• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Forum Circle Out - the Silly Circles ?

Connor J. Coyote

The ¥oteƵer Extraordinaire
Well.... as a *suggestion*, (if I may)...... is there a way for us to go back to the *square shaped* avatar photos, at some point?

Honestly - since the upgrade, I'm not really keen on the whole circled avatar thing, and I'm sure there's many others on here, that feel the same way, I imagine. ► And so, is it possible to revert to the old avatar system, at some point, (or at least make it an option for people who want it)?

My gut instinct says - I'm thinking probably not..... but, hey - you can't blame a guy for asking, right? ;)

* Honestly - the circles on here kinda make everyone look like they're trapped inside their own little "bubbles"... (floating around in the stratosphere).... or - we're all guest artist's on the Lawence Welk show this week.

Any feedback on this?

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Some websites have the option to choose between using a square or circle avatar, though I don't know how that could be implemented here. Perhaps there's an extension or plugin for XenForo that allows it.

Connor J. Coyote

Some websites have the option to choose between using a square or circle avatar, though I don't know how that could be implemented here. Perhaps there's an extension or plugin for XenForo that allows it.
Eh.... in any case, they suck.... and I'd love to get rid of them..... as the old squares were way better, IMO.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
Just checked and there's no option.

Not sure if this thread would be of any use but it seemed to touch up on what the OP is saying regarding thumbnails unless I'm missing the message entirely: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-thumbnail-avatar-preview-from-circle-to-square.186302/

This one is more focused on the overall avatar circle to square thing. According to devs, you can change it by adjusting radius: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/square-avatars.185066/

Hopefully this helps staff find the option if everyone wants squares back again. I do not know if there is a member-to-member choosing option though. In the end, I think it relies on what the admins want for their forum.

Connor J. Coyote

Yeah.... if they could get that option at some point, that'd be great.... so at least people who want this option (on their profiles) can have it, I think.

But, it's not really a deal-breaker - in order for me to leave my account on here though.

But :)..... *it is* however - just that these avatars are kind of "squished" - into these tiny circle spaces often times, and - one's artwork (of one's avatar) isn't always frequently viewable (fully)..... and so, aesthetically - it is a bit nicer, (when it's a square shape) - and there's more room for us to work with, (honestly).

zandelux

I'm not a fan of the circle avatars, either. It seemed like it was a huge web design trend about 7-8 years ago. Didn't like it then, still don't like it. :p

I bet you can customize the default theme to allow users the option. I dunno if themes just use raw CSS.

As a workaround, there are browser extensions like Stylus for Chrome and Stylish for Firefox that allow you to set custom CSS on a domain basis.

The CSS is really simple:

.avatar { border-radius: 0; }

I tested it out and it works consistently across the whole site, at least from the dozen or so pages I tested.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I'm not a fan of the circle avatars, either. It seemed like it was a huge web design trend about 7-8 years ago. Didn't like it then, still don't like it. :p

I bet you can customize the default theme to allow users the option. I dunno if themes just use raw CSS.

As a workaround, there are browser extensions like Stylus for Chrome and Stylish for Firefox that allow you to set custom CSS on a domain basis.

I tested it out and it works consistently across the whole site, at least from the dozen or so pages I tested.

Yeah this was covered in the links posted showing the devs telling others how to do it. I think staff probably don't wanna, or it's too much effort or something. :p

Connor J. Coyote

It'd be nice if we had a simple button that we can just toggle on here: selecting either square avatars, or circles.... instead of going through all the CSS stuff, honestly.

But - your comments are helpful to some, I imagine.

Connor J. Coyote

It'd be nice if we had a simple button that we can just toggle on here: selecting either square avatars, or circles.... instead of going through all the CSS stuff, honestly.

But - your comments are helpful to some, I imagine.
If the Staff is reading this: *perhaps* if we could get said option to toggle the avatar shapes (that'd be awesome).... please.

Any possibility of this? :)