• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

College....?

shieldswulf

errr...yea...its me again...

i was curious. ive been thinking of going to college. i was planing on either art, computers or law enforcement...anyways...i was curious...does anyone have any information on some colleges were there might be some furries and one of the three trades i talked about earlier...not sure if i said this the right way...hehe...gotta love getting nercous trying to talk :oops:

Im getting there....may be shy now but im working on it...

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Any sufficiently large university will have furries. If you get a large enough school, they usually have a mailing list or something.

LobaHuskita

oh no....OH NO! D:
maybe, have you tried using facebook? it's a good way to meet people from your college online and there are a few furry groups there too. but the groups aren't that active for some reason.....

*sighs* man, so far i have yet to meet another furry from my college online or even in the city! besides my brother.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
http://www.google.com/search?q=furry%20college&sa=N&tab=zw

opalance

Arshes Nei said:
http://www.google.com/search?q=furry%20college&sa=N&tab=zw

Behold the power of Google.

horrordoll

if your biggest concern with college is whether other furries will be there, I think you have your priorities out of order.

Iron-Wolf

If you're looking for fellow furs, I implore you. Avoid Valley Forge Military Academy at all costs. I am the ONLY fur in the entire campus. But otherwise it's a great school... if you intend on a military or law enforcement career.

Leahtaur

No visible furries at my former art school, just emo kids and punks who wore ripped clothes from the thrift store. ;)

Horrordoll has a point though. Choose your school first, look for furries second. o_O

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
horrordoll said:
if your biggest concern with college is whether other furries will be there, I think you have your priorities out of order.

Considering how much a loan for college is these days... agreed. I mean who is going around asking "Are there any trekkies at this college, or fellow otaku?"

I would think education first maybe?

I got to Texas A&M University in Brian/College Station, Texas. I am new to furries but I'm trying to find them and sniff them out. I'm having one heck of a time though. Anyhelp would be appreciated. I would not suggest A&M for law enforcement.

The Coyote

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
I've heard rumors that there are furries at my school, but Google fails me and it's not that important to me.

(UMBC, on the off chance that anyone knows of any...)

But yes. Don't choose a school because it does or doesn't have furries. As I said, any sufficiently large one will have them.

greg-the-fox

Arshes Nei said:
horrordoll said:

Considering how much a loan for college is these days... agreed. I mean who is going around asking "Are there any trekkies at this college, or fellow otaku?"

I would think education first maybe?

Yeah, I'd think it would be one of the last things I'd take into consideration in choosing a college.

Kyrre

Here's my sales pitch.

Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, is one of the fastest growing universities in the state of Ohio. Though relatively new, just celebrated it's 40th anniversary, the university boasts making a cameo in the NCAA tournament just last season and is home to the national championship winners in college hockey in its division, the Raiders. The university is also noted for being home to the most succesful Model United Nations team in the entire country, is ranked second in the country for being the most accessable for disabled students, and is among some of the few universities that regularly offers courses on GLBT studies. But that's not what you want to know... you want to know about the furry stuff. XD

I started attending WSU in 2002, and in the past 5 years I've met probably... 12 furries. I wasn't looking for them either, they just sort of... appeared. Though, 3 just graduated last spring... but I'm sure we'll have more this Fall. There's a very active anime group on campus that these two cute bunny girls go to, and the rest I've met in other various situations. It's not hard to find them though, because Dayton's a big city with a very diverse crowd. If you looked hard enough, you'd fine plenty, I'm sure.

Now onto your preferences for careers! Wright State has one of the nicest art programs in the state. Through the university, you can earn yourself a reputation in the very large art community in Dayton, or you could commute to Columbus or Cincinatti with their own prestigious communities. In addition, the university is affiliated with the Wright-Patt Air Force Base, where you could apply for military or police training. The campus also has its own police unit and regularly hires students onto the staff. In the ways of computer-related fields, WSU has just completed the $5 million addition to it's Russ Engineering building last year, placing the university ahead in the cutthroat competition for computer engineer training. The Joshi Center is designed with interactive classrooms where students actually work with companies and the government while they earn their degree. I think there's some statistic like 85% of WSU's graduates in the computer engineering field get hired within a year after they graduate... which is ridiculously high, but it says something about the training you could get here I suppose.

Soooo yeah, I bragged about my home. Heh, can you tell I'm proud of it? I should go into marketing. ;P

horrordoll

Kyrre said:
Though relatively new, just celebrated it's 40th anniversary, the university boasts making a cameo in the NCAA tournament just last season and is home to the national championship winners in college hockey in its division, the Raiders.

ah, but MY college has a hockey team called the Nads so that we can say "go nads!" And our mascot is named Scrotie:

pic10119.jpg

We never win shit, but can you beat that?! :>

16weeks

DON'T DO LAW ENFORCEMENT!! IT TURNS YOU EVIL!!
but i'm starting college this year too. doing english, wanna be a writer.

J

Jelly

Kyrre said:
RAAA RAA WSU

They also have a pretty decent anthropology program, and run a Fort Ancient fieldschool every Summer.

LIKE YOU CARE. .0001% of the work force.

Kyrre said:
I started attending WSU in 2002, and in the past 5 years I've met probably... 12 furries. I wasn't looking for them either, they just sort of... appeared. Though, 3 just graduated last spring... but I'm sure we'll have more this Fall. There's a very active anime group on campus that these two cute bunny girls go to, and the rest I've met in other various situations. It's not hard to find them though, because Dayton's a big city with a very diverse crowd. If you looked hard enough, you'd fine plenty, I'm sure.

I know there's a Dayton area fur ring, I've been meanign to get to a movie night but I alwyas seem to be working those days. Now that I know there's a nice little fur population at Write State I might look into school there, mostly buisness. This last spring I graduated from the CIA (culinary institute of america) up in Hyde Park NY with my AOS in culinary and I'm looking to head back this winter for my BPS. I didn't know any furs at the school but I've talked to a couple from the area, unfortuantly mostly AFTER I left the area. I often wondered if ther were other furs there but it's a rather small college, a few thousand at most, but I often considered looking at the ALLIENCE meets, its the gay/alternative lufestyle club and furry is about as alternative as you can get.

sunshyne

MacroKaiju said:
Kyrre said:

I know there's a Dayton area fur ring, I've been meanign to get to a movie night but I alwyas seem to be working those days. Now that I know there's a nice little fur population at Write State I might look into school there, mostly buisness. This last spring I graduated from the CIA (culinary institute of america) up in Hyde Park NY with my AOS in culinary and I'm looking to head back this winter for my BPS. I didn't know any furs at the school but I've talked to a couple from the area, unfortuantly mostly AFTER I left the area. I often wondered if ther were other furs there but it's a rather small college, a few thousand at most, but I often considered looking at the ALLIENCE meets, its the gay/alternative lufestyle club and furry is about as alternative as you can get.

Amen... I go to UD!

Term_the_Schmuck

Most Interesting Man on FAF
My advice is to not worry so much about how many furries are in the area and be more concerned about which college has the best program for your desired major. You can have all the furry friends in the world, but you won't do yourself any good by wasting thousands of dollars on a college that doesn't cater to your educational needs. Also, you shouldn't limit your attempts for friendship to just people who consider themselves furry. College is the first step to living in the real world and you should take that oppertunity to talk to new people. You're going to have to do that anyway because just because there could be furries at your school, that doesn't mean they have the same major as you. Working with people that have your major and take the same classes as you can really help you out in the long run when it comes to studying for a test or needing someone to proof-read a paper you wrote, not to mention just having someone to go grab a bite to eat with. You'll be amazed at the kinds of people you'll meet in college. You'll be glad you didn't just stick with people who you may consider just like you.