• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Chopsticks! How well can you use them?

Chopsticks. How well can you use them?

• Total voters

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
For the longest time (years), I found them impossible: Then, late one night, coming back from NYC and starving, we went to this Korean place, that only had chopsticks, and it just fell into place like magic. Now I can eat almost everything with them, even Jello.

Sometimes I use them instead of 'normal' silverware---easier to clean.

So...how good are you at eating with chopsticks?

Yakamaru

Bad Jokes Inc.
Chopsticks? They're useless forks, basically.

Old Fashioned

Sometimes Active Member
It just fell into place like magic.
The night before I left for Japan we ate at a Japanese restaurant and I had tried for months to figure chopsticks out, but at that restaurant something just clicked and I was so happy.:)

Yakamaru

Bad Jokes Inc.
Shhhhhhhhhhh! There's anime nuts about! You'll frighten them. :v
You're talking to the (most likely)biggest weeaboo Anime Furry trash on FAF. :3

If I get scared or frightened about ANYTHING, wo- AAAAAAAAAAA, OH GOD! A FISH JUST TOUCHED MY LEG!!!
*Is in a very large pool with fish in it*

Trashsona

Does stabbing food with them count? If so then I'm a pro. I think the last time I tried to use them I gave up after ten minutes and just used my hands. Stupid, fancy sticks.

P

PixelVixen

Does stabbing food with them count? If so then I'm a pro. I think the last time I tried to use them I gave up after ten minutes and just used my hands. Stupid, fancy sticks.
Like the woman in that Wowcher advert XD

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
I learned from a young age and I like using them because I feel like a fancy fuck, it's nice and it comes natural almost. I feel like a fancy fuck when I go to asian dining places.

quoting_mungo

I'm pretty confident I'm "doing it wrong", in the sense that I don't hold my chopsticks the way I'm "supposed" to. I eat slower with chopsticks than with traditional silverware, but I'll still finish my food faster than my father does with a knife and fork. Boyfriend recently bought me some metal chopsticks and I'm super stoked to finally have chopsticks I can chuck in the dishwasher.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Been hashing* it out with sticks since i was a wee Jappy-born babby-tot.
*that was a pun i just made! i am proud of it.

A

Alstren

Ah but my face is a pair of chopsticks! Jokes aside I cant use them to save my life. If given some, I tend to try and find a fork or use them as a fork if I'am desperate.

PlusThirtyOne

i can't stand to use anything but wood chopsticks. Growing up we always had fiberglass or metal or plastic and i hated how noodles and other things would slide right off. The "trick" to using them is to loosen your grip and squeeze with very little force. Kinda hard to figure that out as a noobie if you can't seen to lift a single grain of rice with slippery sticks.

Also, the diagram of "How to use chopsticks" on those red bastards seen in EVERY RESTAURANT EVER is a poor example. Only the top stick is supposed to move. Everyone tries to use sticks like scissors and that's not the point.

Speaking of points, stabbing food with chopsticks is EXTREMELY rude. Like pushing stuff into your spoon with a finger. Tsk tsk tsk...

quoting_mungo

i can't stand to use anything but wood chopsticks. Growing up we always had fiberglass or metal or plastic and i hated how noodles and other things would slide right off. The "trick" to using them is to loosen your grip and squeeze with very little force. Kinda hard to figure that out as a noobie if you can't seen to lift a single grain of rice with slippery sticks.
I keep worrying about being able to clean my bamboo chopsticks sufficiently. Last thing I want is bacteria breeding inside the wood.

Like pushing stuff into your spoon with a finger. Tsk tsk tsk...
Next you'll be telling me I'm not supposed to lick my plate. Pfft. ;)

R

Rykhoteth

When you spend over ~22$ on a plate and are only provided chopsticks, you learn pretty quickly.

PlusThirtyOne

I keep worrying about being able to clean my bamboo chopsticks sufficiently. Last thing I want is bacteria breeding inside the wood.

Next you'll be telling me I'm not supposed to lick my plate. Pfft. ;)
Maibashi, reusable sticks, that are made of wood are typically not porous and/or have some sort of food-safe finish on them. So long as they aren't submerged you'll be fine. Mild soap should suffice to clean the surface but if you've got porous sticks, they're either novelty/decorative or disposable.

Also, at the risk of sounding pretentious, misuse of ohashi in the West is painfully common and it makes Asian natives cringe. They ARE watching. You ARE doing everything wrong and you ARE being judged. LOL Even me as i'm white as bleached rice.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
I'm probably more dextrous with chopsticks than with my bare hands...

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer

Oooof, though a master at most sticks, the metal ones are evil!

D

Deleted member 82554

Like Daniel from the Karate Kid, I can use chopsticks with deadly precision.

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
I don't get chopsticks. They're so awkward and impractical. Why do we even call them "chopsticks" if you can't "chop" anything with them? Yes, I know the etymology of the word. In that case, why not call just them "fast sticks" or "quick sticks" or "food sticks" or something along those lines?

Yes, I have used them before, and I can use them marginally well, if incorrectly (I think). But I'll almost never take a pair of chopsticks over the simple and sensible alternative of silverware, or even a plastic spork, if that alternative is there. You can't go wrong with silverware and there's almost nothing to learn. It's so intuitive that it's almost impossible to use it incorrectly. It's so much easier to simply cut, stab, and scoop your food as desired, rather than clamp and hold it awkwardly between a pair of sticks. Why didn't East Asian cultures think of that before the West did? They had gunpowder and the compass before we did, and they developed the fundamental doctrines of modern warfare thousands of years ago. And yet somehow the West has them beat on eating utensils?

This will forever leave me scratching my head...

Last edited: