• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Comic Book Thread

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
So, I started buying comic books a couple of months back and I just thought I'd try nerding out a little and creating a general comic-book discussion thread.

It started with the animated cartoons by DC, Batman, Teen Titans and Justice League. I started watching them again last summer and I thought "these cartoons are mighty fun, i wonder what the original comics are like". So I did a little research, and discovered that a mere two months after I decided I'd try buying comics, DC would launch its "New 52" line of comics, at the same time as "Digital Day & Date Release" (a boon for me considering there aren't exactly a fuckton of comic book stores in my country) so I just thought "this is too good a coincidence to pass up, let's do this".

So I brought the number ones for various comics (since I had no knowledge of the "scene" I picked series depending on my appreciation of their cartoon-counterparts rather than depending on the drawer/writer) ... as things stand, I'm probably gonna stick with the seventeen I've brought 'til now (because that's still a lot of money as far as monthly investments go).

I've got :
-Action and Detective Comics (the two classics, or so I understand)
-Justice League, Captain Atom and DC Universe Presents : Deadman (cartoon loyalty to Justice League Unlimited, if you read the above paragraph)
- Deathstroke the Terminator, Teen Titans and Red Hood & The Outlaws (because of Teen titans)
- Batman and Superman (obvious choices as well)
- Resurrection Man (because I own so many of Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40.000 books at this point there's no point in even trying)
- Justice League Dark (sounded fun what with the sorcery and all)
- Demon knights (because of Etrigan the demon, he was so cash in that Justice League Unlimited episode, and also because I was intrigued by the concept of superhero-type characters in a medieval environment)
- Suicide Squad and Justice League International (because I was intrigued too, this time by smaller, less featured in the cartoons characters forming coalitions)
- Grifter (this one is just because the covers were badass as fuck)
- And, to conclude, Men of War (because the concept of normal human soldiers tasked with fighting super powered foes as established by the synopsis made me really curious).

As you can tell I kinda like DC heroes better than Marvel characters at the moment, but who knows, maybe when I get more acquainted with the whole business and start valuing artists over characters I'll start migrating.

So, what else can I say ? Just, comic-book discussion.

Oh yeah, critics and impressions and stuff to get the conversation started : I thoroughly enjoyed everything I read, though if I had to choose I'd say Deathstroke and Resurrection Man where the ones I had the most fun reading, Justice League Dark #2 is the one I'm looking forwards to the most when I buy my next batch (this week-end, probably) and Teen Titans and Suicide Squad where the weakest links.

(oh and before I forget : I buy all the digital comic books at the same time 1 month after the month's last releases, so there's a 1$ discount on them, so no spoilers plz :B)

Last edited:

veeno

See ya latter ****ers.
I real liked the mass efect comics i wish they would make more.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I only have Watchmen.

General-jwj

I only have Watchmen.

Holy shit the thread lives ...

I have Watchmen and V for Vendetta too. Just so I can brag about reading the original works when people talk about the movies :p

(great comic books too)

EDIT : I also brought the number two's to most about half of my comics last week ... they're all still awesome.

veeno

See ya latter ****ers.
Yea i have the watchmen to.

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
Holy shit the thread lives ...

I have Watchmen and V for Vendetta too. Just so I can brag about reading the original works when people talk about the movies :p

(great comic books too)

EDIT : I also brought the number two's to most about half of my comics last week ... they're all still awesome.

I read the comic before the movie and still liked the movie, except:
The giant squid thing and the thousands of bloody dead bodies. That strip on the comic was gold. Shame they didn't put that in.

Last edited:

General-jwj

I may not be an expert on the subject, but wasn't the Comic-book's ending some kind of satyrical jab at some of the insane supervillain plots often found in older comics ? Or maybe some of the crazy top secret projects both the Americans and Russians attempted during the Cold War to gain the upper hand ? I don't know much about that but it's just what I thought when I read it.

Also : I agree they shoulda kept that ending in the movie. Nobody'd have taken it seriously but it would have been pure gold :V