• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Character design tips?

HazelCat

I'm obnoxious
the title says it all, I've kind of come to a dead end of my brain when I try to design characters of my own, (and stories too) so maybe some helpful tips?

Tendo64

Siamese Weeb
I don't design a lot these days, but when I used to design characters, I liked to look up color palettes on Google. They help give inspiration for designs, I've found. :)

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I can come up with stories for anything. Are you designing characters for yourself or to sell?

cerulean_blues

Here's a fun one to help break your block!
Mash your keyboard, and pick the first consonant and first vowel. Put them into your pinterest, google images, etc, and let it autofill your search.
Pick a number between 1-20. The image corresponds to that number in your search is your inspiration image.
Go here: Coolors
Generate a palette.
Finally, pick another letter. Use it to choose an animal from this list to work off of:
a-z-animals.com: A to Z Index of Animals
I find it to be incredibly helpful in breaking a block, especially if I tell myself that the result doesn't have to be good!

HazelCat

I'm obnoxious
Here's a fun one to help break your block!
Mash your keyboard, and pick the first consonant and first vowel. Put them into your pinterest, google images, etc, and let it autofill your search.
Pick a number between 1-20. The image corresponds to that number in your search is your inspiration image.
Go here: Coolors
Generate a palette.
Finally, pick another letter. Use it to choose an animal from this list to work off of:
a-z-animals.com: A to Z Index of Animals
I find it to be incredibly helpful in breaking a block, especially if I tell myself that the result doesn't have to be good!
Wow! That's really helpful, thank you!

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Do you have a species in mind?

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
You also have to decide whether you will make a fursuit or not out of the character. I mean a dalmation with a hundred spots sounds cool, but if you have to sew all those spots on, well... that would be rough.

HazelCat

I'm obnoxious
You also have to decide whether you will make a fursuit or not out of the character. I mean a dalmation with a hundred spots sounds cool, but if you have to sew all those spots on, well... that would be rough.

Species wise? Felines are usually my go-to, and yeah, super complicated designs are not my jam when drawing anyways

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I've always been partial to my species... the Sabertooth. Since no one knows what they actually looked like, you can make them anything you want. I also like clouded leopards, but they are much harder to draw because of those shaded panels/spots.

HazelCat

I'm obnoxious
I've always been partial to my species... the Sabertooth. Since no one knows what they actually looked like, you can make them anything you want. I also like clouded leopards, but they are much harder to draw because of those shaded panels/spots.
Oh wow! You're right, clouded leopards are beautiful! I just searched them up. Maybe one day I'll try drawing one

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I try fitting the species with something of the person. It might be personality, or even something physical like body build or hair style. I'm kind of "long in the tooth" age wise, but I'm also really, really strong, so I picked a Sabertooth.

HazelCat

I'm obnoxious
I try fitting the species with something of the person. It might be personality, or even something physical like body build or hair style. I'm kind of "long in the tooth" age wise, but I'm also really, really strong, so I picked a Sabertooth.
Yeah, I've never really payed attention to that advice before and just went with a cat/red panda because they looked cute and cats are my favorite animals. Honestly though, I don't really know myself that well, and it's kind of hard to look at myself and really reflect. But I'll try doing that to remake my fursona //unsatisfied with her

P

puddinsticks

To throw another idea in here;
As far as visual designs, sometimes less is more. :)
Not every character needs to be a dazzling display of intricate patterns and colors.
A varied combination of simplicity and attention to detail can go a long way.

I don't want to stifle creativity or expression, but sometimes people go a bit hard on the visuals and things can get confusing, or even lost.
Try to find a good place to draw your line at, so to speak. :)