• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Comical Writing for a Cosmic Story

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
So!

Once again, I am at it again. This muse is cooking up a new adventure on the spirit of Cosmic Fantasy. What the heck is a Cosmic Fantasy? Well it's sort of a category Perri cooked up. To quote her: "“Fantasy of a spiritual nature, providing insight into a wider possible universe or the ability of humanity to ascend to a higher state of being. Star Wars probably being the best known example. . . Cosmic Fantasy was any work of fiction that I found to be appealing to the cosmic nature of the soul – anything one could feel drawing the soul towards a wider universe than was visible to the mortal eye. This involved a lot of semi religious influenced works – anything that involved spiritual ascendance, life after death or reincarnation. Thus “Brother Bear” would be a major work of Cosmic Fantasy. And I know of no other genre that would put Brother Bear on the same shelf with Star Wars."

So what's important about this in relation to the topic? Well my latest and greatest (ok, maybe not greatest) item in the workshop is called "Cosmic Love (A Spiritual Fantasy)". The story follows the exploits of Niko Linni as he's ripped from his city life and placed in a fantasy world where he'll embark (unwillingly at first -- since when are people ever willing?) on a sort of physical and spiritual quest after being given an assignment of some entitiy calling itself the Spirit of Love; this quest being to learn all about it and how to apply it and use it to help and enlighten others. And yes, that includes ALL apsects of love, from love between friends to the intimacy shared between lovers.

So while it does have that underlying concept (and some other ideas as well), there is a plan to make some comedy moments in it as well.

The big question is...well...how do you do comedy writing? I mean, I've done bad puns and references to other things before, but um...welll...I'm rather inexperienced and new when it comes to creating comedy in a story. About the only thing I've got so far is that Niko, early on, meets Razzle, a sort of traveller who's a bit of a fast talker and loves making bad puns and references to whatever he can think of. The other is a "muse" who comes to Niko sometime later named Hollyann -- she's a pink bunny. Armed with her book the "Calma Sultra", she claims she's been sent to teach Niko about the more physical (and also emotional, to a degree) aspects of love making -- often selecting some absurd or odd idea out of her book. The comedy here being that some of these things are so odd that no one in their right mind but Holly would think it'd work (and then sometimes they do actually work).

So...any tips/suggestions? D:

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Comedy is tricky, but you know... in the end, it comes down to the same thing that all writing comes down to, which is that some people will find what you do funny and other people won't.
I made a post here some time ago in which I mentioned a study someone did on the origin of laughter, wherein they discovered that the main instigator of laughter wasn't actually 'humor' (which is vaguely defined) but was surprise, the unexpected. You know... if you see someone walking down the street, and all of the sudden they trip and fall, one of your first instincts is to laugh. And it's probably not because you're a sadist and like to see people get hurt: it's because you weren't expecting the guy to fall down.

But my sense of humor tends to be very dry, so I'm not one to be asking about how to do comedy. Like, I decided that my comedic story for NaNoWriMo this year starts with the main character complaining about life to a sea cucumber in a tank in a pet shop that he refers to as Paul. So... yeah. You can do absurdism, you can do actual jokes that have a setup and a payoff, you can break the fourth wall all the time, whatever you like. But the key element in making people laugh seems to be the unexpected.

Schwimmwagen

To give a little insight of my own, I've never really been able to tell jokes or intentionally cook up something to make someone laugh. I just do what I do or say what's on my mind and people find it funny. When I'm funny, I'm never trying to be funny. A lot of times, I don't even notice.

I am considered funny by others just by being.

It really is based on playing with people's expectations.