• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Comment System problem

Am I the only one wondering what the FECK is wrong with the commenting system? Not only is it all weird and retarded now (not viewing the post you're replying too while you type your response) but it's also very hit and miss when it comes to notifying me when i receive new comments. I've missed about 4 comments already (luckily i checked back on the pic/journal i posted on, otherwise I'd have missed them.)

Anyway, Just wanting to know what's wrong and if/when it will be fixed.
 

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
It's also not sanitizing the data properly otherwise you wouldn't get these backslashes on output.
 

imnohbody

Member
I wouldn't know about the notification thing, but I do find myself rather disliking the new reply system. The old one might have been flawed, in that it didn't show other comments if you wanted to cover multiple issues in a post, but it was nice seeing a copy of what, exactly, you're replying to.

When I used it to reply to a submission comment, earlier today, I was wondering why the comment reply box appeared where it would, under the older system, if replying to the submission/journal directly, instead of a reply to a reply.
 

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
It's hardly Rocket Surgery to remember what you're replying to.
 
Bokracroc said:
It's hardly Rocket Surgery to remember what you're replying to.

.. Random of me. But I actually said 'Brain Science' when I meant to say Brain Surgery, but it got mixed up with Rocket Science... >>; My husband looked at me all sorts of funny and I've yet to live it down.


I was having some comment issues today but Yak took care of them, it was weird issues D: The new comment system is odd..
 

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
kuronekotenshi said:
.. Random of me. But I actually said 'Brain Science' when I meant to say Brain Surgery, but it got mixed up with Rocket Science... >>; My husband looked at me all sorts of funny and I've yet to live it down.

I rather like it! I'll have to remember that one. :)
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
There were several issues that weren't resolved before that new comment system went online.
One of them was improper data sanitizing, noticed and reported by kuronekotenshi, and resolved sinse then.
Another was a glitch in how the comment notification were being sent out. hexxkitty noted me about it, and i belive this was also resolved.

At first, it was decided not to quote the message you are replying to, assuming that you could always click the username in that "Replying to" box header and it would scroll you to it. But judging from the responces i belive that has to change. As soon as FA goes back online, i'll see what can be done about it.

But anyway,
I belive it would be best if you left out the emotional language in your report, and came forward a little bit more constructive.
 

robomilk

fruit bat at large
yak said:
At first, it was decided not to quote the message you are replying to, assuming that you could always click the username in that "Replying to" box header and it would scroll you to it. But judging from the responces i belive that has to change. As soon as FA goes back online, i'll see what can be done about it.

You could make it more obvious. Some of the common AJAX frameworks have things such as highlight effects and scrolling effects (as seen on Facebook and Newgrounds) which makes it more obvious that something has happened/is happening. I would suggest something like that, personally.
 

imnohbody

Member
Yeah, like robomilk said. I'd be fine with it being obvious, especially when the person being replied to has several comments in the submission/journal.

And, no, it's not rocket surgery, Bok, but I do sometimes have to step away from the computer in the middle of something, you know. :p

[edit]
Hmm, 333 posts. Does that make me half-evil? :twisted:
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
robomilk said:
You could make it more obvious. Some of the common AJAX frameworks have things such as highlight effects and scrolling effects (as seen on Facebook and Newgrounds) which makes it more obvious that something has happened/is happening. I would suggest something like that, personally.
I'm not going to impose my opinions on people, but hey.
When i am replying, i want to reply and not to see stuff flashing and highlighting and scrolling, and having to wait for it to finish on top of that. How it is now is only uncomfortable for the first five times you try it, because after you'd probably start to like it that you instantly can type what you were about to say and not see all those effects.

Yes, it's not quite obvious to which comment exactly you are replying to, i know. I couldn't decide how to make it obvious, so i left the decision up to you folks, suggesting it. So far, the best solution i've heard was to quote the post inside the reply form, right above the smilies - and i was going to do that if FA didn't decide to kick the bucket since morning and for the rest of the day.

Constructive suggestions are as always welcomed, just please, don't start your post with the words "it sucks".
 

robomilk

fruit bat at large
yak said:
robomilk said:
You could make it more obvious. Some of the common AJAX frameworks have things such as highlight effects and scrolling effects (as seen on Facebook and Newgrounds) which makes it more obvious that something has happened/is happening. I would suggest something like that, personally.
I'm not going to impose my opinions on people, but hey.
When i am replying, i want to reply and not to see stuff flashing and highlighting and scrolling, and having to wait for it to finish on top of that. How it is now is only uncomfortable for the first five times you try it, because after you'd probably start to like it that you instantly can type what you were about to say and not see all those effects.

I was a little unsure about the scrolling idea meself, but I threw it in as an alternative to the highlighting.

The highlight feature (maybe on the text box itself) doesn't have to be intrusive to the user. If properly implimented it will do nothing more than make the textbox more obvious to the end user.

As demonstrated here (in this case by Scriptaculous, although said effect is available in many places), it's just a quick yellow highlight fading quickly back to the normal background colour. All it does is signify that something has happened, and little more.
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
Opinionated post to follow, but by no means i'm trying to impose my point of view on you folks.

I am aware of the visual effect and widget libraries like script.aculo.us, rico and others not built upon the prototype JS framework, but in 12 or so months of actively implementing those things on the customers' websites in the company that i work in, i began to hate them with a passion.

The thing is, it's still eye candy more then anything, and not much else. It may look cool, and it is at first, but then i am almost certain you are going to begin to get annoyed by all that flashing and fading. It's just like with that accordion effect everyone seems to be obsessed with - i don't want to see your menu slide down every time i click an item, i want it to unfold instantly so i could just click my link and be done with it.

I'm sure there are other, just as effective, methods of making the process seem less confusing that doesn't involve freezing my browser on my not-so-powerful PC and wasting a second of my time every time, annoying me with flashing effects while at it.
 

robomilk

fruit bat at large
Well that's you, but a little visual notice would still be handy to most. Post quoting still seems like an alright idea.

And I just noticed, the emoticons for :whatever: and :idunno: are the same, might as well remove one of them and make the emoticons into a block rather than a block with one most stuck on the end.
 

marmelmm

Hat...'Stache...Legend.
robomilk said:
And I just noticed, the emoticons for :whatever: and :idunno: are the same, might as well remove one of them and make the emoticons into a block rather than a block with one most stuck on the end.

While we're on the subject, could I respectfully request that :veryhappy: be replaced with :D ? It'd be easier. Thanks!

-MMM-
 

Stratelier

Well-Known Member
that accordion effect everyone seems to be obsessed with - i don't want to see your menu slide down every time i click an item, i want it to unfold instantly so i could just click my link and be done with it.
I agree. At least Windows's menu scrolling/etc can be switched on and off.
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
I'll quote the message you're replying to in the form.
 

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
The messages you are replying to should be quoted now. Indeed it looks more convenient that way.
If you're experiencing any problems, be sure to refresh your browser's cache first and give it another try.

By blocking http://static.furaffinity.net/scripts/quick-replyto.js from loading, you'll force the comment system in the old reply mode.
 

Bokracroc

Bokra, come out to pla-ay
Psst.
Where's the Angry emoticon?
 

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
Why's the comment system being changed when registration is still offline?
Why are there lots of cosmetic changes being made when one of the most important FUNCTIONAL tools is broken? What good are these changes to new users who have no access to them?[/i]
 
Top