• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

clichés in movies you don't like

D

Deleted member 134556

If you have seen a lot of films, you will know many examples you can share here. This can be from any movie genre, about any overused concept or element you find irritating.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
When women are sidelined and are the "token chick" and have no female friends and no purpose other than being a love interest for the hero.

The Bechdel test is worth noting.

The Bechdel test, also known as the Bechdel–Wallace test, is a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added.

Dykes_to_Watch_Out_For_(Bechdel_test_origin).jpg

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Being stupid.
Honestly, in most any genre (barring comedies) it feels like such pandering to people's need to be smarter than the characters they're watching. While I, too, enjoy figuring things out on my own before the characters, having a character (or dare I say a whole cast of characters) that's intelligent and aware of whatever the situation is makes for a more intense, immersive, and enjoyable ride.

aomagrat

Person #1 is holding person #2 at gunpoint. Person #1 makes a demand of person #2. Person #2 does not comply. Person #1 cocks the gun and repeats the demand. I scream at the screen. "You idiot! You were pointing an uncocked gun? That's a good way to get your butt beat!" This especially applies if person #1 is using a single action semiautomatic.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
  • Modern weaponry being completely ineffective against aliens, only for them to be defeated by something mundane that was in plain sight all this time.
  • Underpowered guns — seriously, there are a lot of movies that would’ve been over a lot quicker if the firearms had been realistic. People tend to underestimate just how much it hurts to get shot.
  • Tokenism — you can easily tell the difference between sincere attempts at representation and inclusivity just for the sake of good brownie points or as a shield from criticism.
  • And my personal least favourite...when a woman gets abducted by the protagonist and ends up becoming his love interest.

Yakamaru

Autumn wolf
Romance in action movies. Michael Bay, I am looking at you, bro.

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
Banned
  • Modern weaponry being completely ineffective against aliens, only for them to be defeated by something mundane that was in plain sight all this time.
  • Underpowered guns — seriously, there are a lot of movies that would’ve been over a lot quicker if the firearms had been realistic. People tend to underestimate just how much it hurts to get shot.
  • Tokenism — you can easily tell the difference between sincere attempts at representation and inclusivity just for the sake of good brownie points or as a shield from criticism.
  • And my personal least favourite...when a woman gets abducted by the protagonist and ends up becoming his love interest.
- in war of the worlds it's the viruses we have evolved to be immune to that kill the invaders.
this is the only viable example where something mundane killing an alien threat is better than technology.
the reasoning why i think this is because the developed world keeps getting killed by foreign viruses when they invade foreign countries.
this happens despite the fact that the dangers of foreign virus have been known during hundreds of these events yet they do it anyway without protection.
suffice to say an alien civilisation probably falls fowl to this same apathy given longevity in prosperity.
it's not what you'd call a very human mistake to make like some would.
it's simply that carelessness is a natural byproduct of success and this is universal among all species regardless of the world they orignate on.
yep, i read the book.

- underpowered guns when it's not the protagonist, overpowered guns when it is.
even when it's the exact same gun.

- hmm. like hundreds of black people in a supposedly historically accurate movie about medieval england and then all white people during the wars in europe.
which is offensive? both! neither of those things are accurate.

- literally hades is the only guy to pull off a kidnapping that results in a successful relationship in any classic literature.
the girl swooning over the kidnapper is VERY VERY much a Victorian thing.
you know, that time when shotgun marriages were invented.
yeesh.

D

Deleted member 134556

Every supernatural horror movie where the films climax involves the whole damn house shaking, floors cracking, and objects and pieces of the house flying everywhere, then some spell or words are chanted, and then the angry spirit just goes away, causing everything to instantly stop and return to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I hate the "liar revealed" trope, any needlessly-big misunderstanding that could be fixed with just a simple goddamn conversation, and how the mob that attacked or bullied the protagonist is never held accountable for their behavior.

sausy1

i'm fine
P o l i t i c a l
S o a p
B o x i n g

Okay, this isn't a big cliche, but it grinds my gears.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I also agree on the needless romance. If people are fighting and there is no interaction between them until the end of it all, why the frick would I care if they were in love? Some movies were actually pretty good before it switched genres like that.

Anything that was clearly recorded from a phone or handcam. I like older movies because footage was FUCKING STABLE. But I suppose that's more of a vent than a cliche.

'Documentaries' and 'reenactments' where people were sent to camps and are basically slaves/test subjects, but at NO POINT do they lose access to makeup or even smear it when they sob in fear.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Person who doesn't want kids/doesn't like kids, doesn't relate to kids. . .suddenly has a situation foisted on them where they're stuck caring for kid(s) and at the end of the movie they have a kid of their own, or they've adopted a kid, or something like that. I especially hate it when they do this with women characters. . .they write a career-oriented woman as being really "shallow" and "selfish" and unlikable because she doesn't want to have kids, then she falls in love with the "right man" who shows her the "error" of her ways and she changes her mind and becomes a baby factory for him. Ugh.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
As someone who once did Media and now can easily see a lot of things, there are tons of cliches...

"Guy continues to pursue and deadass harass and stalk a woman and she suddenly loves him by end of movie" - So I may not be a girl, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm pretty sure girls DO NOT like being harassed and stalked because you want them to love you and you expect after the 100th time, yet even after the 1st they'll change their mind.

"Gay person must constantly remind people they're gay." - This is prob just a new thing since homosexuality is just being more accepted in media, but can the gay characters please not mention they're gay... FOR FIVE MINUTES! Or heck, not be overly flamboyant? Like yes there are those kind of people, but not everyone is.

"Person with years of experience is somehow incompitent at face of protaginist, whiles protaginist who had little to no experience nor even anything compable to the other is somehow 'just better'" - This can just be anything. Guy with 20+ years of experience fighting is outmatched by someone who never fought in their life, or even had gotten their ass many times. You can make this worse and trigger gun enthusiasts by making them do something like randomly cocking the gun to look badass even though it doesn't work like that.

"Can't stand up for 2 minutes whiles getting chased by killer!" - Apparently when you're being chased by a serial killer say Ghost Face, people can't seem to stand up for mere seconds to actually make distance. This is why I love the Scary Movie series that purposely takes the piss out of this kind of stuff. (I'd advice anyone who HATES horror cliches to watch it because it really does take the mick out of 'em and it's amazing.)

"Love at first sight" - This is basically where Male protaganist sees Female character and has one of those Pepe Booba moments. This basically majority of the times leads to the thing where girl ends up loving the guy, often via the first cliche I've mentioned. This also causes some AWFUL scenes that I'll mention next.

"Awkward love confessions" - I don't know how to describe it, but it's basically those scenes where Guy and Girl are talking and well, it's clear either they love each other, or one loves the other and it just has this very awkward moment to it where the guy cannot get a single word out. Maybe it's just me, but I find myself skipping these moments and cringing whiles watching said film/episode on netflix. I know not everyone is the cliche "chad" who can instantly ask out the girl, but we don't need a 10 minute scene of a guy trying to say "I have feelings for you", this is also those scenes where you KNOW something happens immediately after to interupt it, and often when skipping it, yeah I miss an potentially good surprise coz bad scene.

D

Deleted member 134556

When two people in a movie are having a conversation, usually one of the two will at some point turn around and face away from the other, usually staring out a window, at a wall, or pretty much anything while they continue talking to this person.

1618591958419.png

No one I've ever talked to did this in real life, and I'd feel incredibly awkward if it ever happened.

Kumali

Lupine-American

"Guy continues to pursue and deadass harass and stalk a woman and she suddenly loves him by end of movie" - So I may not be a girl, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I'm pretty sure girls DO NOT like being harassed and stalked because you want them to love you and you expect after the 100th time, yet even after the 1st they'll change their mind.

Looking at you, Pedro Almodovar. ("Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!", one of the few films I've ever walked out on because I was so disgusted with nonconsensual abduction and bondage being depicted as "cute.")

One thing that bugs me in films is when a character is depicted playing a musical instrument and it's obvious the actor isn't really playing it. Fine, it's understandable if the actor doesn't play the instrument his/her character does, but at least do something to conceal that fact: don't show the actor's hands, cut to closeups of someone else's hands actually playing, or whatever.

In fairness, it's gotten better in recent decades: Forest Whitaker actually learned Charlie Parker's sax fingerings for Bird (no small accomplishment!), Geoffrey Rush did his own hand doubling for Shine, being a serious classical pianist himself, and Johnny Depp is a decent guitarist and was really playing in Chocolat. But one of the more egregious examples is the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene from Deliverance - Ronny Cox was playing the guitar correctly onscreen, although it's Steve Mandel on the soundtrack, but the kid "playing" the banjo wasn't doing ANYTHING THE LEAST BIT LIKE what Eric Weissberg was doing on the soundtrack.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Looking at you, Pedro Almodovar. ("Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!", one of the few films I've ever walked out on because I was so disgusted with nonconsensual abduction and bondage being depicted as "cute.")

One thing that bugs me in films is when a character is depicted playing a musical instrument and it's obvious the actor isn't really playing it. Fine, it's understandable if the actor doesn't play the instrument his/her character does, but at least do something to conceal that fact: don't show the actor's hands, cut to closeups of someone else's hands actually playing, or whatever.

In fairness, it's gotten better in recent decades: Forest Whitaker actually learned Charlie Parker's sax fingerings for Bird (no small accomplishment!), Geoffrey Rush did his own hand doubling for Shine, being a serious classical pianist himself, and Johnny Depp is a decent guitarist and was really playing in Chocolat. But one of the more egregious examples is the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene from Deliverance - Ronny Cox was playing the guitar correctly onscreen, although it's Steve Mandel on the soundtrack, but the kid "playing" the banjo wasn't doing ANYTHING THE LEAST BIT LIKE what Eric Weissberg was doing on the soundtrack.
Characters that are supposed to be artists but the actor just sorta fake sketches over a part that's already done.

Or painting with a dry brush.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Humans are always inferior to "alien race that shows up", unless they're the bad guys. At least Starship Troopers showed humanity kicking ass, (and bugs are also pretty much needing to be exterminated.)