• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

clichés in movies you don't like

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I like transformation, but it's rather annoying when a character is transformed but is completely oblivious to it until they see their reflection.
Things like being several times bigger or smaller than their usual size, walking on all fours, having new or missing appendages (e.g. a tail), the altered shape of various body parts, having a muzzle right in their vision, and any altered senses somehow escape the character's notice entirely.
That's not to say that the character should immediately realize what has happened, especially if they're disoriented, or that the reflection shouldn't be involved. A reflection can be good to take in the full scope of the transformation. But it should pretty quickly be obvious to them that something about them is different without needing a mirror or somebody pointing out the transformation.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I like transformation, but it's rather annoying when a character is transformed but is completely oblivious to it until they see their reflection.
Things like being several times bigger or smaller than their usual size, walking on all fours, having new or missing appendages (e.g. a tail), the altered shape of various body parts, having a muzzle right in their vision, and any altered senses somehow escape the character's notice entirely.
That's not to say that the character should immediately realize what has happened, especially if they're disoriented, or that the reflection shouldn't be involved. A reflection can be good to take in the full scope of the transformation. But it should pretty quickly be obvious to them that something about them is different without needing a mirror or somebody pointing out the transformation.

Oddly enough, that is often an excuse for a giant character to still be "good", like they don't realize it. However, the character has to be insane or dumb. My own characters generally take notice. But either they just watch where they step or go or they just don't care. I think the reflection idea is cartoony, but I've seen it in some games like Fallout where a super mutant doesn't even realize what they are. Sometimes ghouls too.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Oddly enough, that is often an excuse for a giant character to still be "good", like they don't realize it. However, the character has to be insane or dumb. My own characters generally take notice. But either they just watch where they step or go or they just don't care. I think the reflection idea is cartoony, but I've seen it in some games like Fallout where a super mutant doesn't even realize what they are. Sometimes ghouls too.
Yeah, most instances I can think of are in cartoons.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Yeah, most instances I can think of are in cartoons.

Yeah, in movies however (like with ant man), a giant character really doesn't cause THAT much damage and can just stand there without any problems. The only real problem is moving around and/or falling over. Powerpuff Girls made a episode of this, but 'realistically' a character who is huge would be fully sentient about the fact, (even kids can be told "hey don't break that" and superheroes/villains) can just only attack key targets.) So unless the giant monster/character intentionally wants to cause destruction, they really are not that much of a worry.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Yeah, in movies however (like with ant man), a giant character really doesn't cause THAT much damage and can just stand there without any problems. The only real problem is moving around and/or falling over. Powerpuff Girls made a episode of this, but 'realistically' a character who is huge would be fully sentient about the fact, (even kids can be told "hey don't break that" and superheroes/villains) can just only attack key targets.) So unless the giant monster/character intentionally wants to cause destruction, they really are not that much of a worry.
The scene in particular I remembered, from Rock-a-Doodle, was when Edmond was turned into a cat, literally crawled out of his now comparatively huge clothes, and still took a good while to notice his transformation.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The scene in particular I remembered, from Rock-a-Doodle, was when Edmond was turned into a cat, literally crawled out of his now comparatively huge clothes, and still took a good while to notice his transformation.

Huh, Amanda used to be able to turn into a dragon, but somehow her clothes would just magically come back. Then again this idea was scrapped when I just made her able to fly via telekinesis. Most characters don't turn into other forms or species in my story, mostly because of how much of a headache it would be to explain that as opposed to during gigantic but being fully aware of it, or being able to fly, shoot mind bullets, ect ect.

Band1t

Mostly Harmless
I'd also like to point out how gamers are represented in modern media. Most movies/shows that involve gaming either use some sort of garbage fake game that I don't think anybody would ever buy, or just make gamers some sort of Call of Duty culture where any popular game is a first person shooter that focuses more on the side of senseless violence with little to no story involved. (No offence to any COD players or anybody like that, but I just feel like they lack any true plot that's engaging.)

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
JUMP SCARE! BOOO!

Seriously, this is what Resident Evil has turned into, a jumpscare movie.

You can have things be scary without jumping out every five minutes. Fallout does good with this by adding an atmosphere of danger.

Band1t

Mostly Harmless
JUMP SCARE! BOOO!

Seriously, this is what Resident Evil has turned into, a jumpscare movie.

You can have things be scary without jumping out every five minutes. Fallout does good with this by adding an atmosphere of danger.
Agreed, though Fallout 76 and 4 don't give me that feeling. In both I feel like a chad who knows no limit.
3 and NV give a bit of eeriness, which is always fun. Lonesome road for NV was that perfect "Welp, I could die from 3 deathclaws, or I could die by some land mines, possibly both!" and 3 in general was just, well creepy, like a nuclear war did happen. 4 and 76 put the whole nuclear war aspect on the backburner IMO.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Agreed, though Fallout 76 and 4 don't give me that feeling. In both I feel like a chad who knows no limit.
3 and NV give a bit of eeriness, which is always fun. Lonesome road for NV was that perfect "Welp, I could die from 3 deathclaws, or I could die by some land mines, possibly both!" and 3 in general was just, well creepy, like a nuclear war did happen. 4 and 76 put the whole nuclear war aspect on the backburner IMO.

76 and 4 tries to show more of the horrors of Vault Tec than all the "projects" left behind. 76 also has a stupid not zombie plague. But hey.

3 has the most, literally you get jumped by giant ants the moment you leave the vault. Fire breathing ants. I use the Red Glare and flaregun on Deathclaws in Lonesome Road. I target them first. I actually feel 4 had more of the "post apocalypse" feel (at least at the start) than New Vegas did. Mostly because of the intro compared to just starting off in Goodsprings. Fallout 76 for the most part, (minus the fun of dropping nukes on players), played it straight to where West Virginia missed most of the bombs. So there's a reason 76 looks more lively, but with 4 they have the Glowing Sea which looks straight out of Tiberium Sun. In 4 you're mostly to die of things that are like raiders, but in 76 it's meant to be more coop so all the monsters have a spawn place that you just encounter like any MMO.

Band1t

Mostly Harmless
76 and 4 tries to show more of the horrors of Vault Tec than all the "projects" left behind. 76 also has a stupid not zombie plague. But hey.

3 has the most, literally you get jumped by giant ants the moment you leave the vault. Fire breathing ants. I use the Red Glare and flaregun on Deathclaws in Lonesome Road. I target them first. I actually feel 4 had more of the "post apocalypse" feel (at least at the start) than New Vegas did. Mostly because of the intro compared to just starting off in Goodsprings. Fallout 76 for the most part, (minus the fun of dropping nukes on players), played it straight to where West Virginia missed most of the bombs. So there's a reason 76 looks more lively, but with 4 they have the Glowing Sea which looks straight out of Tiberium Sun. In 4 you're mostly to die of things that are like raiders, but in 76 it's meant to be more coop so all the monsters have a spawn place that you just encounter like any MMO.
Totally agree with your take on FO3, but the New Vegas DLC's are very good at making an eerie feel, well besides Old World Blues, Gun Runners, and Couriers Stash. (I mean the last two do count as DLC, but there isn't really a story with them. Old World Blues is my favorite out of the DLC's though, it was just fun.) Honest Hearts reminds me that the story takes place a long time after the war, and Dead Money was very spook.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Totally agree with your take on FO3, but the New Vegas DLC's are very good at making an eerie feel, well besides Old World Blues, Gun Runners, and Couriers Stash. (I mean the last two do count as DLC, but there isn't really a story with them. Old World Blues is my favorite out of the DLC's though, it was just fun.) Honest Hearts reminds me that the story takes place a long time after the war, and Dead Money was very spook.

Old Worlds Blues didn't really scare me, but they used a track that was from the first and second game which is scary. I haven't played Honest Hearts and Dead Money I haven't really completed yet. I sort of messed up Honest Hearts by killing the wrong tribe (the ones with Joshua) and I have held off Dead Money because of my friends.

Band1t

Mostly Harmless
Old Worlds Blues didn't really scare me, but they used a track that was from the first and second game which is scary. I haven't played Honest Hearts and Dead Money I haven't really completed yet. I sort of messed up Honest Hearts by killing the wrong tribe (the ones with Joshua) and I have held off Dead Money because of my friends.
Well, I'd say Honest hearts is fun on the exploring aspect of the game, but I wasn't too big of a fan of Dead Monkey.

Band1t

Mostly Harmless
Honest Hearts was having me just trying to survive and pass it. Old Worlds Blues I would explore the most, but there is that place overan by cazodores..
I HATE cazadors with a burning passion. "Why are they so powerful? Because, bug." (Official Obsidian interview about cazadors [Well not official, but you get what I'm saying.])

Kumali

Lupine-American
Any movie that...takes no regards in the opinions of the fanbase or authentic story and characters in the universe.

Along those lines, I really wish someone someday would make a film version of The Jungle Books (plural, yes; Kipling wrote two) that's actually faithful to the original. There have been four or five live-action adaptations now, including the recent CGI one, along with Disney's godawful cartoon version from 1967, and none of them resembled the Kipling stories at all.

Nexus Cabler

Lord of typos
Along those lines, I really wish someone someday would make a film version of The Jungle Books (plural, yes; Kipling wrote two) that's actually faithful to the original. There have been four or five live-action adaptations now, including the recent CGI one, along with Disney's godawful cartoon version from 1967, and none of them resembled the Kipling stories at all.
Truth be told, I haven't read any of the original works. I'm going to give them a look now, because they sound far more interesting than the Disney movies.

That said, It's also deserving to add movies that are insultingly inaccurate to the books or writings they are basing themselves off of. One good example being the Eragon movie. I left the theaters so confused as a kid seeing that.

Kumali

Lupine-American
Truth be told, I haven't read any of the original works. I'm going to give them a look now, because they sound far more interesting than the Disney movies.

That said, It's also deserving to add movies that are insultingly inaccurate to the books or writings they are basing themselves off of. One good example being the Eragon movie. I left the theaters so confused as a kid seeing that.

I seem to recall - and I might be misremembering, but I think this is true - that Ian Fleming's estate gave filmmakers permission to use the book titles and character names from the James Bond novels, but not the stories themselves. Which is why all the early James Bond films that had the same titles as actual Ian Fleming James Bond novels bore no real resemblance to the books.

Interesting thing about the Jungle Books is that they're all self-contained short stories, only about half of which are about Mowgli, Baloo, Bagheera and co. (They're not even all set in the jungle; a couple are set in the Arctic. They're all about animals one way or another, though.) The Mowgli stories are arranged more-or-less chronologically from his adoption into the wolf pack as a baby until (spoiler) he leaves the jungle for the last time as a seventeen-year-old. Quite a bit darker than one might expect from the movies.

NFP

The husband/father is always dumb, sluggish, unaware of the danger, careless, and makes dangerous but laughable mistakes that his flawless and brilliant wife has to fix and save the day.
THIS, exactly THIS.

Additionally, mostly on TV shows. Hyper-over-achieving teenage girl vs. underachieving-dumb boy brother.