• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Commission Ethics Question from Artist

AmaraBurrger

Burr: Draw-er of Things
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums. I couldn't find a spot that fit correctly, so I just dumped this in General Discussion since I'm not asking about prices, specifically - just about the ethical implications discussed below. Thank you!)

Hey all. I've been doing commission work for about 10 years, now. Got my start on FA as a commission artist on an old account and my first commission was in the TF genre. From that point forward, that was kinda just what my audience became and I took more and more TF commissions as time went on.

Now, before I ask my question, I want to preface things and lay it all out on the table. I have ZERO problem with the TF community. I don't dislike it as a genre. I'm simply not that into it. And, I'd like to start building my gallery up with more things I enjoy, like pinups and high fantasy and tentacles and whatnot.

Short version: Rather than being known as a TF artist, I'd like to be known for my other work.

ANYWAY, today I'm starting to set up my new price increase since I've skilled up a lot and demand is mounting and I need to pay my ever-increasing bills, yadda yadda yadda. The fact came up that some artists impose an upcharge for things which make them uncomfortable or they're not interested in drawing, like NSFW stuff. This got me thinking - I'd kind of like to do less TF art in the future, so would it be ethically bad to set an upcharge on TF commissions or, for that matter, other genres?

On the one hand, it would fulfill what I want to do, which is as I said above - I wanna do less TF art and more of the stuff I'm into (since the entire body of my work represents me as an artist to some extent).

On the other hand, it feels kind of discriminatory, as though I'm saying "EWWWWWWWW! TF IS BAD!" or whatever, which is DEFINITELY NOT my intention! Also I feel a bit fearful that I'd be distancing/alienating my existing audience. And they're super sweet people, so I don't want to give them cause to just up and bail or think I suddenly hate them :<

So yeah, bottom line: What do you guys think? Do I put in that upcharge or just suck it up and do TF art at the same price as everything else, even if I don't want to, because art is my sole income?

If you have any other suggestions, by the by, I'm happy to listen. I would really appreciate the help!

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
As the artist you get to set the prices, and as long as you're still willing to do the art for those who pay the higher price, I don't see an issue with charging more.

If you absolutely don't want to do a particular theme anymore, you should state that in your info.

Or, maybe only open up commissions for that theme on a limited basis. When you're up for doing one, post it as a submission and journal to let your viewers know.

Sometimes making something available less frequently will make it more in demand.

Just a thought.

LameFox

I see no ethical issue with it. This is art, freelance art at that, it's not as if you're the sole supplier of some essential service.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I charge more for NSFW myself because my pene and vajeen receptors go down sigificantly after staring at them some hours to shade them. -And people need to pay for that.

Artists charge according to what sort of goals they are trying to achieve. If you are not meeting your personal goals, what is the point even?

rekcerW

You're the artist, and you're entitled to pick and choose whatever you want to create 100% of the time. You are absolutely not obligated to oblige by any particular demand that may or may not exist.

It may be a different story from a purely business-related standpoint, and if it may be a detriment to your income, then it is something worth considering - this is, of course, with the exception of maybe maintaining the customer-base and collecting additional income by marking up your prices.

But on a purely personal level, you're the artist. You're the one who took the time to refine and improve your skills, and what you choose to depict will always be your own choice. If somebody was so adamant about collecting artwork related to whatever preference they may have, they always will have the exact same opportunity that you have taken to improve their own skills and create artwork for themselves.

Don't feel obligated to cater to anybody, it's your talent, create what you want to create and don't feel bad for wanting to do what you want to do. What got you into drawing in the first place? TF commissions? I doubt it.

It would suck to consider creating artwork as a chore.

quoting_mungo

In your situation, I would probably suggest setting a slightly higher base price and offering discounts for areas you’d like to branch out into. Be open about that being the reason, too - “I’d like to branch out and do some A, B, and C, so right now I will offer a $X/Y% discount for commissions with those themes.”

It both lets you encourage wider variety and allows you to continue to shape your portfolio in similar ways in the future when the areas you want to try out change, while avoiding making any implication that you’re judging TF art in any way beyond “it’s most of my portfolio.”

Last edited:

oappo

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums. I couldn't find a spot that fit correctly, so I just dumped this in General Discussion since I'm not asking about prices, specifically - just about the ethical implications discussed below. Thank you!)
This is a question which fits perfectly in Art and Illustration I think.

Anyways, I cannot speak much from the perspective of an art seller(e.g., if it's a good business move). But it's important to let everyone know why you're making the change if you do increase the prices.

As the artist you get to set the prices, and as long as you're still willing to do the art for those who pay the higher price, I don't see an issue with charging more.
Agreed. The artist is the decision maker, and shifting focus is 100% ok.

Last edited:

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
In your situation, I would probably suggest setting a slightly higher base price and offering discounts for areas you’d like to branch out into. Be open about that being the reason, too - “I’d like to branch out and do some A, B, and C, so right now I will offer a $/Y% discount for commissions with those themes.”

It both lets you encourage wider variety and allows you to continue to shape your portfolio in similar ways in the future when the areas you want to try out change, while avoiding making any implication that you’re judging TF art in any way beyond “it’s most of my portfolio.”
This is probably the best option. Don't even mention paying more for TF art. Just say you'll give discounts for stuff you want to get into. You're a genius Mungo!

Also in the end it is your decision as the artist to say what you want to do and don't want to.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I've seen a couple people talk about whether or not this is a good business move thus far--

Let me tell you- any business move that allows you to be sustainable is a good one. Drawing stuff that you don't want to draw is never a good business move. It's unsustainable. You won't do good work, nor will you have good experiences with your clients.

Remember- at the end of the day, people are paying for interactions with an artist. It's supposed to be a fun experience.

AmaraBurrger

Burr: Draw-er of Things
Wow I didn't expect such an outpouring of input so quickly (usually my forum posts on sites just kinda rot lol). Thank you all so much for your thoughts on this. I'll take it all into consideration while I make my final decisions <3

I gotta thank you from the bottom of my heart, really. This truly is the best community I've ever known >w<

CHEERS! <3

Kinare

RAWR
I just skimmed, but another option I didn't see mentioned in my skim is to open limited slots for specific topics and styles. So, give TF art one slot a month (just for example, I dunno how many you are ok with) and then open more slots for other things/styles.

As everyone else says, you're the artist so you're more than entitled to make rules on what you're willing to draw. Some people outright refuse to draw certain subject matters just because they don't like the subject, they need to be inspired by what they draw and it doesn't fit, or they don't feel confident enough.

In this situation, the only unethical outcome I could see is if you tried to force yourself to meet the demands of the TF commissioners, but then can't do a good job because the artistic drive is lost, yet still charging them as though you were fully invested in their comm. Not saying you'd do such a thing, but I have seen it done before where an artist gets tired of the art they're forced to draw, but need money, so they keep forcing themselves to continue.