• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Main Site Changing Username

Toasty9399

Above Earth
I'm probably not the first want this, but I really wish there was a way of changing your username on the main website. I don't want to make a new account.
Account renames are currently in development. Once completed, we will make them available to all Fur Affinity members.
This has been here longer than I can remember. Is there a reason why it's taking so long to fix this?

Marveri

Seriously. I made my acc when I was in high school and I hate the name, but here I am 12 years later still waiting for this feature. It's so easy to do this on almost every other furry website... like, hello? I get that this takes a while, but what's the holdup? It's never clearly explained.

quoting_mungo

I get that this takes a while, but what's the holdup? It's never clearly explained.
FA wasn’t originally designed as a behemoth of a site, and some design decisions made were... not great. That includes database design. At some point in time, at least, usernames were literally the key column of the user database, if I’ve understood things correctly.

If you don’t know database lingo, the key column is what holds the unique identifier of any given database row. It’s sort of, in a metaphorical way, like the page numbers of a book. And most databases will use an incremented integer as their key column (a number that might never be visible outside the database at all, mind you - it’s still useful for cross-referencing tables!), which is a much more flexible solution when it comes to things like username changes. But imagine you had to try to find a specific page by searching for the first sentence on that page? Changing the schema of a database is not something you do lightly, and if you do it on a production site and mess up, Bad Things are liable to happen.

That’s one of the technical hurdles that have to be overcome, even without UI concerns and information presentation considerations. And it’s one that I know has been explained multiple times. Practically all the work done on this sort of feature will also be “under the hood” work, which I believe the administration has been trying to alternate with more visible changes.

On top of that, the last couple of years have seen the passage of online privacy legislation in multiple areas where FA has users, and compliance with legislation is kind of one of those things that have to be pushed to the front of the queue no matter what. Research regarding the future of Flash content has also been an issue with a timeline imposed by outside forces, so any work done to e.g. get the site ready to implement/integrate Ruffle would likely also come out of the same development schedule.

Also FA has historically had a lot of legacy spaghetti in its code, so to whatever degree that’s still the case, new features are going to be hard to implement without breaking something else in the process.

All or most of these issues have been described by staff members in the past. I get that some explanations may not be very clear if you don’t have the technical understanding required to follow them, and that’s understandable. But even with that I wouldn’t agree that it’s never been clearly explained. I suspect that it’s rather a matter of you not being satisfied with the explanations available and/or that you are conflating “clear” with “exhaustive.”

Marveri

I suspect that it’s rather a matter of you not being satisfied with the explanations available and/or that you are conflating “clear” with “exhaustive.”
I guess I am conflating that, I'm not sure because I don't really frequent here. I asked Dragoneer at the beginning of last year and he literally told me GDPR and CCPA requirements, that there are database changes that need to be done, and that he wanted to get it done last year which apparently did not happen. And now I understand what it is, it sounded really vague to me before so thanks for giving me the details.

You're right that I don't know shit, but I would assume that they might want to hire more people with knowledge about this if it's taking them such a long time to get these things done. It seems like the problems they're having will only get worse as time goes on.

quoting_mungo

You're right that I don't know shit, but I would assume that they might want to hire more people with knowledge about this if it's taking them such a long time to get these things done. It seems like the problems they're having will only get worse as time goes on.
It’s okay to not know things, and to ask about those things, and I do apologize for being a bit snide about it in my previous post. It’s been a “no explanation is ever good enough” situation for a very long time, and to some degree I took my irritation with that out on you, which was wrong of me.

FA operates on a limited budget and likely doesn’t have the funds to bring in an extra developer to work on this feature.

I don’t know all details, and can’t go into every aspect of what I do know since I learned it under NDA, but I don’t doubt that there’s every intention to eventually have a username change feature in place. The take-home lesson, if anything, is that it’s a much harder feature to add after the fact than it is to work into your original design.

Marveri

It’s okay to not know things, and to ask about those things, and I do apologize for being a bit snide about it in my previous post. It’s been a “no explanation is ever good enough” situation for a very long time, and to some degree I took my irritation with that out on you, which was wrong of me.

FA operates on a limited budget and likely doesn’t have the funds to bring in an extra developer to work on this feature.

I don’t know all details, and can’t go into every aspect of what I do know since I learned it under NDA, but I don’t doubt that there’s every intention to eventually have a username change feature in place. The take-home lesson, if anything, is that it’s a much harder feature to add after the fact than it is to work into your original design.
Well then I will wait. Maybe this year will be the year? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯