• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Come all come all, you won't believe your eyes! (56k? No!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADF

Ladies & gentlemen, have I got a tale for you.

It is a tale epic failure, a tale of a company called Bethesda Softworks.

First to understand why this is epic failure, you need to know Oblivion's recommended system requirements.

3ghz Intel Pentium 4
1GB Ram
Nvidia GForce 6800

Take note of these recommended system requirements, knowing the game actually required far higher. Now feast your eyes on the system requirements of Fallout 3.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2 GB System RAM
512mb NVIDIA 8800 series

Now let that settle in your mind for a moment; then consider the following.

Fallout 3, just like Oblivion, was developed for the Xbox 360 specification using the same engine. Both games were designed for the same specification, yet Fallout 3 has somehow dramatically higher system requirements on PC.

The recommended CPU for Fallout 3 is not only far more powerful than Oblivions, but also recommends twice as many cores.

The Xbox 360 memory amount has remained exactly the same since Oblivion, yet Fallout 3 recommends twice as much ram as Oblivion.

The recommended GPU for Fallout 3 is two generations ahead of the one recommended for Oblivion, despite the 360s GPU remaining the same.

And for all this extra hardware power, what does it get you?

obliv30B.jpg

screen41B.jpg

screen35B.jpg

obliv29B.jpg

Pretty much the same quality graphics applied to a differen't setting, in other words nothing; Bethesda's shitty programming has struck again! Though I have to say they have really outdone themselves this time, it must of taken next to no care for the PC version to bloat the recommended requirements that much.

The minimum requirements are actually very close to Oblivions recommended!

Windows XP/Vista
1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)

How does someone manage to optimise a game this badly? You can run superior looking games like Mass Effect and Crysis with their recommended specification. If past TES games are any indication, god knows what system requirements it will take to run this game well at max settings.

In other news the Xbox 360 audience Bethesda have chosen to cater for over their decade+ PC audience; are currently pirating the console version to hell.

Have fun Bethesda.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Well for one, there upping the specs to what you should be using in Oblivion anyway.

Two, those are for Vista.

Three, There is actually a massive difference in the games. They have gore for one, they are using projectiles that are a lot different than arrows and many of them. There are Nukes. Nukes tend to take a lot of processing.

Four, the xbox 360 version will not look nearly as good as the PC version.

ADF

Well for one, there upping the specs to what you should be using in Oblivion anyway.

Three, There is actually a massive difference in the games. They have gore for one, they are using projectiles that are a lot different than arrows and many of them. There are Nukes. Nukes tend to take a lot of processing.

1) Oblivion doesn't require anything like this to be maxed, sure it will run better but Fallout 3s recommended specs are way above what is needed to play Oblivion well.

2) No they are not, check any website and the recommended specs make no mention of what OS they are intended for.

3) The things you listed are not hardware intensive, even if they were they wouldn't need a GPU two generations ahead of what Oblivion recommended. The specification they developed this game on is the exact same specification they used for Oblivion, the Xbox 360.

4) Bethesda is a console orientated company now, the PC version will be a direct cut and paste of the Xbox version. If you are expecting any significant improvements over the console version you are in for a disappointment.

Teco

Informal Formalist
It'll probably work fine without said requirements. For the console you dont have the whole -low graphics to the best graphical setting-, you just have one. While computers have that option. So those requirements are probably either the highest quality graphics. Those pictures might also be from an unpolished version of the game, so you cant really be sure the graphics will be better. And from the looks of it there alot more elements putting strain on your computer in Fallout such as faces being blown off. I wouldnt worry too much, just as long as your computer can play it. Graphics are just whip cream on the sundae. It shouldnt be the reason you hate or loathe something. Plus there might be patches that will make things more forgiving.

KrazFabbit

Well, with the fact that the crapbox version is being pirated, and the fact that they apparently don't want the majority of computer gamers to be able to run this game... maybe this will be the nail in the coffin that kills Beth? One can only hope of course..

Werevixen

This is my new rapeface.
I can see the difference. Can't you?

Also, "onoez, graffix r nut SUPRHI-PWRED! I R GFXXX HOORE".

There's enough things that can up a hardware requirement other than god-damn graphics.

ADF

I can see the difference. Can't you?

Also, "onoez, graffix r nut SUPRHI-PWRED! I R GFXXX HOORE".
Wait to go for completely missing the point, I'm criticising the requirements for these graphics; not the graphics themselves.

As for the improvements... depth of field in the character shot? Either way I don't see any graphical differences that justifies such a significant leap in the hardware requirements. There is more object junk in the Fallout 3 shot, but that is most likely just reapplying all the polys saved from the lack of foliage.

Do you honestly see anything in those shots that recommends a freaking 8800? We're talking about a GPU that powers games like this. They got the exact same graphics to run on the dated 360 GPU, but they need a piece of hardware with twice as much memory and more than double the number of shaders to do the same thing on PC? This goes beyond simple utilisation differences, this is just not giving a fuck.

There's enough things that can up a hardware requirement other than god-damn graphics.
Obviously, but I just don't see where the extra GB of ram and the dual core conroe is going. I seriously doubt the ability to blow off limbs increased the requirements that much.

Either way Bethesda's lack of care is going to severely limit their audience on PC. Also seeing how the 360 version is being downloaded by people as we speak, seems Fallout 3 won't have anywhere near the success of Oblivion.

Last edited:
I see a massive difference in the quality of shading and depth. The extra power is needed to run particle effects and intense lighting that Fallout 3 will use. Not to mention much better AI, bullet trajectory and an incredibly realistic rag doll system.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
the only difference I can really see is that Oblivion actually has something called "Colour" whereas Fallout 3 looks more like the modern "Realism" Trend which is to create a world where the primary colours are brown, gray, more brown, dark gray, and crimson.

lilEmber

Small Dragon
Yea that's another thing, particle effects, shader quality, also the game isn't even out yet so you're comparing a screenshot that might as well be the lowest setting, witch looks much like it to me after seeing some of the gameplay on console.

Yes, for god sakes yes, there is a MASSIVE difference between the console version and the PC version. Just like Oblivion. Also the engine isn't the exact same. Explosions, heat waves, dust, bullet holes, etc do take more processing as does every round, shell, animation, etc...

I -HIGHLY- doubt you know anything about what makes a game performance become impacted with what you're saying. Oblivion doesn't even look that good, it was all the bloom mostly, this game looks much, much better, even the physics.

These games might run off the same core engine, but nothing will be the same. They've modified it heavily and to run Oblivion on "max" the recommended will not do it.

Also Oblivion was more developed for DX9 (duh) and windows XP, this game is designed for DX10 and windows vista. So those specs -are- for vista. The Oblivion ones -are- for xp.

ADF

Yea that's another thing, particle effects, shader quality, also the game isn't even out yet so you're comparing a screenshot that might as well be the lowest setting, witch looks much like it to me after seeing some of the gameplay on console.

Yes, for god sakes yes, there is a MASSIVE difference between the console version and the PC version. Just like Oblivion. Also the engine isn't the exact same. Explosions, heat waves, dust, bullet holes, etc do take more processing as does every round, shell, animation, etc...

I -HIGHLY- doubt you know anything about what makes a game performance become impacted with what you're saying. Oblivion doesn't even look that good, it was all the bloom mostly, this game looks much, much better, even the physics.

These games might run off the same core engine, but nothing will be the same. They've modified it heavily and to run Oblivion on "max" the recommended will not do it.

Also Oblivion was more developed for DX9 (duh) and windows XP, this game is designed for DX10 and windows vista. So those specs -are- for vista. The Oblivion ones -are- for xp.

The PC version of Oblivion was identical to the 360 version, it was a direct cut and past port, right down to the god awful facial textures and scaled tabular interface. The only difference comparison screenshots could find was extra draw distance on grass, which is hardly anything to suggest the PC version got extra care since anyone can adjust that variable.

Fallout 3 is in the exact same boat, it is typical lazy Bethesda making the game on consoles then slapping an identical copy on PC. Every single game play video is done on a console, showing the PC version is getting just as much attention as Oblivion did.

That you even suggest that there is a massive difference between the platforms versions, even to go as far as to suggest those screenshots were on low, tells me this is hopeful thinking on your part rather than factual. You even bring up DirectX 10, how much do you actually know about the PC version of Fallout 3?

Comparing screenshots of animated and interactive applications. Yes, grand, brilliant idea.
Not sure what you meant by this, all those screenshots are in game (assuming Bethesda isn't pulling some bullshits). Either way go watch some game play videos if you want to see it in action, again I am not suggestings there are no improvements; only that the system requirements do not reflect these improvements.

Last edited:

TheGreatCrusader

Avast, Ye Scurvy Dogs!

Oh, wow.

1. http://www.oblivionportal.com/info/systemreq.php
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/09/fallout-3-goes-gold-pc-requirements-detailed/

Take a look at that. They were upped slightly, and it does take more processing power to to something like this compared to Oblivion. Bullet holes, bullet trajectories, gore (When the body parts explode when using the VATS system), dust, partical effects... These things weren't in Oblivion. That, and you'll be facing multiple foes in Fallout 3. Most of Oblivion was 1-on-1 battles, while Fallout 3 consists of gun fights where you're fighting a few opponents.

That, and it is a MODIFIED version of the engine. It really isn't the same because it is so heavily modified. It's like the Source Engine in Half Life 2 and the Source Engine in L4D, it is the same engine, but it has evolved over-time and very little resembles what it originally was.

2. The graphics of Oblivion to not compare to the graphics of Fallout 3. They are very different. For one, the textures are of a much higher res, and textures aren't reused as much as they were in Oblivion. If you remember in Oblivion, you were seeing the same low res textures over and over again. In Fallout 3, there is more variations in the texture and the textures are of a res that Oblivion couldn't have because of either engine limitations or hardware limitations.

3. It hasn't been revealed if or not Fallout 3 will use DirectX 10 or not. It was certainly not designed for it, since the overwhelming majority of people that will play it on the PC will only be playing it in DirectX 9.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Well, with the fact that the crapbox version is being pirated, and the fact that they apparently don't want the majority of computer gamers to be able to run this game... maybe this will be the nail in the coffin that kills Beth? One can only hope of course..

My, what a -stunning- show of logic and mature thinking. It's rare I see so much failure in one post, but you dear sure have raised or lowered the bar. Let's see, we have childish Xbox bashing with memes and typical spoiled brat wishing for the death of a developer.

Carry on people. carry on.

Werevixen

This is my new rapeface.
I seriously doubt the ability to blow off limbs increased the requirements that much.

Either you're being sarcastic, which would kind of mean you agree with me, which means you wouldn't try to counter-argue so much... or you weren't, and...

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: Yes, it requires an entire engine work over for one, which is why they didn't release it several months after Oblivion. It requires significantly more processing power.

EDIT2: When I say significantly, I mean a giant fuckload.

Last edited:

Teco

Informal Formalist
Lets not forget that you'll be able to get mods for the computer, creating a pretty good amount of content that the console will never see.

ADF

Lets not forget that you'll be able to get mods for the computer, creating a pretty good amount of content that the console will never see.

Betheda announced a while back there would be no modding tools for Fallout 3 at release, whether they choose to release them later is anyone's guess.

Either you're being sarcastic, which would kind of mean you agree with me, which means you wouldn't try to counter-argue so much... or you weren't, and...

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: Yes, it requires an entire engine work over for one, which is why they didn't release it several months after Oblivion. It requires significantly more processing power.

EDIT2: When I say significantly, I mean a giant fuckload.

Read what I have said several times now.

Does the additional stuff in the game justify the system requirements? The answer is clearly no, no amount of improvements over Oblivion can possibly justify recommending an 8800 for a console port. This game is going to be a carbon copy of the 360 version, the only way the requirements could become this bloated is if Bethesda didn't give a crap about the PC version.

Utilisation differences always result in higher system requirements on PC, but this is ridicules. No console port should recommend more than a mainstream GPU like the 9600GT, PC enhanced ports like Gears of War and Mass Effect have lower requirements/better visuals than this game.

ADF

I seriously hope that you're joking.
Rather than overdramatize your reaction; how about explaining what you mean?

Explain why it is apparently unreasonable to expect a game developed for three year old hardware to not require recent technology to run on PC, just like the vast majority of 360 to PC ports out there? Why it is unreasonable to question these system requirements when there are better looking games with lower requirements?

psion

Not to mention that there is a noticable improvement in character details AND the stone and wood textures, between the two games. I mean look at the Fighters' Guild Porter then look at "Jericho." Jericho's not bald man, you can see the stubble where his hair's growing back; try getting that in Oblivion even on the highest settings. There's also a small bump in detail between the matted rag the Porter calls hair and the hairs on Jericho's beard.
Then we have the wood and stone, which I swear looks like actual concrete and pressure-treated lumber. They could have just ported the textures over from Oblivion but they tried to capture the look of modern materials instead.

TheGreatCrusader

Avast, Ye Scurvy Dogs!
Rather than overdramatize your reaction; how about explaining what you mean?

Explain why it is apparently unreasonable to expect a game developed for three year old hardware to not require recent technology to run on PC, just like the vast majority of 360 to PC ports out there? Why it is unreasonable to question these system requirements when there are better looking games with lower requirements?
Read all of our responses through and you'll find why. All of the new features in Fallout 3 require more processing power. All of it. And, you falsely listed the requirements for both.

Oh, wow.
http://www.oblivionportal.com/info/systemreq.php
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/09/fallout-3-goes-gold-pc-requirements-detailed/

Take a look at that. They were upped slightly, and it does take more processing power to to something like this compared to Oblivion. Bullet holes, bullet trajectories, gore (When the body parts explode when using the VATS system), dust, partical effects... These things weren't in Oblivion. That, and you'll be facing multiple foes in Fallout 3. Most of Oblivion was 1-on-1 battles, while Fallout 3 consists of gun fights where you're fighting a few opponents.

That, and it is a MODIFIED version of the engine. It really isn't the same because it is so heavily modified. It's like the Source Engine in Half Life 2 and the Source Engine in L4D, it is the same engine, but it has evolved over-time and very little resembles what it originally was.

The graphics of Oblivion to not compare to the graphics of Fallout 3. They are very different. For one, the textures are of a much higher res, and textures aren't reused as much as they were in Oblivion. If you remember in Oblivion, you were seeing the same low res textures over and over again. In Fallout 3, there is more variations in the texture and the textures are of a res that Oblivion couldn't have because of either engine limitations or hardware limitations.

It hasn't been revealed if or not Fallout 3 will use DirectX 10 or not. It was certainly not designed for it, since the overwhelming majority of people that will play it on the PC will only be playing it in DirectX 9.

ADF

Read all of our responses through and you'll find why. All of the new features in Fallout 3 require more processing power. All of it. And, you falsely listed the requirements for both.
Irrelevant, an increase in system requirements is not being debated, that the increase was so significant is what draw my criticism. What I find remarkable is some people actually sound like they think these requirements as justified. None of the improvements in Fallout 3 justify those system requirements, especially considering they are running an identical version on the 360, it's lazy optimisation on Bethesda's part.

And I did not falsely list requirements for both games, Oblivions requirements came directly from the back of the copy I own. Fallout 3s were taken from a gaming discussion board and confirmed by the duplication of identical requirements from various other news sources.

TheGreatCrusader

Avast, Ye Scurvy Dogs!
The game came out 3 years ago. I think a change is justified, especially since a lot of games now require systems that are much more powerful than what Fallout 3 is asking for. Just look at Bioshock, and that came out more than a year ago. That, and the engine that was Oblivion's was /very/ heavily modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.