• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Children's Cartoon's Are Weird...

Raspberry

Potatoes.
There have always been oddball cartoons. The 80s through early 2000s were full of them, especially Nickelodeon.

TrishaCat

The Iron Masked Cat in the FAF
Yo Gabba Gabba is weird.
Surprisingly, I think I read on Wikipedia that it has adult fans.
It DOES have some retro sounding music in it...

But yeah, I've seen that show. Weird as heck. Not bad for a little kid's cartoon though.

As a child I watched Courage the Cowardly Dog and it was pretty weird. Not Yo Gabba Gabba weird, but still.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I'm not knocking modern animation at all, but I grew up in a really good period for animation (90s, early 00s). Animaniacs, Batman Animated Series, Gargoyles, the Cartoon Cartoons, Spongebob.

My theory has been that Adventure Time, Flapjack, and Spongebob created a misconception that being crazy and psychedelic for the sake of being crazy and psychedelic is cool. But where as those shows were great and put the madness to creative ends there are scores of shows using bright colors and freaky imagery just to be edgy. Immediately after Adventure Time's popularity skyrocketed I noticed more risky character designs appearing. Bizarre new plots. Just look at CN's ads these days. They try (painfully) hard to be relevant and edgy.

Namba

I'm not knocking modern animation at all, but I grew up in a really good period for animation (90s, early 00s). Animaniacs, Batman Animated Series, Gargoyles, the Cartoon Cartoons, Spongebob.

My theory has been that Adventure Time, Flapjack, and Spongebob created a misconception that being crazy and psychedelic for the sake of being crazy and psychedelic is cool. But where as those shows were great and put the madness to creative ends there are scores of shows using bright colors and freaky imagery just to be edgy. Immediately after Adventure Time's popularity skyrocketed I noticed more risky character designs appearing. Bizarre new plots. Just look at CN's ads these days. They try (painfully) hard to be relevant and edgy.
Uncle Grandpa kinda crosses the line.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
I feel kind of old saying this but I remember in the 90s when I was a kid and how the cartoons made sense. Shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Doug, Batman the Animated Series, Animaniacs, Hey Arnold, Dexter's Laboratory, etc. Now it seems that shows are just... strange like Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Chowder. I think it's right to say that cartoons are less about making sense and more like "let's create enough shock value stuff that flies just below the radar of being put into question." But I guess I like things that have a decernable plot rather than random stuff happening.

I feel kind of old saying this but I remember in the 90s when I was a kid and how the cartoons made sense. Shows like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Doug, Batman the Animated Series, Animaniacs, Hey Arnold, Dexter's Laboratory, etc. Now it seems that shows are just... strange like Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa, Chowder. I think it's right to say that cartoons are less about making sense and more like "let's create enough shock value stuff that flies just below the radar of being put into question." But I guess I like things that have a decernable plot rather than random stuff happening.

What's wrong with Chowder?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

Oh how the "Get off my lawn" mentality rules here.

Each generation complaining theirs was better and more understandable, when there was quite a bit of shit cartoons. Yes there were good series in each generation but that doesn't make it the majority of garbage put out that most people forget and had the same problems people are complaining about now.

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
I just didn't get it, characters made of food and such, so maybe it's just me.

You're right, there were a number of shows that were bad back in the 90s and there are some good ones now. It seems that the majority of the cartoons I see are meh to me.

Last edited: