• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

CHROMEHOUNDS

has any one played this game? and if so what do you think of it? does it stand up to the hype or crumble and fall in the shadow of the armored core series. or any other series for that matter i just pointed that out cuz both are made by from software.

Silver R. Wolfe

Wuffamute Extraordinaire!
From what I've heard... It doesn't live up to the hype at all.. Hell, OXM gave it only a 6.5.

Lots of little issues that add up to alot of problems in the end, is what I've heard.

Span_Wolf

silverwolfe said:
From what I've heard... It doesn't live up to the hype at all.. Hell, OXM gave it only a 6.5.

Lots of little issues that add up to alot of problems in the end, is what I've heard.
Actually ChromeHounds is a very niche game that is greater than the sum if its parts. You really have to like simulation style games to enjoy this one and the SP is merely training for the robust multiplayer campaign. Many reviewers have not kept this in mind and those that have, have given it an average 7.5ish rating.

Silver R. Wolfe

RE:   CHROMEHOUNDS

Span_Wolf said:
silverwolfe said:

Actually ChromeHounds is a very niche game that is greater than the sum if its parts.  You really have to like simulation style games to enjoy this one and the SP is merely training for the robust multiplayer campaign.  Many reviewers have not kept this in mind and those that have, have given it an average 7.5ish rating.

IMO, a single player mode should be an actual single player mode, nut just a bunch of tutorials or training. If it was so, then it should be advertised as a near strictly online game.

Not everyone plays online after all. Just because 60% of Xbox 360 users are registered with Live, doesn't mean they all have the gold.

Span_Wolf

silverwolfe said:
Span_Wolf said:
silverwolfe said:

Actually ChromeHounds is a very niche game that is greater than the sum if its parts. You really have to like simulation style games to enjoy this one and the SP is merely training for the robust multiplayer campaign. Many reviewers have not kept this in mind and those that have, have given it an average 7.5ish rating.

IMO, a single player mode should be an actual single player mode, nut just a bunch of tutorials or training. If it was so, then it should be advertised as a near strictly online game.

Not everyone plays online after all. Just because 60% of Xbox 360 users are registered with Live, doesn't mean they all have the gold.
I was never arguing that point just presenting it.

Silver R. Wolfe

RE:     CHROMEHOUNDS

Span_Wolf said:
silverwolfe said:
Span_Wolf said:
silverwolfe said:

Actually ChromeHounds is a very niche game that is greater than the sum if its parts.  You really have to like simulation style games to enjoy this one and the SP is merely training for the robust multiplayer campaign.  Many reviewers have not kept this in mind and those that have, have given it an average 7.5ish rating.

IMO, a single player mode should be an actual single player mode, nut just a bunch of tutorials or training.  If it was so, then it should be advertised as a near strictly online game.

Not everyone plays online after all.  Just because 60% of Xbox 360 users are registered with Live, doesn't mean they all have the gold.
I was never arguing that point just presenting it.

I know, I was just giving my opinion on the whole thing.

well thanx for the info. you see i already bought the game about a week ago on the same day i bought prey and super dragonball z. and i haven't actually got around to playing it that much yet. i kinda figured that the best part would be the online section of the game but EGADS!! my landlord raised the rent an extra $30 a month and now i can't afford X-BOX LIVE. *cry* as for the single player from what i have seen i think a 6.5 is about right. but then i've only done the first two missions so i can't say for sure. hence the fact i thought i'd ask. plus it makes for good conversation.

Stillman

The only people I've talked to about it have Live and play it online all the damn time, and they're raving about it like it's the second coming of Christ. Take that as you will.

Jivewriter

Okay I will give an Official Jivewriter Review (I've only been here one day but hell I can try XD) of Chromehounds:

When I saw the trailer, I was amused about the level of destruction that I could cause because who doesn't believe a trailer right? Well when I finally got my hands on controller and the game, my expectations took a nasty little stumble. While the game's tutorial missions take place to inform you on how to actually use the various weapons, I realized that was all their was too it. Destroy these badies, stop them from destroying this, take over this COMBAS. Repeat. That was it. Now for the levels. I understand they were really going for really shiny stuff but the levels look like a game from 2003 and it really is sad since the mechs look out of place in this world that looks like someone’s toy train set. Not that I would know that at first because the mechs move slower than a postal employee on a Saturday nightshift. I mean I actually said this out loud to my buddy, “Okay, who put sand in my hydraulics?” It took me, I'm not kidding, twenty minutes to walk from two points and not to mention the map has no waypoints to you objectives or radar dots to know where your supposed enemies were detected. The SP missions are basically trial and error, one being you have to catch up with a small vehicle you can barely see in a mech that couldn’t catch an ice cream truck unless it blew it sky high first. My mood wasn't helped by the fact the game doesn't give you decent weapons or parts to build your own mech until later on in the game, so you find yourself using a borrowed mech you can't customize at all and not feeling that little bit of originality a lot of mech lovers crave. Now the MP part is really good. Its an all out war between three countries, pick your side and get started. The level of teamwork is imperative if you want to survive. No lone gunman tactics or you'll end up scrap. All in all, the game is no MechWarrior but if you can stand to get the controls down in SP then go right to multi and have a real blast. If you can deal with that, go ahead and try it.

- Jivewriter

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
I've had the game for two weeks but I sitll haven't pulled it out of the shrinkwrap.

I've just been that busy.

Greyblade

I'm a MechWarrior fan, and I'm afraid I was expecting a lot more out of this game. =/
I know they were going for tactics, but the lack of proper ally/foe labelling on the radar, in addition to the sheer slowness of the mechs...ugh.
Their hardpoint method of building a mech is interesting, but I frequently find myself feeling like the thing is going to fall over at any minute.
And like several other people have already said...I want a _single player mode_, not a _tutorial game_ mode. >.<
Haven't gotten around to trying this online yet. Frankly, if I can't enjoy my favorite genre of shooter while playing solo, it doesn't really diserve a chance on multiplayer. =/

Selunca

Honestly, the game isn't worth buying unless you have xbox live. Otherwise, its very very short. If you have xbox live, you can do so much more with it.

Rather sad, honestly.

yesh it sux i can't afford xbox live anymore. i myself thought i would give it the benefit of the doubt since it's from FROM SOFTWARE makers of my favorite armored core series, which by the way beats the pants off mechwarrior. but this game is a dud for single player. i hate it now, i play it sometimes at my brothers house cuz they have xbox live and i will admit the multiplayer does indeed kick major ass but thas only when i get the chance to do so. oh well i'll stick with prey and san andreas for now. atleast till that new DOA extreme comes out along with tony hawk project 8.