know this friend is going to tell me something serious when it gets that late. I've been the family to many people who I know need it, so I know I don't need my own parent.

So carry this... phantom pain of your lost innocence and carry on with your dreams, and message me if you wanna talk.

BUT GOD DAMMIT GET A DIFFERENT FURSONA NAME, YOU SOUND LIKE A COMMUNIST!

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Definitely wait until you move out and start this life you dream of before you make this decision, not because I think you're making a dumb decision at all, just the opposite: Carry the name that's with you as a reminder to keep working at it.

I know what it's like to grow up knowing there'll be a day you'll never see your parents again, and waiting like a sitting duck for that day to come. And it's not like people on the internet understand why there's no going back for you once you make decisions like this, they can't see the looks these people are giving you or the kind of person they're trying to mould you into. I mean, everything I've learned has been the exact results of acting the opposite of my parents, which is why (This may look like I'm giving myself too much credit, but it's just facts) people feel so comfortable around me and are able to express their true selves around me; I mean, god dammit, if someone asks me to stay the night I always bring a box of tissues because I know this friend is going to tell me something serious when it gets that late. I've been the family to many people who I know need it, so I know I don't need my own parent.

So carry this... phantom pain of your lost innocence and carry on with your dreams, and message me if you wanna talk.

BUT GOD DAMMIT GET A DIFFERENT FURSONA NAME, YOU SOUND LIKE A COMMUNIST!
I dunno dude. Marx was a pretty damn good name for a final boss in Kirby. Damn good boss, too, considering they copy-pasted him into SSBB.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
P.S. I should add that I'm not suggesting that you should bend over and take whatever they dish out at you. It is ok to be ambitious and chase after your goals. If you want to be a K-9 Unit, than by all means go for it! If you really find you want to change your name, go for it. If you want to live out the identity of your Fursona, than do it.
What I'm trying to get at, though, is there is no substitute for your parents. No one is going to give a shit as hard as they do. Even if they do give too much of a shit, and go to the extremes. There isn't some better, perfect, parents out there. There isn't a family that will care about you as much as your real ones.
All you will find is lies and deception. You may find people you'll get close to, and they get close to you back, but it's very rare that those things last forever.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
P.S. I should add that I'm not suggesting that you should bend over and take whatever they dish out at you. It is ok to be ambitious and chase after your goals. If you want to be a K-9 Unit, than by all means go for it! If you really find you want to change your name, go for it. If you want to live out the identity of your Fursona, than do it.
What I'm trying to get at, though, is there is no substitute for your parents. No one is going to give a shit as hard as they do. Even if they do give too much of a shit, and go to the extremes. There isn't some better, perfect, parents out there. There isn't a family that will care about you as much as your real ones.
All you will find is lies and deception. You may find people you'll get close to, and they get close to you back, but it's very rare that those things last forever.
When he says he'll look for a family I think he means a mate, I could be wrong though.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Yo.....buddy.....um.....I don't know if you know this, but there's a difference between an interest (be it a simple fascination or a sexual fantasy) in anthropomorphic animals and actually believing you are your fursona. What you're talking about falls distinctly into Otherkin territory.

Shh, we don't talk or associate with otherkin

We don't even speak the name which dare not be uttered lest it be mocked constantly

um_pineapplez

Mage of Void, dammit.
Shh, we don't talk or associate with otherkin

We don't even speak the name which dare not be uttered lest it be mocked constantly
What? I was just stating that this forum was probably the wrong place to talk about this sh!t.

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Personally, Kid, I think your issues stem from something other than your Parents. I think what is really making you unhappy isn't your Parents, but your delusions. Sounds like you are constantly wishing things are the way they are in your little fantasy life story that your Fursona lives, and it's because of these strong desires that you only see the negatives in your real life.
The more you want something that is not, the more unhappy you will be, and it isn't necessarily someone else's fault, but your own.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Personally, Kid, I think your issues stem from something other than your Parents. I think what is really making you unhappy isn't your Parents, but your delusions. Sounds like you are constantly wishing things are the way they are in your little fantasy life story that your Fursona lives, and it's because of these strong desires that you only see the negatives in your real life.
The more you want something that is not, the more unhappy you will be, and it isn't necessarily someone else's fault, but your own.

Oh shit this is fucking savage like DAMN

What? I was just stating that this forum was probably the wrong place to talk about this sh!t.

Shh, it's okay we understand. Otherkin are to be mocked, not help

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
If you feel no real emotional connection to your folks, and relatives, you're free to choose whatever name you like, and maybe, this is best. I dunno.

But I might wait a while. Give it time to settle out, some. Wait a few years, get out on yer oen two feet. Take a look bak, and then see. Parents can change, mine did. Not always, but it happens.

Is there land or an inheritance involved?

Be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.