• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Character development?

LeeuRex

What are some good ways to develop characters? A lot of time what i find useful is a list of questions regarding ways the char will react or interact in certain situations...is there a standard list like this? or some better methods?

Shouden

When in doubt: C4
I like writing smaller stories about them. Tell about something that happened in their life. Maybe pick a quirk and tell a funny story about that. But the important thing is to let your characters be themselves.

I'm currently basing characters off of people I know or have met in real life. They're very loosely based of course, but this helps me make characters that aren't simply another facet of my personality or that feel flat and generic.

I don't know if my advice is all that great, but it seems to have helped me in the little amount of writing that I have done.

Shouden

When in doubt: C4
That's what Matt Groening did for the Simpson's and it's been around for 24 years. (April 19th, 2012 will mark their 25th anniversary.) soo.. it works. :p

LeeuRex

Thanks all, I'll try some of that stuff out c:

Radiohead

Apply directly to forehead.
For the most part, I let my characters act naturally. I don't force them in situations for the soul purpose of changing the way they act. Sometimes it's hard to just let them interact in their own ways and change on their own, but it's rewarding to be able to do that and do it without making the situations or changes feel forced.

Last edited: