• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

clichés in movies you don't like

Zara the Hork-Bajir

- If there are reptilian aliens/animals they are always evil or the "bad guys", whereas any mammalian aliens/animals always end up being the good guys (why all the hate for scalies?) :p
- In so many modern action movies they will have a very small woman fighting a massive man hand to hand and winning without difficulty. While I have no problem with a woman winning a fight there is no way you can punch out/ throw around someone who is close to double your weight. If you want the woman to win, give her a knife or gun or the element of surprise.
- A gun standoff basically never makes sense, if you are both pointing guns at each other just pull the trigger first and win, their reaction time is much slower than the speed of a bullet.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
- If there are reptilian aliens/animals they are always evil or the "bad guys", whereas any mammalian aliens/animals always end up being the good guys (why all the hate for scalies?) :p
- In so many modern action movies they will have a very small woman fighting a massive man hand to hand and winning without difficulty. While I have no problem with a woman winning a fight there is no way you can punch out/ throw around someone who is close to double your weight. If you want the woman to win, give her a knife or gun or the element of surprise.
- A gun standoff basically never makes sense, if you are both pointing guns at each other just pull the trigger first and win, their reaction time is much slower than the speed of a bullet.

-Alligators and a lot of reptiles that are larger are more aggressive.

-MUH FEMNIZSMZ Ironically in WW2 giving a lady a rifle was your best idea, worked great for the Soviets with their snipers.

-This cliché goes way deep, like it's in anime and even in old Westerns.

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
Humans are always inferior to "alien race that shows up", unless they're the bad guys. At least Starship Troopers showed humanity kicking ass, (and bugs are also pretty much needing to be exterminated.)
For real though, I'm tired of most fictional alien species being automatically god-like in comparison to us! Where are the movies where we're god-like in comparison to them? It could make for such an interesting story...

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
To answer your first question, we as mammals have an instinctual bias against animals that seem unfamiliar to us, and also, reptiles have been commonly represented as antagonists as long as storytelling has existed.

As for the second point, I agree completely! A lot of films interpret the 'strong female character' as an emotionless husk who beats down literally anyone she meets, which is honestly really infuriating. I would much rather see a character with a well-defined personality than "stereotypical action hero, except with boobs this time! "

I love cowboy films as much as the next guy, but yeah — guns never work properly in movies.

Zara the Hork-Bajir

Humans are always inferior to "alien race that shows up", unless they're the bad guys. At least Starship Troopers showed humanity kicking ass, (and bugs are also pretty much needing to be exterminated.)
Well in their defense, they did show up to our planet not the other way around... Though of course that is only better technology.

To answer your first question, we as mammals have an instinctual bias against animals that seem unfamiliar to us, and also, reptiles have been commonly represented as antagonists as long as storytelling has existed.
I totally agree on that is the reason that it is done, it just is silly that we keep doing this just because humans are speciesist against reptiles.

- And what about in any apocalypse movie the protagonist is soo slow on realizing that things are going wrong, is totally unprepared, has a family member with a disability, almost never has a firearm despite living in the USA, and then somehow manages to bumble his way into a safe facility that allows him survive.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Well in their defense, they did show up to our planet not the other way around... Though of course that is only better technology.

I totally agree on that is the reason that it is done, it just is silly that we keep doing this just because humans are speciesist against reptiles.

- And what about in any apocalypse movie the protagonist is soo slow on realizing that things are going wrong, is totally unprepared, has a family member with a disability, almost never has a firearm despite living in the USA, and then somehow manages to bumble his way into a safe facility that allows him survive.

Yeah, but here's the thing. IRL kinetic guns would still go ouch. Forcefields are not really possible IR. Humanity would still kick a lot of ass.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
For real though, I'm tired of most fictional alien species being automatically god-like in comparison to us! Where are the movies where we're god-like in comparison to them? It could make for such an interesting story...

Eh, Warhammer has us at pretty much that level. (At least we always win with high casualties), there is also Star Wars where the Empire basically has one core world like Earth. Plus, there is Avatar where we basically outgun the aliens.

Speratic

Don't mind me, just lurking
LET WOMEN IN MOVIES WEAR GLASSES!!!!! I know more people than not who wear them, but it's only used to show a woman as nerdy and plain and an outcast. But lo and behold! Take them off and she's ***beautiful*** and all the boys want her now. Heck, let them still have cute makeovers at least. But for the love of god don't force us to have 20/20 vision just to be given respect.

puffypawbs

• Modern weaponry being completely ineffective against aliens, only for them to be defeated by something mundane that was in plain sight all this time.
  • Underpowered guns — seriously, there are a lot of movies that would’ve been over a lot quicker if the firearms had been realistic. People tend to underestimate just how much it hurts to get shot.
  • Tokenism — you can easily tell the difference between sincere attempts at representation and inclusivity just for the sake of good brownie points or as a shield from criticism.
  • And my personal least favourite...when a woman gets abducted by the protagonist and ends up becoming his love interest.
(sorry i deleted my reply last time, i messed up the formatting and included my reply within your quote.. lol)

but anyways I came here to say tokenism as well. and I see you're a writer!

puffypawbs

Yup! And how about you? What do you make? :D
well, if i'm being honest, i make looooong lists of story and character ideas but never actually getting around to writing a story before i've found a plothole that i can't imagine how to write myself out of XD but i'll always be lost in some fictional world, don't worry about that

JuniperW

Birb Fanatic
well, if i'm being honest, i make looooong lists of story and character ideas but never actually getting around to writing a story before i've found a plothole that i can't imagine how to write myself out of XD but i'll always be lost in some fictional world, don't worry about that
Happens a lot of the time with me...being productive is hard...

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Looking at you, Pedro Almodovar. ("Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!", one of the few films I've ever walked out on because I was so disgusted with nonconsensual abduction and bondage being depicted as "cute.")

One thing that bugs me in films is when a character is depicted playing a musical instrument and it's obvious the actor isn't really playing it. Fine, it's understandable if the actor doesn't play the instrument his/her character does, but at least do something to conceal that fact: don't show the actor's hands, cut to closeups of someone else's hands actually playing, or whatever.

In fairness, it's gotten better in recent decades: Forest Whitaker actually learned Charlie Parker's sax fingerings for Bird (no small accomplishment!), Geoffrey Rush did his own hand doubling for Shine, being a serious classical pianist himself, and Johnny Depp is a decent guitarist and was really playing in Chocolat. But one of the more egregious examples is the famous "Dueling Banjos" scene from Deliverance - Ronny Cox was playing the guitar correctly onscreen, although it's Steve Mandel on the soundtrack, but the kid "playing" the banjo wasn't doing ANYTHING THE LEAST BIT LIKE what Eric Weissberg was doing on the soundtrack.
Same goes for characters who are supposed to be these amazing horsemen, but the actors can't ride worth a crap.

And, when the sound guy has horses whinnying and making random noises every time it shows horses on screen, especially if a horse opens it mouth.

Borophagus Monoclinous

The official prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
As a mechanic, the lack of attention to simple technical details can really grind my gears.

When a car engine stalls for no apparent reason, they use the same canned clunking engine sound every single time. Please come up with something new.

In a critical moment, one flat tire suddenly makes a car completely undrivable. I've driven cars with four flat tires. Keep driving, or come up with a better mechanical failure. Bad writing. No technical editing.

Every car oversteers like crazy going fast around turns, but you never see them understeer, nor do you see them actually take a properly fast turn with a clean line. Overacting stunt drivers. Bad directing.

Car taking off at a leisurely pace squeals tires.

Car driving normal speed around a turn squeals tires.

Car taking off/turning on a dirt road squeals tires.

Canned engine sound effects do not match vehicle shown, or the manner in which it is being driven.

Column shifter is clearly in "Park" during interior shot of driving scene.

Speedometer reading zero, or nothing close to speed of driving scene.

Interior shot is of a different vehicle than exterior shot.

Maybe this is getting away from clichés, and getting more into lazy/shitty editing. But I could go on for days.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Romanticizing/focusing on self-destructive characters. Hate it. It's one thing to inspire someone out of that state, it's another thing to promote the lifestyle.

That's the "woobie destroyer of worlds" thing, and this is one reason I fucking hated Scourge and Fiona's story arc, they're just going to end up in an abusive relationship.

Kumali

Lupine-American
Same goes for characters who are supposed to be these amazing horsemen, but the actors can't ride worth a crap.

Right. If the character engages in any kind of skilled activity, especially if it's an integral part of the plot, either give the actor a bit of training in it beforehand, at least enough to be semi-convincing with enough creative editing, or just don't show it.

I love stories about actors who seriously learn to do stuff for their roles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt learned to walk on a high wire for his role as Philippe Petit in The Walk (and was trained by Petit himself), and Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom took fencing lessons together for the first Pirates of the Caribbean, from the same fencing master who trained Errol Flynn for Robin Hood.

Netanye Dakabi

people call me queen
there's literally no way to win but now they have a chicken mc.muffin they found 5 minutes ago that makes them win instantly