• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Character Ref Sheet (Need Help, PLZ!)

HopeTLioness

Rawr, rawr, grrr!
Hello, my talented artists out there. I need your help.

I am trying to learn how to create my own blank reference sheet for my OCs/FCs. I tried looking up any kind of tutorials on FurAffinity, DeviantART, and even YouTube. But alas, I have found nothing. If you do not know what I'm talking about, here are some examples that other artists have done.

bamboogecko.deviantart.com: Blank character sheet

empressofice12.deviantart.com: Skyrim Character Sheet - BLANK

aplg-planetariums.org: Character Template

Any helpful feedback and tips are welcome.

MissNook

Hello,

Well first thing first, I would say to decide what you wanna have in your sheet. Like name, skills, race, gender, inventory and so on. Here's one template that can help to have ideas: Character Template Sheet | Rin Chupeco
When you'll have the full list, you should think of what you want to be shown visually. For example: do we see the body of the character? Do we have a visual of the armor?
You can also use diagrams to see more clearly things. Like if you have skills with not a lot of levels (like sword, bow, spear, shield with 10 level of mastering each, you can use a diagram like this
radar_chart.png
).

If you want to have a more adaptive sheet, you may want to only put lines you can fill as you like or big blank spaces. For example, a sheet I've done for my RP: nooknook.deviantart.com: Recto de la fiche perso

Then for the render, I suggest you use either a paper and a pen then photocopy it or use a software meant for page layout/drawing.

Hope that helps a little. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer ^^

Fiorabeast

Always ill as hell
Since there A LOT of different types of character sheets, it depends on what you are going to use them for and what purpose (Role-playing? Writing up for comics? Just an overall profile for your OCs for people to get to know them? etc..) and how YOU want to set them up so that they are easy to read for you and other people.

Maybe look at people's character reference templates, pick one or a couple to use in making your characters and get a feel for them. Basically, find out what works for you, and what doesn't. If they are easy to read, or too hard to read, etc... and design around them. Also, if they require 1 or more pages for the character and their profile.
You could also set them up like how a lot of animators and comic artists do when they design a characters by looking up production notes of character sheets and study that too.

HopeTLioness

Rawr, rawr, grrr!
Hello,

Well first thing first, I would say to decide what you wanna have in your sheet. Like name, skills, race, gender, inventory and so on. Here's one template that can help to have ideas: Character Template Sheet | Rin Chupeco
When you'll have the full list, you should think of what you want to be shown visually. For example: do we see the body of the character? Do we have a visual of the armor?
You can also use diagrams to see more clearly things. Like if you have skills with not a lot of levels (like sword, bow, spear, shield with 10 level of mastering each, you can use a diagram like this
radar_chart.png
).

If you want to have a more adaptive sheet, you may want to only put lines you can fill as you like or big blank spaces. For example, a sheet I've done for my RP: nooknook.deviantart.com: Recto de la fiche perso

Then for the render, I suggest you use either a paper and a pen then photocopy it or use a software meant for page layout/drawing.

Hope that helps a little. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll do my best to answer ^^

Ah, okay. I will check these out. Thank you so much! ^^

Since there A LOT of different types of character sheets, it depends on what you are going to use them for and what purpose (Role-playing? Writing up for comics? Just an overall profile for your OCs for people to get to know them? etc..) and how YOU want to set them up so that they are easy to read for you and other people.

Maybe look at people's character reference templates, pick one or a couple to use in making your characters and get a feel for them. Basically, find out what works for you, and what doesn't. If they are easy to read, or too hard to read, etc... and design around them. Also, if they require 1 or more pages for the character and their profile.
You could also set them up like how a lot of animators and comic artists do when they design a characters by looking up production notes of character sheets and study that too.

That's a great idea. I'll look them up. Thank you so much! ^^