• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Clothes or no clothes on furries?

xofrats

The cat said what?
In my gallery it is pretty much 50/50. I have some rather simple characters were the clothes is part of them.
But when I draw other peoples character I usually draw them without clothes.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Depends on the context, the Furry itself and whether or not it's necessary for it to have clothes. Also depends on what stage the Furry is at. Some are better with clothes, some are better without.

Personally I prefer with, as it feels more natural for sentient species.

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
Do I prefer clothes or none at all (SFW) on my fursona? Interesting question, and one that I was afraid what I would be getting into when I first saw it... I would say a general concept sheet is decent without clothes, but beyond that it depends on the purpose of the portrayal in the art. Clothes can be quite helpful in setting an attitude in some departments, with me even going so far as to start concept drafting my real life BSA uniform for one particular scene that I want to draw myself... beyond that, it's really more of an artist's preference, I guess.

Why do I get the feeling I misunderstood the question?

Last edited:

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I think it depends on the style. I think clothes add a lot more personality and realism to it. But, no clothing does lend itself to being a little more close to the nature-y part of the animal origins.
I'm a sucker for some cute furries in oversized sweaters though. :x

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Clothes. You can add much more charisma and show some interesting traits by dressing your character in particular fashion (something @Keeroh already mentioned), and when designing OCs, I tend to dedicate a lot of time to express their personality through what they prefer to wear. Clothless characters usually look dull as crap, in my opinion.

S

Sagt

When I saw the name of this thread, I was expecting it to be about something else. :p

Anyways, I think I agree with nerdbat. The clothes add to the personality quite a bit and so the unclothed ones are quite bland in comparison.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
:)

Half clothed or both. In my opinion, Having them natural doesn't really depict personality and becomes a tad bland. This is not the case for all anthros by any means, But clothes do bring out their personality far more then being all-natural can do. ;)

:)

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
Feral dragons are not normally inclined to wear clothes. There are a few adornments that can look nice, but clothes? Nah, I'll go without. Anthro characters, though, are much more interesting when wearing clothes, as others have said, because they're more expressive that way.

M

MaikeruNezumi

It really depends on the kind of style or theme I'm going for.

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
Xar has some natural pants known as a slit, and is an ice dragon, so clothes aren't really nessisary

Xaroin

THE ONE THE ONLY
Feral dragons are not normally inclined to wear clothes. There are a few adornments that can look nice, but clothes? Nah, I'll go without. Anthro characters, though, are much more interesting when wearing clothes, as others have said, because they're more expressive that way.
also the fact Xar can swap between them means there's another reason to not wear clothes

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Depends on the fursuit/costume, but all in all, I tend to like no clothes better, or at least, at cons, they seem to be my favorites. Clothes often seem kinda bulky/lumpy looking, over a fursuit. But it varies, and, of course, to each their own : )

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
It depends. If your character is something like mine, clothes are not only impossible to wear but complete unnecessary since the lovebits are internal. It is, however, best to be consistent when dealing with mostly humanoid figures that do boast visible lovebits. I say clothes.

Lexiand

Werewolf
mine will only have a red hoodie and some shorts on.

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Depends on the fursuit/costume, but all in all, I tend to like no clothes better, or at least, at cons, they seem to be my favorites. Clothes often seem kinda bulky/lumpy looking, over a fursuit.
The thread is about anthros in general though, not just fursuits .з.

A

Alex K

Ah only put clothes on my dog when the wether is snowy rainy cloudy sunny or hurricany