• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Coffee so Privileged

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
So the CEO of Starbucks, Howard Schultz, recently had the interesting idea of having their employees write "Race Together" on customers cups so that they can start a dialogue about race relations with them. It was seen as a bit of a goofy decision by some and an opportunistic move in the wake of situations such as the Ferguson shootings/riots by others.

I dunno though...seems like the idea had a nice enough message behind it. I think a lot of people thought it was pointless to talk about such a thing in a coffee shop, but then again not a whole ton of people who go to those places are poor. And it's no secret minorities are somewhat more disadvantaged in the job dept as opposed to Straight Christian Whites. So it's no surprise their base wouldn't like to chat about their privilege.

What are your thoughts, FAF? Was this a move with good intentions or did the tumblr sjw's just invade your coffee shop?

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
I think that it's on par with the people selling protest shirts at Occupy Wall Street.

It's basically using racial dialogue and social justice as a marketing scheme.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
There's nothing wrong with it but its rather discomforting. I don't like getting into such serious topics when all I'm going to a coffee shop for is to relax. Positive messages are good, but such can also lead to arguments and all manner of things. Honestly don't like this decision.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
What's so bad about trying to help racial relations? I am all for fighting ignorance and bigotry.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
"You want your coffee black?"

"No, I don't like black coffee."

"RACIST SHITLORD!"

Volkodav

Dad****er
If "Ferguson" is the topic they're trying to compare with racial injustice, I won't even walk in that coffee shop.
The bullshit in Ferguson is so far from being a race issue it's not even funny.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
So a cop shot an unarmed child and got away with it, and as a response, Everyone began looting and setting shit on fire. The whole situation is fucked up, racial or not.

Volkodav

Dad****er
It's funny and cute how you think that's how it went hahah

Yup
No coffee for me. Don't like coffee anyways

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
So a cop shot an unarmed child and got away with it, and as a response, Everyone began looting and setting shit on fire. The whole situation is fucked up, racial or not.

Also the institutional racism that they used to fund so much stuff there definitely makes it a race issue. I wish people woulda talked more about the police militarization too.

It's funny and cute how you think that's how it went hahah

Yup
No coffee for me. Don't like coffee anyways

:p She hasn't said anything incorrect though. And what blasphemy!! Coffee is the nectar of the gods. <3 <3

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
None of you would like to hear what my family has to say concerning Ferguson.

But coffee is still good.

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
I think that it's on par with the people selling protest shirts at Occupy Wall Street.

It's basically using racial dialogue and social justice as a marketing scheme.

I'm guessing students are a large demographic of Mr Schultz's business customers?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I'm guessing students are a large demographic of Mr Schultz's business customers?

A fair amount at least. (I used to work for that chain. >////<) It's a place for snobs tbh.

Khaki

AFP's Most Unwanted
A fair amount at least. (I used to work for that chain. >////<) It's a place for snobs tbh.

This summarises everything, Mr Schultz is just trying to benefit from his buyers by trying to advertise a similar mind set of his customers.

It's a bit half arsed mind you.

Luki

Hmm, Starbucks. What I'd give to go to a place like that.

As a coffee lover, I'd assume it'd be nigh paradisiac.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
Hmm, Starbucks. What I'd give to go to a place like that.

As a coffee lover, I'd assume it'd be nigh paradisiac.

You can't seriously not have Starbucks! Isn't your area like... Major coffie lovers? Or is it because coffie standards are high there?
Starbucks have good intentions, nothing wrong with it.

Luki

You can't seriously not have Starbucks! Isn't your area like... Major coffie lovers? Or is it because coffie standards are high there?
Starbucks have good intentions, nothing wrong with it.
This thread reminded me to pay a visit to one next time I go to the big city.

It's just that the area I live in doesn't have much of anything ;p

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
When I went to DC recently, where the people running the Starbucks there appeared to be primarily African American, seemed to never give two shits about the #racetogether thing.

In contrast, I hear a lot of reports of an overwhelming use of #racetogether where I live, which is near a few liberal arts colleges. The people who usually work at those Starbucks are Caucasian college students.

Strange.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
This thread reminded me to pay a visit to one next time I go to the big city.

It's just that the area I live in doesn't have much of anything ;p

Meh don't bother they aren't worth the money. Its kinda cheap to be honest, not a huge fan on star bucks...then again America's version of star bucks might be different.

I haven't heard much about the #racetogether over here, i don't think its going to start over here. I dunno yet but i don't think a lot of people here want that on their coffee.

Red_Lion _

I don't go to Starbucks, I usually make my own coffee and bring it with me or get it from a local cafe where I sometimes stop for breakfast with my friends. If I did go there I wouldn't care what they were doing as long as nobody pestered me while I was trying to drink my coffee.

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Also the institutional racism that they used to fund so much stuff there definitely makes it a race issue. I wish people woulda talked more about the police militarization too.

Institutional racism...ohh God, you believe that bullshit that Sharpton and the Left is telling you? Please, I don't buy "institutional racism" at all, and I don't get why those people decided to protest the death of a thug. The people in Ferguson sent race relations back 10 years by their actions and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing it. I've always been of the opinion that Mike Brown deserved to get shot because he decided he was going to break the law and not heed the warnings of the police. Trayvon Martin, well he shouldn't have been wearing a hood over his head and attacked a guy with a gun; it is what it is and I have no compassion for either of them.

I'm sick and tired of excuses being made for these thugs and criminals just because they got gunned down by the police and I'm sick of people acting like the police are evil. I've never had a problem w/ the police and all the times I've been stopped, its been for valid reasons. You don't want to be shot by 5-O? Don't break the rules, don't act like a thug, learn some fucking manners and act like you have some home training. It's pretty simple, yet people can't even do that right for some reason.

Anyway, race is a tricky topic and this country isn't mature enough to talk about it. I say we wait until the old folks die off and then we can have that much needed national conversation about race.