• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Clarification on changing passwords?

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
I honestly wanted to be very firm after all the weird things that happen...but I'm not gonna lie, it is pretty rough. If only the other placeshad a more activet community.

I do agree with alot of others that the supposed buy out from IMVU would mean that the site would get the security and upgrades because of help from bigger companies. What I wanna know is: why hasn't this become more of a thing? it seems like when the ads came that's all it seemed to be and occasionally the ads were pretty intrusive. But apparently the security is has became really horrible on this site. So apparently that didn't get changed much if at all.

So...I want to question just where exactly is all this money going?
IMVU doesn't give a flying rats arse what happens to FA. As far as IMVU are concerned, we are just a tiny chip of their asset. We are dispensable, easily written of as surplus if need be.

Jeffron

IMVU doesn't give a flying rats arse what happens to FA. As far as IMVU are concerned, we are just a tiny chip of their asset. We are dispensable, easily written of as surplus if need be.
Then I must questin WHY on eart did Neer even accept it? if IMVU isn't helping us then there was nothing good about the whole thing.

Shaun Dreclin

It's fucking pathetic how poorly FA is managed.

First i thought people were just full of it when they quit FA because of something silly but now i really see why they do.
Stolen email addresses and passwords? What a way to fuck your community guys.

This had absolutely nothing to do with FA's staff. It was an exploit in a third party library. There was no way anybody at FA could have predicted that people would have access to the source code of the entire website.

PhantomBull

This had absolutely nothing to do with FA's staff. It was an exploit in a third party library. There was no way anybody at FA could have predicted that people would have access to the source code of the entire website.

Well, it really had to do with FA's staff. Having their code leaked should not be a problem if the code was robust enough... Wikipedia for example has all their code public and that doesn't mean that it's not secure (it doesn't mean neither that there are no bugs that can be exploited, every software has bugs). The problem is that the existing bugs in the FA's code were easier to find once the code was leaked.

Wakboth

Reminder for everyone: the batteryhorsestaple thing is better than just using Password01 or HotHyenaHunk for your password, but to be really secure, you should use randomly generated passwords along the lines of P0@&^cMRNCT#fH%^1t or so.

But wait, Wakboth, I hear you say, nobody can remember even one of those, let alone a separate one for each and every account you have on every site and service! Well, yes, that's true. In today's world, after the big leaks over the last few years that revealed tons and tons of passwords, the hackers have a better idea how people make passwords -- mnemonics, substitution schemes, and so on -- than ever before. It's probably an exaggeration to say that any password that you can easily remember is inherently insecure, but we're getting closer to that point all the time.

Hence you should be using a password manager program like KeePass or similar. Or, in the case of everyday user, write them all down in a notebook that you keep good care of. That's a lot safer for most of us, in most situations, than using and re-using poor passwords online.

A

areoplain

Coincidentally, the site linkedin has also had their user data compromised; starting from a couple of days ago or so. syncing perfectly with when the site went offline, which is odd and untimely. What's interesting is that I've seen several tweets from FA users claiming that their linkedin accounts had been breeched, all of whom claiming it was due to the recent attack on FA, which is completely understandable given what's going on. Now, I'm not saying those particular cases couldn't have been result of FA being hacked, (or a combination of both) but for anyone who has a linkedin account and has noticed any strange activity regarding their accounts, this might be the more probable reason why.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I thought I would say something... Hope this information helps someone out there.

Shaun Dreclin

Using randomly generated passwords is not acceptable for day to day use. Is it worth it for banks and other things involving money? Yes. But to remember a unique random password for every website is asking too much. Using a password manager program also has flaws, like only being able to access your accounts from a single machine.

noveltybest

i know hackers would stoop this low I mean when I heat I too precaution on all this sites I go to luckily I have more than one email address so if I loose my accounts or get compramissed I can change my passwords swiftly some of my passwords are a lot more different than others.