• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Coming Out: The Thread (Continued)

Echoshock

Well, it went fine. We made it thoroughly clear that wasn't going to mention it to anyone ever, which was my main concern. The only bad part was when she talked about taking me to a gay bar, ugh. I can't stand bar scenes, and the last thing I want is to be that guy who was taken to a gay bar by his fucking mom.

Besides that, it was okay.

Congrats! Wish I had the balls. Has your Mother ever been to a gay bar? Not really the sort of place you take your kids!

Rigby

Diaperfurs 4 Lyfe
I would be careful about going to those kinds of places. I was stupid and went alone and wound up getting felt up, down, and all around. The people in those places are so aggressive and strange. I decided to dance with one guy and he basically attacked my face the whole time. When things started going downhill I hightailed it out of there.

bars are gross and they always play crappy music. i dont see myself going to one anytime soon; gay, straight, bi, it doesnt matter

well, maybe a lesbian one, but only if they play exclusively riot grrrl or female punk rock.

siriuswolff

The Constellation of Creation
I'm bi and i'm still questioning my sexuality. I don't know i'm kinda torn. I want to tell people who i really am which is a psychedelics, furry, bi guy but people honestly treat you different when they find out. I don't understand why me telling them that would change how they feel. I mean 1 minute before i told someone they were happy and joking right after i opened up i could tell they were a little freaked. I mean my really close friends do have suspicions and i kinda like it that way. They never ask but i never deny it's kinda in limbo an unspoken understanding. I'm looking forward to the day when i can wear what i am proudly and not be discriminated against. Congrats to all of you who are out living happy i wish you the best!

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Huh... It's been almost two years since I realized my sexuality... It feels weird to think about what all has happened since then. I've really changed a lot...

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
I don't understand how people "realize" their sexuality. You like what you like. If it doesn't turn you on, you don't like it.

Kangamutt

Well, I finally came out to my mom. Went far better than I ever thought it could. While she did say that she disagrees with it, she also said that she knew there's no fighting how I feel. Feels amazing to get a good load of that crap off my chest after all these years.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to puke up some of this excess stress. :/

Seekrit

Well, I finally came out to my mom. Went far better than I ever thought it could. While she did say that she disagrees with it, she also said that she knew there's no fighting how I feel. Feels amazing to get a good load of that crap off my chest after all these years.

Oh man that must've been rough. Throw up and feel better! That was like the hardest thing you will ever have to tell a parent. I mean, it should go something like this but what can you do:

Yerself: "Mumsy, Papa, I am gay"
Mumsy & Papa: "Oh son how happy we are you can finally admit it"

*all hug*

END SCENE

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers

It's a hell of a hurdle to jump. You made it to the other side... welcome. :3

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
No matter how many times I see it, admitting your sexual preferences to friends and family will never strike me as something to be celebrated. Perhaps I should inform mine that I really like anthropomorphic animal sex and see what it's like.

Seekrit

No matter how many times I see it, admitting your sexual preferences to friends and family will never strike me as something to be celebrated. Perhaps I should inform mine that I really like anthropomorphic animal sex and see what it's like.

There's a difference between sexual orientation and what you like to fap to. Admitting you're not STRAIGHT BY RIGHT OF GOD in a society that still has problems with being gay/bisexual/whatever is not an easy thing for some people. It's worth celebrating admitting something that may be tearing you up inside and finding your family still accepts you for it.

Saga

absolutely disgusting
Okay
So i've been reading some of these, and now I have A STORY TO TELL MY MOM.
Yur all an inspurashun hoohoo ^@^
I feel nervous but excited, IMMA DO THIS SHIT

Serious mode: on

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
There's a difference between sexual orientation and what you like to fap to. Admitting you're not STRAIGHT BY RIGHT OF GOD in a society that still has problems with being gay/bisexual/whatever is not an easy thing for some people. It's worth celebrating admitting something that may be tearing you up inside and finding your family still accepts you for it.

I still don't see why they need to know, why it must be an event when you tell them, why their opinion of the fact matters so damn much in the first place, and why you would celebrate doing what ordinary people would simply consider mentioning in passing. And for reference I did in passing mention I was a furry to my friends, and it did require some explanation. Explanation that eventually lead to everyone googling the thor dildo and a long-winded discussion about who would buy it, why, with much disgust and freakish amusement on the part of the females present. That... was a good coming out if there ever was one.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
I still don't see why they need to know, why it must be an event whin en you tell them, why their opinion of the fact matters so damn much in the first place, and why you would celebrate doing what ordinary people would simply consider mentioning in passing. And for reference I did in passing mention I was a furry to my friends, and it did require some explanation. Explanation that eventually lead to everyone googling the thor dildo and a long-winded discussion about who would buy it, why, with much disgust and freakish amusement on the part of the females present. That... was a good coming out if there ever was one.

Bolt won the Olympic 100m simply by moving his legs the fastest.

Right?

The actions involved in doing something can be minimised to hell. We don't care about the fact someone succesfully let someone else know something, huzzah. It's the emotional release, contextual barriers overcame and legacy created that are worth celebrating, for the exact reason Bolt is celebrated.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Let me put it another, less abstract way. When I came out to my mom (the story of this is in this thread, somewhere around page 70, I forget) it caused her to scream and shout, tear the house down around me, drink excessively, cry in my presence, try to convince me I was simply incorrect, and all of the stereotypical things you might conclude are similar to all of that.

Why on earth would I put myself through that? Why would I put her through that? Why does she need to know?

Because she got over it. Hugged me three months later and told me that she realised it didn't matter.

Also, because I want to have a relationship at some point in my life. I want to be able to say, with the sort of pride that my prospective boyfriend will deserve, to my mom, "hey, this is Whatshisface. We're dating."

More sincerely, I want to be in the sort of environment where I can even hypothetically do that, even if I'm not dating anybody for the moment. Why does the hypothetical matter, do you think? Well, that's because of fear, doubt, anxiety -- and the relief of throwing those burdens off your shoulder. To resolve compartmentalisation. To be able to hold the revised expectations of the people around you in one hand, and your succesful and happy lifestyle in the other, and for there to be no conflict in doing that.

If you think you could stoically handle the pressure of knowing that you carry that potential bombshell around inside you, a bomshell unfortunately generated just by living your life and having relationships in the way that you want to, and just weather the uncontrolled explosion of releasing it without a care for timing and consideration, and in spite of the potential of the people around you to blow up like the people around me did, I'd stop you right there and correct you. I'd tell you you were being unrealistic at best, and destructively naive at worse. The success stories in this thread of "nothing happened after all" are just as incredible; because in the same way, the fear was thrown out. That's why this is a celebrated thing, and this wasn't so much a post aimed at TeenageAngst, but more of a broadcast to remind people of why this thread is here, and why we celebrate this shit, and why it's worth going through with it.

Last edited:

Saga

absolutely disgusting
Back
I couldnt talk because I choked so I wrote it on a note. They already knew.
I had been disguising boyfriends as just friends, but they knew that too. My dad didnt say much, and there wasnt a lot of shock either (since they known for so long...). We ended up talking about how I needed to be careful who else I told, because there is ignorance in the world and all that. She said that if I doid decide to chase a military career, that I should make it known but not make a big deal of it. Also that me and any of my boyfriends are always welcome in our house.
My mom told me about how when she was young, her family took in a gay kid who was kicked out of his house when he came out, and how she had no disagreements with gay rights.
Overall it went pretty well. I wonder what other secrets of mine they know ;_;

Seekrit

Back
I couldnt talk because I choked so I wrote it on a note. They already knew.
I had been disguising boyfriends as just friends, but they knew that too. My dad didnt say much, and there wasnt a lot of shock either (since they known for so long...). We ended up talking about how I needed to be careful who else I told, because there is ignorance in the world and all that. She said that if I doid decide to chase a military career, that I should make it known but not make a big deal of it. Also that me and any of my boyfriends are always welcome in our house.
My mom told me about how when she was young, her family took in a gay kid who was kicked out of his house when he came out, and how she had no disagreements with gay rights.
Overall it went pretty well. I wonder what other secrets of mine they know ;_;

Yay c:

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
Oh, hey, this thread's still here. Congrats, people who did it :>

First week of college, I'm gonna wear this shirt. It'll get the point across.

TeenageAngst

Banned
Banned
If you think you could stoically handle the pressure of knowing that you carry that potential bombshell around inside you, a bomshell unfortunately generated just by living your life and having relationships in the way that you want to, and just weather the uncontrolled explosion of releasing it without a care for timing and consideration, and in spite of the potential of the people around you to blow up like the people around me did, I'd stop you right there and correct you. I'd tell you you were being unrealistic at best, and destructively naive at worse. The success stories in this thread of "nothing happened after all" are just as incredible; because in the same way, the fear was thrown out. That's why this is a celebrated thing, and this wasn't so much a post aimed at TeenageAngst, but more of a broadcast to remind people of why this thread is here, and why we celebrate this shit, and why it's worth going through with it.

You mean like when I became an atheist and didn't tell my extremely fundamentalist christian family about it? It was none of their business, so I didn't start nothing, and there was nothing. Although eventually (years later) I got pissed about having to deal with my family's christian sensibilities every day so I laid into them about their hocus-pocus and they reacted as you can imagine. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on their part, I cared less than a nihilist with a marmot, and life went on as usual. They still haven't gotten over it, and I still have yet to give a damn about their opinion. It ain't a big deal.

Kangamutt

Oh man that must've been rough. Throw up and feel better! That was like the hardest thing you will ever have to tell a parent. I mean, it should go something like this but what can you do:

Yerself: "Mumsy, Papa, I am gay"
Mumsy & Papa: "Oh son how happy we are you can finally admit it"

*all hug*

END SCENE

The anxiety was pretty intense when she asked me. I almost instantaneously started to sweat bullets. I'm just glad that I can be at home, and not feel like I'm walking on eggshells all the time now. I swear, my anxiety dropped by half after all that.

Also, that little scene was so fucking saccharine, I'm gonna barf again. :V

It's a hell of a hurdle to jump. You made it to the other side... welcome. :3

Thanks, man. While she didn't agree with it, I'm just happy it was a very civil agree to disagree situation.