• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Clothing design for anthros/furries?

fsendventd

I'm kinda a stickler for realism in the furry world I have in my head, and have been trying to figure this out for a while. Mostly concerned with tail holes in pants. People usually seem to gloss over how you'd put on such an article of clothing and will add a tail hole or something but not a way to undo it. For characters with fluffier or less flexible tails (I think of mostly foxes for the former and dragons for the latter) that'd be really difficult, since stuffing a fluffy tail through a small hole would be difficult and you just physically couldn't bend a less flexible one to fit. A button or snap works well on jeans or cargo pants or formal clothing, but for looser/lighter athletic clothing or underwear that both wouldn't really look good and probably wouldn't be as comfortable. I have a couple ideas, will list them after this, but what do you folks think would work best?

Idea 1: something with magnets. Sew small thin magnets (like thin fridge magnets but stronger) into overlapping pieces of fabric on the top of the tail hole and just attach them that way. Alternatively make a dedicated metal or plastic buckle with magnets in it, and a hook or two designed to keep the halves from sliding apart since it'd be heavier and more likely to do so. I see the former working for athletic clothing for both style and convenience, and the latter could make an interesting alternative to a button or snap where those work. For underwear it seems like the first one could work but might be a little uncomfortable since it'd press into the wearer's waist a bit. (Really for sleeping, since you'd be laying on top of it, don't know if it'd be noticeable otherwise.)

Idea 2: Velcro. Obvious issues with fur, but for scaled species it would be simple, lightweight, and comfortable if designed well. Probably best for underwear but could work on athletic clothing if styled correctly.

Idea 3: Some sort of simple slide fastener, with a piece shaped like a sideways T and a piece shaped like a C that it'd slide into. Depending on the orientation of the pieces it could probably be easily padded to be comfortable. Likely similar to the magnets but easier to make and a bit more likely to have the (probably plastic) bits break. Again, better for athletic clothing, though perhaps better suited to underwear than the magnets due to being easier to make comfortable but not bulky.

Idea 4: Just multiple smaller buttons with an extra layer of fabric behind them to keep the knots from sewing them in from being uncomfortable. Probably only good for underwear, and would probably make the tail hole less of an actual hole and more of a slit, but simple and probably comfortable for species with thicker fur that acts as padding.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
Assless chaps

Personally I always figured the cloth strap and button worked the best. I've also seen some artwork with the tails just sitticking out of the pants, but that seems somewhat uncomfortable to me. If the faceting breaking was an issue, doubling up or using higher quality materials would probably work. Could maybe use a belt to go over top of the strap for extra protection and safety.

ben909

vaporeon
One idea i had was that things like dresses or kilts that don’t have pant legs would be more popular with characters with big tails

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I would have said either smaller buttons, multiple snaps, or combination of slide fastener and normal buttons.

In the setting I was working on (and need to resume working with at some point), I pictured tailors being one of the most important jobs even if very advanced manufacturing came about precisely because of things like this. (You can only mass manufacture for so many species.)

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Honestly - draw string around the hole. If it's not formal, you have the draw string for the "belt" and a separate draw string for the tail. This and stretchy fabric resolve most of the issues. Alternatively, you just tie up and over the tail - so the pants basically have a U-shape in the back and a couple of ties.

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
I've thought long about this myself and always came to the conclusion either velcro or magnetic linings would be the solution

fsendventd

I've thought long about this myself and always came to the conclusion either velcro or magnetic linings would be the solution
What exactly do you imagine those magnetic bits would look like? There are various ways to go about it.

I would have said either smaller buttons, multiple snaps, or combination of slide fastener and normal buttons.

In the setting I was working on (and need to resume working with at some point), I pictured tailors being one of the most important jobs even if very advanced manufacturing came about precisely because of things like this. (You can only mass manufacture for so many species.)
I think it's just a complicated question because there are so many different factors one needs to take into account. Most anthros have fur so velcro would get tangled easily and not be ideal, a lot of people lounge/sleep in athletic-style clothing or underwear so nothing too bulky that wouldn't be comfortable to sit or lay on (though perhaps in a world where those things couldn't be made super comfortably that would change), athletic wear in particular doesn't lend itself well to buttons due to the flexibility of the material so those are out there...

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
What exactly do you imagine those magnetic bits would look like? There are various ways to go about it.

I think it's just a complicated question because there are so many different factors one needs to take into account. Most anthros have fur so velcro would get tangled easily and not be ideal, a lot of people lounge/sleep in athletic-style clothing or underwear so nothing too bulky that wouldn't be comfortable to sit or lay on (though perhaps in a world where those things couldn't be made super comfortably that would change), athletic wear in particular doesn't lend itself well to buttons due to the flexibility of the material so those are out there...
I was thinking something like a flexible magnetic band sown into a lining like elastic bands are for underwear. I have also seen mosquito doors that use a similar principle, a magnetic lining that is strong enough to secure it in place but easy enough to open or separate when needed. Buttons or zippers seems impractical for tail and wing openings but this seems like a more plausible approach in my opinion.

Ziggy Schlacht

I'm not sure I understand the magnets. A button isn't hard to put in, and stays a lot more closed than a magnet. Any cost effective magnet isn't going to have the the "stick" needed to be a secure fastening. They also have the exact same size issues as buttons, they're hard. If they worked, we'd have far more magnets on our clothing now.

If a fixed hole doesn't work, it would stretch. If it can't stretch, it would be a button or a snap. If you can't use a button or snap, it would be a tie. No need for complicated, that costs money.

FWIW - Beaststars actually addresses this, and basically pants are sold without tail holes, and folks just cut/tailor them themselves.

fsendventd

If a fixed hole doesn't work, it would stretch. If it can't stretch, it would be a button or a snap. If you can't use a button or snap, it would be a tie. No need for complicated, that costs money.
I guess I'm figuring for reptiles, whose tails may just not be flexible enough for it to work without a fastener even with stretch. Buttons and snaps have always irritated the heck out of me even through multiple layers of clothing so I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be for something worn directly against the body, and a tie just seems... kinda wrong, I guess. You just have a string through that section of the waistband instead of any proper supporting material.

Ziggy Schlacht

I guess I'm figuring for reptiles, whose tails may just not be flexible enough for it to work without a fastener even with stretch. Buttons and snaps have always irritated the heck out of me even through multiple layers of clothing so I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be for something worn directly against the body, and a tie just seems... kinda wrong, I guess. You just have a string through that section of the waistband instead of any proper supporting material.

That irritation isn't widespread. Most people don't notice them, and would notice them less with fur. Magnets wouldn't make this go away either - they're hard. A tie, for clunky, inflexible tails is still the best if you don't want velcro or anything rigid.

fsendventd

That irritation isn't widespread. Most people don't notice them, and would notice them less with fur. Magnets wouldn't make this go away either - they're hard. A tie, for clunky, inflexible tails is still the best if you don't want velcro or anything rigid.
I figure that with the right design you could probably pad out the magnets somewhat, though it could end up getting bulky. Right now I'm mostly thinking buttons for species with thicker fur and velcro for species without fur, since the downsides of each are mostly negated in those cases. I feel like the magnets have their place somewhere, I just don't know what that place is.

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
I figure that with the right design you could probably pad out the magnets somewhat, though it could end up getting bulky. Right now I'm mostly thinking buttons for species with thicker fur and velcro for species without fur, since the downsides of each are mostly negated in those cases. I feel like the magnets have their place somewhere, I just don't know what that place is.
hmm... in a cyberpunk setting? a magnetic seal body suit? instead of a zipper?

MischievousPooka

Artist, cosplayer, and of course a furry
Drop-Seat Pajamas uses buttons, Velcro, or snaps on the back butt area and people seem to sleep fine with those on. And I am used to dealing with buttons or zippers on the back area since a lot of women dresses have them going down the back and ending at the butt. So seeing buttons or velcro on the back of pants or even underwear would not bother me and I don't think would feel that uncomfortable. And a bow tie string would work too. So many times I had to tie a bow on the back of my dress above the the butt and had no problem leaning against it when I am sitting in a chair. A lot of women clothing can probably be used to figure out how to make clothes for tails. Also look how low some backless dresses go. People can probably design some jumpsuits like the backless dresses for furries with tails and wings.

Attachments

• backlessdress.jpg
    backlessdress.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 21

fsendventd

Drop-Seat Pajamas uses buttons, Velcro, or snaps on the back butt area and people seem to sleep fine with those on. And I am used to dealing with buttons or zippers on the back area since a lot of women dresses have them going down the back and ending at the butt. So seeing buttons or velcro on the back of pants or even underwear would not bother me and I don't think would feel that uncomfortable. And a bow tie string would work too. So many times I had to tie a bow on the back of my dress above the the butt and had no problem leaning against it when I am sitting in a chair. A lot of women clothing can probably be used to figure out how to make clothes for tails. Also look how low some backless dresses go. People can probably design some jumpsuits like the backless dresses for furries with tails and wings.
That's fair. At the moment I'm thinking that both velcro and buttons would work depending on the preferences of the wearer, velcro perhaps in addition to a string tie to reduce the chances of it coming undone. (Would vary depending on the exact use case of course.) There would probably be variations on a couple basic designs to suit different people, personally I know I'm incredibly sensitive to buttons and strings and would probably need some sort of variation on the velcro with additional fabric to keep the sort of plastic-y edges from rubbing anywhere.

Yastreb

One idea i had was that things like dresses or kilts that don’t have pant legs would be more popular with characters with big tails
This. Unless the anthros have only recently appeared in the setting, the entire culture would have been shaped by them. Dresses, skirts and kilts would probably be quite common for both genders.

On a different note, what do you people think digitigrade shoes would be like?

Ziggy Schlacht

This. Unless the anthros have only recently appeared in the setting, the entire culture would have been shaped by them. Dresses, skirts and kilts would probably be quite common for both genders.

On a different note, what do you people think digitigrade shoes would be like?
I think a better question is do you need them? Most species will have fur, so you won't necessarily need to keep your feet warm*. Dogs walk fine on concrete, so you may not need them to protect the bottoms of your feet. You'd still want them for cold, bad conditions, or hot concrete. To that end, I'm betting sandals or dog booty type things. If you're not relying on the shoes for support, they can be relatively loose.

Now the fun part comes in dealing with non-retractable claws. On dogs, they're small, so you clip them and make them smooth. You mean need caps for lizard type folks, who could only file them down so much.

*Beaststars actually touches on this, with most species complaining about what we'd consider pleasant weather. This society would probably see less clothing by default.

Yastreb

I think a better question is do you need them? Most species will have fur, so you won't necessarily need to keep your feet warm*. Dogs walk fine on concrete, so you may not need them to protect the bottoms of your feet. You'd still want them for cold, bad conditions, or hot concrete. To that end, I'm betting sandals or dog booty type things. If you're not relying on the shoes for support, they can be relatively loose.

Now the fun part comes in dealing with non-retractable claws. On dogs, they're small, so you clip them and make them smooth. You mean need caps for lizard type folks, who could only file them down so much.

*Beaststars actually touches on this, with most species complaining about what we'd consider pleasant weather. This society would probably see less clothing by default.
Needing and wanting are two different things. We don't know exactly when footwear was invented, but before that people obivously survived just fine without. Despite this we still wear shoes almost invariably when not indoors. I imagine anthros would likewise want to cover their feet even if it was not necessary, for not having to watch out for sharp rocks, broken glass, stinging insects and such when walking.

TemetNosce88

So long, good luck, goodbye.
Needing and wanting are two different things. We don't know exactly when footwear was invented, but before that people obivously survived just fine without. Despite this we still wear shoes almost invariably when not indoors. I imagine anthros would likewise want to cover their feet even if it was not necessary, for not having to watch out for sharp rocks, broken glass, stinging insects and such when walking.
This is actually one of the reasons I just went with hooved characters. Eliminates that problem altogether, plus I just don't like feet and don't have to draw them this way.

I *do* spend a lot of time thinking about how hats and other headwear would work for species with tall ears or horns. All I've come up with so far is that they would probably wear a lot of visors without tops.

D

Deleted member 111470

Rimna is a monkey so his tail is thin and he can move it around freely, so he doesn't need too much space in his trousers to fit it through. He can also wrap it around his waist, like Vegeta does in DBZ.

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
I'd like to see more characters in suits. There's just something about a well-tailored suit that looks right.

More seriously, my character has to modified suits since he has a larger frame that other characters in the settings I use him in, mostly role-playing campaigns. I usually make jokes him needed a good tailor since I'm tall in real life and I always need to my suits taken in a bit to fit right.