• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Cheers!

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Hello all! I'm Troj.

I'm relatively new to the fandom, myself, but really enjoyed the people I met and the adventures I had at FurCon recently, so I've decided to take the plunge!

I'm a native Coloradoan, but I presently live, study, work, and play in the Bay Area. I'm a grad student in Psychology, and currently counsel children at a school (soon to be a pair of schools) in the South Bay.

It's probably safe to say I'm a geek and a nerd. I enjoy writing, and I've recently coaxed myself into doing more drawing and painting. I enjoy animation, films, cooking (and eating!), science fiction, and learning all I can about Social Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Neuroscience, Comparative Religion, Mythology, Biology, Technology, and other subjects.

Glad to be here! Any additional questions for me?

Kitsu

Sounds like a great life. =) I'm Kitsu. I make cookies for a living. I live in Kansas. =/ Seems to be a very limited collection of furries to talk to, so I enjoy coming on to these forums to meet new ppl. =)

Troj

Ha!

It's better than it has been, but I still have the dissertation and the internship to worry about!

Damn, I want to make cookies for a living!

confuseacat

Welcome to the forums Troj! Good luck on your dissertation and internship.

I'd just like to eat cookies for a living. Cookie taste evaluator, yeah that's my dream job.

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
Hmm... Making cookies for a living. /strokes beard curiously
Wait a second... Wasn't this thread supposed to be about Troj?

You seem pretty nice, Troj. I've seen you posting around sometimes and thought your posts were always pretty interesting. I was wondering if you'd have a thread like this. xP

Do you have a Fur Affinity page? You should try uploading some of your stuff so people can see. Pretty much everyone here enjoys poking around at what people create.

Question: What kind of things do you like to write/draw about ?

Also; you seem like you'd already know this but :V face means somebody is joking or not being serious.

Troj

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

Confuseacat--Thanks, I'll need it!

Cookies are delicious, but I actually crave salty foods, more than sweet ones. A cookie is nice, but a pickled jalapeno, habanero-stuffed olive, or pickled chile guero is better!

Hewge--Thanks for your kind words! I'm glad you've found my posts enjoyable thus far.

I actually used :V yesterday in a post. I was so excited. ;)

I registered on FA mostly so I could comment on a neat photo Inashine117 took of me in fursuit.

I'm often shy about sharing my projects with others, but we'll see :).

As for what I like to write about: Well, besides my dissertation (blargh) and papers for school, I'm working (slowly) on a trilogy of novels.

The first could probably be best described as a coming-of-age story, with a "whodunnit" murder mystery. Essentially, an alienated young man befriends an eccentric old couple, and when they are (falsely) accused of perpetrating a series of horrible crimes, he is the one who must work to exonerate them.

The second book follows a minor character who disappeared in the first, and tells of his strange transformation, and subsequent journey into a strange, fantastical parallel world. It is so damn furry, your eyes will explode. ;)

The third book reunites all of the central characters from the first two books, as they work together to prevent a madman and his cadre of followers from bringing about, basically, the apocalypse.

Since I work with kids, when they want to draw or paint, I'll typically draw or paint with them. I've made a couple of decent watercolor landscapes and beachscapes. Recently, on a whim, I sketched my fursona (to the left, to the left), and I think he turned out pretty good! I have a yen to sketch another character, as well, who is essentially my fursona's "shadow self."

What about you? What do you like to do?

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
Hmm, those books actually sound like they'd be interesting to read. Reading or writing isn't exactly a hobby of mine, though. xP

Your aardvark looks nice, I like the attention you gave to the glasses and ears. Did you use water colors on it? Because that's what it looks like.

What about you? What do you like to do?

What do I like to do? Well, this thread is supposed to be about getting to know you.

But I can never pass up talking about myself ! >.>

To make it short, I like to draw. A lot. Mostly cartoony type stuff, because I just love them, but I do try to branch out and take a more artistic approach on things. My FA and Deviant Art pages don't actually have anything on them right now, except for maybe a page of doodles or two, because I don't have a scanner at the moment and my Wacom tablet was eating by my beast of a cat. I do plan to upload lots of stuff in the near future, though.

Other than that I love to play video games. I'm talking hardcore lover not some kind of casual. But about 1 or 2 months ago I gave up video games so I can spend most of my time arting and studying.

Last edited:

Troj

I sketched him with just a simple pencil, scanned him into the computer, and did touch-ups and colour adjustment with Pixlr. So, technically, no watercolours here :).

The glasses were a pain, because I wasn't sure how to accomplish the texture of glass. So, I'm glad you like the effect.

Your tablet got eaten by your cat???

What video games do you like?

powderhound

Your stuffs insightful and hilarious. Glad you had a good time at FC, I enjoyed chatting with you. Best of luck on your journey through the 'minefield o crazy.'

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
Your tablet got eaten by your cat???

It's a whimsical tale involving a soft little cat, going on a discovery to find what she can chew to pieces, while meeting new cats and making new cat friends along the way... in the end she discovers all she ever needed was friendship. And hourly long fur petting sessions.

What video games do you like?

My favorite games are Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, and DotA 2. My favorite genres are probably RTS and MMORPG. I normally hate FPS games but I love Halo because the story is great.

But the main thing that gets me to love a game is if it has great lore or story.

Troj

Your stuffs insightful and hilarious. Glad you had a good time at FC, I enjoyed chatting with you. Best of luck on your journey through the 'minefield o crazy.'

Oh, yay, who were you? I'm unfortunately bad with names, and even worse with faces.

Thank y'kindly :).

Hewge said:
My favorite games are Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, and DotA 2. My favorite genres are probably RTS and MMORPG. I normally hate FPS games but I love Halo because the story is great.

NEEEEEEERD NEEEERD NEEERDLY NERD! :grin:

I played City of Villains back in college, but I stay away from WoW, because it sounds like the video game equivalent of heroin, and I'm addicted to the computer as it is...

I need to go back to Halo. When I got thrown into it once, at that point, the most recent first-person shooters I'd played were Postal 2, Doom, Bioshock, and Quake, so the particular mechanics of Halo threw me off. I ended up running circles around the battlefield with my head pointed towards the sky, and my gun pointed who-knows-where.

I really like Okami. Been working on that for a few years, off and on, when I have time.

Do people who get into Warhammer 40k typically come from having played the tabletop game?

In general, I think I unfortunately tend to be out-of-step on the gaming front. I tend to wax poetic about a lot of stuff that came out in the 90s.:(

What did you like about Halo's story?

Did you ever play Black and White, perchance?

It's a whimsical tale involving a soft little cat, going on a discovery to find what she can chew to pieces, while meeting new cats and making new cat friends along the way... in the end she discovers all she ever needed was friendship. And hourly long fur petting sessions.

Friendship is magic.

Last edited:

Hewge

Banana Party
Banned
NEEEEEEERD NEEEERD NEEERDLY NERD! :grin:

>.>

Well I guess I can be pretty geeky. Certainly don't look like the stereotype geek though! I'm that one guy that knows he's good looking and isn't afraid to boast about good looks... and enjoys looking at his reflection every 10 minutes. :V

I played City of Villains back in college, but I stay away from WoW, because it sounds like the video game equivalent of heroin, and I'm addicted to the computer as it is...

Do people who get into Warhammer 40k typically come from having played the tabletop game?

WoW was pretty addicting a few years ago... back when it was actually good. The game has taken a lot of wrong turns, though. These days it's just full of a dead community of players. Not dead as in nobody is around, just dead as in nobody talks to each other. You can literally play the game for several hours and not a single soul will even say "Hello". And it's just been sort of recycling same-old same-old things for about 4-5 years now. It's become very, very stale. As if it's just dying a very, very slow and painful death.

Most of the people I met on Dawn of War either played the tabletop game, or at least knew about it. I don't actually play the tabletop game, I'm not geeky enough for that... :V
I did have a boyfriend once that liked the tabletop game. I enjoyed painting the figurines for him, since he wasn't exactly 'artistic'. xP

What did you like about Halo's story?

It's just an all-around good story. The characters have great personalities, the story line is well told, the game universe itself has loads of really cool lore, and even the enemies you fight have their own great traits and emotions. Personally I would probably play an Elite or the Arbiter over master chief... not that MC isn't a bad ass.

Did you ever play Black and White, perchance?

I did play BW2 a little. I was a busy kid when it first came out, so I never really got to play it much. I do remember I would just get a wolf avatar or whatever, and make him work out 24/7 while I built a huge city.
I lost my copy of it though years and years ago, and it doesn't seem like you can buy it these days in most stores, and it's not available for download anywhere.

Friendship is magic

That it is, my friend... that it is.

Uuhh. I feel like I'm taking up too much of your thread. Sorry.

Last edited:

Troj

>.>

Well I guess I can be pretty geeky. Certainly don't look like the stereotype geek though! I'm that one guy that knows he's good looking and isn't afraid to boast about good looks... and enjoys looking at his reflection every 10 minutes. :V

I don't know if it was just Fur Con, or what, but I was genuinely surprised by the number of non-stereotypical-looking-geeks I saw. I saw geeks, sure, but I also saw (and would classify in my own mind as) ravers, punks, and "normal people."

I think I see geekier-looking geeks in greater numbers at the Maker Faire every year!

Not dead as in nobody is around, just dead as in nobody talks to each other. You can literally play the game for several hours and not a single soul will even say "Hello".

Wow, interesting!

It never even occurred to me that people even said "Hello" in multi-player environments. I'm used to people only interacting with you only if they're putting together a team, or want to murder you. :eek:

So, people used to say 'Hello?'

And now it's like a large, unfriendly city?

What do you think changed?

What would happen if one were to approach another player and say, 'Hello?'

I did have a boyfriend once that liked the tabletop game. I enjoyed painting the figurines for him, since he wasn't exactly 'artistic'. xP

Aww, that's sweet.

My fine motor skills are terrible. You wouldn't want me painting anything smaller than the side of a barn. :V

So, you sound like you're artistic, then?

Personally I would probably play an Elite or the Arbiter over master chief... not that MC isn't a bad ass.

That's not an option, is it? It'd be neat if it were.

Have you played Skyrim yet? It looks very pretty.

I did play BW2 a little. I was a busy kid when it first came out, so I never really got to play it much. I do remember I would just get a wolf avatar or whatever, and make him work out 24/7 while I built a huge city.

Ah! I think I played the expansion pack, but not BW2.

I think I was cursed, because my game crashed, failed, or otherwise went off the deep end something like three times, requiring me to start over from scratch each time.

I remember being extremely impressed by the A.I. of the titans (pets), and I would tend to choose the ape, and then the wolf.

BW sparked a major philosophical revelation for me, actually. The game encourages you to discipline (hit) your creature when he's naughty. After being hit, your creature will typically avoid EVERYTHING associated with the situation that got him into trouble, and his understanding of things will typically grow more refined as you punish and reward him for various things.

So, the hit is, obviously, an aversive stimulus that causes the creature to not do a particular behavior, because his programming tells him being hit is unpleasant and undesirable, and being stroked is positive.

As a kid, I found myself thinking, "Yeah, well, isn't this how most organisms work on the most basic level?"

The next thought was roughly, "How do I know that Belial (my wolf) doesn't feel?"

Obviously, he couldn't talk, but when I hit him, he looked upset, and he'd carefully avoid the object or behavior that had gotten him into trouble.

Having stepped into a moral grey area, and having realized that there was a remote chance that I was torturing something that could, in some way, suffer, I made a vow never, ever, ever, to hit Belial again. Instead, I used positive reinforcement to encourage him towards desirable behaviors.

It's what you're supposed to do with animals and children anyway, so it was good training for life. ;)

(The positive-reinforcement thing was hit-or-miss, because he tended to be a bit on the slow side, and in one iteration of the game, ate and/or sacrificed everybody on the whole island while I wasn't looking, except for two women. I spent at least half an hour, trying to breed those women, and wondering why it wasn't taking. Oops.)

I lost my copy of it though years and years ago, and it doesn't seem like you can buy it these days in most stores, and it's not available for download anywhere.

Bummer :(. That's my situation with regards to Carmageddon 2.

Kitsu

>.>

WoW was pretty addicting a few years ago... back when it was actually good. The game has taken a lot of wrong turns, though. These days it's just full of a dead community of players. Not dead as in nobody is around, just dead as in nobody talks to each other. You can literally play the game for several hours and not a single soul will even say "Hello". And it's just been sort of recycling same-old same-old things for about 4-5 years now. It's become very, very stale. As if it's just dying a very, very slow and painful death.

Most of the people I met on Dawn of War either played the tabletop game, or at least knew about it. I don't actually play the tabletop game, I'm not geeky enough for that... :V
I did have a boyfriend once that liked the tabletop game. I enjoyed painting the figurines for him, since he wasn't exactly 'artistic'. xp

I play W.O.W....well actually should say use too. I hated the way the story was going and how the people became less involved. I use to love it playing with my husband. He still plays but I find myself not wanting to except to lvl and find new pets. Lol. But what can you do, its now all about making money and its why several people no longer play it. It just doesn't do much for me anymore.

I like how the first half of this thread ppl were talking about cookies. Lol If they ever wanted one, could always hit me up for some. I make them 7 days a week, over 35 different kinds and varieties and even cookie cakes for those special someones...Lol MMm Cookies. We even have that salty taste for even you Troj. We have an ice cream thats Sea Salt Caramel ice cream that everyone seems to love! <3 Teehee its always about work for me since its primarly my life. I work so much its hard to stop working and just enjoy life.

=) Its great meeting new people and I love your drawing of your character! The glasses are awesome! <3 You've got a great talent too. =) I hope to one day be able to figure out how to share my artwork.

Troj

I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate. If you've got a cookie in that variety, I'm sold ;).

Mrs. Fields makes a mean peanut butter dream bar.

Kitsu

We make a Peanutbutter and Chocolatechip Cookie and we also make a Peanutbutter cup thats a Peanutbutter cookie cooked in a cupform and filled with chocolate. Then also we have a Peanutbutter bar, which is a thick peanutbutter cookie covered in fudge cut into square shape. =) So does that cover enough peanutbutter items? LOL.

Then for valentines day week we hand dipped Peanut butter cookies in milkchocolate! Soooo we have tons of Peanutbutter items!

We have a mrs fields in our mall too but we do more sales then them even tho they are inthe food court. We have a HUGE variety! Can't go wrong with Cookies, Brownies, Bars, and like 24 types of Ice cream!