• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

clichés in movies you don't like

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
Weird, obsessive nerdy guys doing really creepy stalking things to women in "romantic comedies" and eventually winning them over.

Nexus Cabler

Lord of typos
How they always use the same gimmick for high school bullies in American films

PC Master Race

I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned some or all of the following, but I can't be bothered to look through 6 pages of the thread. So here's my take.

• Magic or superpower serving no purpose other than... combat.
  • Attacks mostly the same, just blowing things up or looking flashy.
  • Power of friendship.
  • Bad guys' monologues.
  • Screaming attack name before... the attack. As loud as you can.
  • Literally explaining what your powers are to the opponents.
  • Swords (or, katanas) way way way overused, just forget about everything else.
  • Humans, elves and dwarves. Almost. All. The time.
    • Yet, at the same time, animal transformation is usually some pretty high-quality magic/power to be had.
  • Dragons are always the biggest threats, or the rulers.

PC Master Race

Oh right, another that I forgot.
Split up when being chased by monsters or serial killers or what have you.
Like, come on.

Kumali

Lupine-American
Weird, obsessive nerdy guys doing really creepy stalking things to women in "romantic comedies" and eventually winning them over.

Again, Pedro Almodovar's "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" - one of the few films I've ever walked out on because I found that whole trope so utterly offensive.

Nexus Cabler

Lord of typos
Movies that take place in the future, but somehow all the current trends and music popular when the film was made are still popular at that time in the future.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
Merfolk or some similar aquatic race being horrified or offended at humans eating fish. It doesn't seem that they object to us eating the meat of land animals; just fish, so it's not an issue of them being vegetarians.

I guess it's part of a larger "cannibalistic parallax" that can be summed up as "If humans see some similarity between sapient species A and nonspaient species B, species A will see eating species B as cannibalism."

Nexus Cabler

Lord of typos
90s/early 2000s movie bully starter pack
To be honest, I've met "jocks" and people on the high school sports teams who were pretty nice to me.

It just makes this character style even more stale.

Eremurus

live long, and prosper
The constant tripping when the victim is trying to run away from the crazy masked murderer in those 80's horror films. You are being pumped with adrenaline and fear. Your ass is not going to trip unless you REALLY misstep.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
Female and a male must clearly be or get into a romantic relationship.
There is no female friends with a male or vice versa unless one is gay.

Like damn, are guys not allowed to befriend girls and vice versa? And can we not do it where we go half way through film “Man, I love her.”
To be honest, I've met "jocks" and people on the high school sports teams who were pretty nice to me.

It just makes this character style even more stale.
They ain’t that bad to be fair. There’s some that are jerks but no one likes them anyway, had some friends who were well, I guess not 90s jock but the equal of a modern one.

Plus they make good gym buddies.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
The way Spider-Man is always in movies with skyscrapers, bridges and other tall things to chase the villains through...I wanna see him in a totally flat, dusty Nebraska landscape, with nothing taller than a dumpy old trailer.

Kumali

Lupine-American
The way Spider-Man is always in movies with skyscrapers, bridges and other tall things to chase the villains through...I wanna see him in a totally flat, dusty Nebraska landscape, with nothing taller than a dumpy old trailer.

Kind of along the same lines, I've always wished someone would do a remake of Andy Warhol's "Empire," but instead of a single unmoving silent shot of the Empire State Building for eight hours, a single unmoving silent shot of something in nature for eight hours, maybe a tree in a forest or some buttes in a desert out west or something like that.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Kind of along the same lines, I've always wished someone would do a remake of Andy Warhol's "Empire," but instead of a single unmoving silent shot of the Empire State Building for eight hours, a single unmoving silent shot of something in nature for eight hours, maybe a tree in a forest or some buttes in a desert out west or something like that.
Good observation!

Here's another trope that gets old: Newer foreign films where the couple is altogether perfectly beautiful and glamorous, and also live in amazingly beautiful and glamorous (generally upper-middle class) Mediterranean surroundings.

Whatever happened to gritty foreign films that focused on the lives of common, everyday people, and wrought their richness from that?

Last edited:

BigFuzzyBenji

*Hugger*
Maybe not so much of a cliche, but I can't stand how people in movies/shows don't greet each other hello/goodbye on phone calls (just hang up). Like...rude? lol

Koriekraiz13

kleptomaniac for knowledge
How the annoying guy that can't stop bitching how they're the best ever, and complaining that someone else is inferior for no bloody reason, and how they ALWAYS dies in horror movies, just for them getting their comeuppance.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
How the annoying guy that can't stop bitching how they're the best ever, and complaining that someone else is inferior for no bloody reason, and how they ALWAYS dies in horror movies, just for them getting their comeuppance.

Literally this guy in Fallout.

Nexus Cabler

Lord of typos
I’m mainly looking at people like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, as well as westerns where people fire more than six rounds from a six shooter without reloading.
I remember a scene where a man runs across a hallway firing a 9mm and shoots about 25 to 30 times without reloading, mostly missing every shot and just causing sparks and lights to go out.