• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Chardon High School shooting (from a guy that lives in Chardon)

Tango

*drinking your brain juices*
Re: Chardon High School shooting (from a guy that lines in Chardon)

Not to blame the media and video games entirely, but one reason school shootings are more prevalent than they need to be, (in other words, not happening at all), is maybe how guns are depicted in popular entertainment as a peacemaker and a fast solution for many problems you have with people. I think kids should have a mandatory class which compares pictures of video game/movie violence to real violence, the families of the real violence victims, and do everything they can to reverse the desensitization of this generation and future generations of children, especially involving guns.

And that would work until someone's special little snowflake told their mommy and daddy about the 'OMG! I R trauma-ed' or something like that over such a thing and they sued the hell out of the school. I like where you are going with this, though. I think it'd work pretty good. I also believe that not sensationalizing these events in the media would go a LONG way to helping curb this problem.

Term_the_Schmuck

Most Interesting Man on FAF

Just for everyone who mentioned this as a situation caused by bullying, I haven't seen any news confirm that.

What I have seen though is that the kid in question who turned himself in comes from a broken home and up until now had been living with his grandparents.

Witnesses are saying that he had targets and wasn't shooting randomly, but a connection between them and the shooter hasn't been made clear.

Smelge

Hey, Assbutt

No, the problem is that it's too fucking easy to get a gun in America. It's the "I have to have a gun to protect myself" mentality. Maybe the kids don't pack heat, but there's a decent chance someone in the family does. Kids sneak stuff out of the parents liquor cabinet easily enough, why not the Gun Drawer.

Alstor

And twice as shiny

EDIT: I'll stop the rumor mill before it gets worse.

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account

Glad your family's okay.

Yes, I can blame him. I can blame the hell out of him. The gun didn't bring itself to that school and start firing bullets at students. He did. Not only that, but from what I saw in an above post he ended someone's life! That is something you can't undo. And before anyone starts in with 'oh, he just snapped' he posted that he was going to do this on twitter. This was premeditated. He planned this. He could have sought counselling. He could have tried to seek solace in music, a fandom of some sort. Anything but this.

I'm having a very hard time seeing this guy as nothing more then a self destructive little cock-goblin that wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and take as many innocent people as he could with him.

He planned to go and kill as many as he can and then himself? And then shoots 5 people, killing one of those? And even turns himself in afterwards?
He must suck at planning, if that was all he could do.

And if it's okay form him to be physically harmed as punishment, then what is wrong with him harming his bullys?

That guy snapped in an unacceptable way, he belongs into an prison/asylum, which of those is to be decided by a judge.
(and to make it clear: i do not like what the shooter did in any way (although he is still a person and still has a right to not be harmed when he is safely contained, the ONLY acceptable moment for him to be harmed would be, if he is a direct threat to others, and can be stopped from doing any harm by being harmed (if necessary, killed), not afterwards when he is contained!))

But enough half-railing, back ontopic:
I hope the 4 victims that still have a chance survive it. And poor parents/friends of the victims...

Iudicium_86

Just another artist

No, the problem is that it's too fucking easy to get a gun in America. It's the "I have to have a gun to protect myself" mentality. Maybe the kids don't pack heat, but there's a decent chance someone in the family does. Kids sneak stuff out of the parents liquor cabinet easily enough, why not the Gun Drawer.

Who keeps a gun drawer like a liqueur cabinet?! That's just irresponsibility on the parent's side as well. True gun owners know to keep them as locked up as possible. In a full safe if possible. Preferably one which has other features besides a key (which can be taken) like keypads, combination locks, or even biometric measures.

Jashwa

Who keeps a gun drawer like a liqueur cabinet?! That's just irresponsibility on the parent's side as well. True gun owners know to keep them as locked up as possible.
Why is a locked drawer less secure than a locked cabinet?

Also, if the person has the gun for protection, then it's not very good if it's hidden behind a combination lock in a safe somewhere when they need it quickly.

Criminal Scum

Can't stop.

the alleged shooter put on Twitter that he was going to do it. :|

And nobody fucking did anything??

Iudicium_86

Just another artist

Why is a locked drawer less secure than a locked cabinet?

Also, if the person has the gun for protection, then it's not very good if it's hidden behind a combination lock in a safe somewhere when they need it quickly.

For those with multiple guns since firearms have more uses than self-defense, the house protection gun can be kept separate in a smaller gunbox under the bed or wherever with a keypad or biometric reader for that quick access with the sure security.

Criminal Scum

Can't stop.

Explanation through example: all the threats, wishing of harm or death, etc, posted on FAF/FA week after week that fail to amount to anything ever.
There are contextual differences between, "I'm going to kill u trolls ur so meen," on an internet forum, and "I'm going to kill as many people that go to <school> as I can," on twitter or facebook. (Disclaimer: I don't actually know what the shooter posted on twitter.)

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.

He planned to go and kill as many as he can and then himself? And then shoots 5 people, killing one of those? And even turns himself in afterwards?
He must suck at planning, if that was all he could do.

And if it's okay form him to be physically harmed as punishment, then what is wrong with him harming his bullys?

That guy snapped in an unacceptable way, he belongs into an prison/asylum, which of those is to be decided by a judge.
(and to make it clear: i do not like what the shooter did in any way (although he is still a person and still has a right to not be harmed when he is safely contained, the ONLY acceptable moment for him to be harmed would be, if he is a direct threat to others, and can be stopped from doing any harm by being harmed (if necessary, killed), not afterwards when he is contained!))

But enough half-railing, back ontopic:
I hope the 4 victims that still have a chance survive it. And poor parents/friends of the victims...
So from your point of view, you have the right to kill anyone who harmed you in any way.
That's fucked up.
I agree with what Tango's said in the above posts, people like this are just bastards who decide to take a human life because of 'bullying', they think the only way to get away from their problems is either kill those making them, or suicide.

Term_the_Schmuck

I agree with what Tango's said in the above posts, people like this are just bastards who decide to take a human life because of 'bullying', they think the only way to get away from their problems is either kill those making them, or suicide.

And I must stress again we don't know if the root cause of this is bullying just yet.

Right now all we know is that his family life is in the shitter.

So from your point of view, you have the right to kill anyone who harmed you in any way.
That's fucked up.
No, i dont think so, imho the whole "prison rape him!" thing is as justified as him killing people, and i agree, that him killing people is bad (see the prison part), so both things are wrong, him killing people and "prison rape him!" (or any other torture idea people may have).

Term_the_Schmuck

Reports from NY Daily News give some quotes from students.

Apparently the shooter wasn't attending Chardon, but another school for at-risk kids. He was considered a loner, with conflicting reports about the extent of bullying. Some say he was, others say he wasn't particularly targeted by anyone. In either case, he wasn't exactly the subject of regular bullying.

He does however come from a broken home. His parents are divorced since he was an infant, with his father being particularly of interest being in trouble with the law for things like kidnapping, assault, attempted murder, and other fun activities which bodes well for a child's development.

Most reports say the kid was deeply troubled, but kept most of his issues locked up inside him instead of letting them out in healthy ways. He was a pleasant kid to the rest of the community, but he had demons which weren't addressed since he didn't come from a stable family and who knows what was going on in his other school.

So I don't think anyone can seriously look at this and just blame bullying for the reason. There's much deeper underlying issues this kid was dealing with before he decided to take that gun to school.

Alstor

And twice as shiny

I do believe that he's going to plea innocent on account of insanity, which I find wrong. I went to school with everyone affected minus Jo, and I know that T.J. was a normal kid. Quiet, but normal. He just dealt with his inner demons in the worst possible way, and he needs to be punished for it.

This town's still a ghost town right now. The only activity comes from the vigils. It's still shocking everyone. Hell, it's only sinking in now that my first friend from second grade when I transferred elementary schools, Russel King, just died.

As I speak, T.J. is making his first court appearance five blocks or so from my house.

Wreth

GERTY

With all due respect, Xenke, fuck that guy. He tried to take at least 4 lives because he was getting picked on. Hell, I was picked on like crazy but I didn't take a gun to school or anything stupid like that. I told them if they had a problem to meet me in the woods after school and we'd settle it with fists. And you know what? That usually solved it. In two cases we became friends afterwards.

But this shit? Again, screw this guy. I hope he gets passed around in jail like a bong at Woodstock.

Sorry but the idea that bad people deserve bad things to happen to them, beyond what are measures taken to prevent reoffending (Deterrent/keeping them away from the rest of society) is just childish. It's an emotional and illogical response, as well as hypocritical. We aren't primitive animals, we are humans, and that gives us the responsibility in the modern world to ensure we use our humanity the best we can. What good does it do to have someone who has wronged someone suffer unecessarily themselves? Grow up and get past your antiquated ideology.

If you're better than them, prove it by showing how a human should behave, not by hoping for more suffering.

Mutations2000

Socially Awkward Freak

My parents were freaking out for a while yesterday, because my mom was on the phone, watching the news with the sound off, and it said there was a school shooting at CHS in Ohio, and I just happen to attend Centerville High School, which is also in Ohio.

Term_the_Schmuck

I do believe that he's going to plea innocent on account of insanity, which I find wrong. I went to school with everyone affected minus Jo, and I know that T.J. was a normal kid. Quiet, but normal. He just dealt with his inner demons in the worst possible way, and he needs to be punished for it.

This town's still a ghost town right now. The only activity comes from the vigils. It's still shocking everyone. Hell, it's only sinking in now that my first friend from second grade when I transferred elementary schools, Russel King, just died.

As I speak, T.J. is making his first court appearance five blocks or so from my house.

"Not guilty by reason of insanity" rarely sticks. Mostly because you're saying "yeah he did it, but he didn't realize what he was doing." It's a bit difficult to rule insanity when three kids are dead, two are still in critical condition, and the fact that, if the Twitter post thing was accurate, this was premeditated. Insanity I would think would imply this being a bit more spontaneous than anything else. And as long as he's mentally fit to stand trial and acknowledge the charges brought against him, then he'll have to just go with a guilty or not guilty plea.

Wreth

GERTY

"Not guilty by reason of insanity" rarely sticks. Mostly because you're saying "yeah he did it, but he didn't realize what he was doing." It's a bit difficult to rule insanity when three kids are dead, two are still in critical condition, and the fact that, if the Twitter post thing was accurate, this was premeditated. Insanity I would think would imply this being a bit more spontaneous than anything else. And as long as he's mentally fit to stand trial and acknowledge the charges brought against him, then he'll have to just go with a guilty or not guilty plea.

How about that the guy who killed the 70 kids in Norway, who grew his own fertiliser to be used to make explosives, and that the was able to obtain the weapons, and gain the knowledge to be able to build the bomb. Wasn't he found to be insane?...

Term_the_Schmuck

How about that the guy who killed the 70 kids in Norway, who grew his own fertiliser to be used to make explosives, and that the was able to obtain the weapons, and gain the knowledge to be able to build the bomb. Wasn't he found to be insane?...

There's a bit of a difference between courts in Norway and courts in the US.

That should go without saying.

Though in either case the defense would have to prove that at the very least at the time of the events, the accused didn't know what he was doing was wrong or had a lapse in reality.

Problem is in the US, even if he's found not guilty by reason of insanity, he'll still end up incarcerated in a psychiatric hospital or other prison institution with a psychiatric wing.

It's not exactly like he'll be let loose on society if he's found to be insane. Back in the 80s this was commonplace for misdemeanor offenses or even base levels of assault. But attempted murder will make you end up behind bars in some fashion, like John Hinckley who tried to assassinate Reagan. He's due to be released from prison pretty soon.

Last edited:

Bliss

He has paranoid schizophrenia.