• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

(COMMISSION: HIRING) SERIOUS Artists only - Graphic Novel Commission!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slatestonehero

I have recently created the backbone of an incredible comic-book style graphic novel journey through the epic battle of two super hero/villains. It's unfortunately not a 'furry' conceived concept so the vast majority of the art I need will be human, object, background, and some 'fantasy' and anthropomorphic elements thrown in for dramatic effect toward the end, as the written story will make clear.

Honest estimates? It's a pretty expansive cast, the leading couple, 6-or-so primaries, and including a couple crowd/party scenes - and the complete story will probably run 80 to 100 pages when every facet of the story has been laid out... As I understand this is asking something pretty herculean, and labor-intensive, I assure you, if you can produce a finished product, right through to color, and make it look good, then I will try to pay you just as good, and once finished will even include a gratuity added to the agreed price.

Here's how I'm hoping to find the artist I need:

Email me or just post a reply below w/ a link or two to your work, your art, and a how about a PER-PAGE price, and if possible try and include what you could quote for 'the entire project' if your could afford to go with a 'flat rate' (the prob being the project isn't 100% finished, and may yet grow a few more pages before I'm done - so a final count is impossible atm). Then end with how fast you work - how often you can finish off a page for example... I will choose by price/style/timeframe you can work at. I'm not poor but I'm not a millionaire, so do try and be humble if you can.

I have been a fur fan for many years, but never have I had the need or chance to commission something this daunting - I promise I will try and be patient and amiable as I wait for the results... : D

(Does this sound like a chance of a lifetime? Maybe we could talk about negotiating you in for a share of the returns if i turn around and sell what you come up with for me? How about now? Cuz it might be if this things developes a fan-base...)

Love and Light,
OK - LETS SEE SOME ART!

Last edited:
do you already have already have reference sheets for your characters or will that be included in the job as well?

best of luck finding the right artist!:)

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Perhaps a sampling of the story and what your budget is might help you convince some artists.

Thaily

06caputo2sv8.jpg

Ship-Wreck

Aspiring Toy Designer!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ship-wreck/ <- this is my page, most of my stuff goes up there.

Comic pages that are fully colored would be "base priced" at 80$ per page and go up from there if there are extreme detail in the pages. (If you plan on getting it published, there should be something to include getting a piece of the profits from the sold works, yeah?)

I usually can finish one page in one sitting (so a day?) but if the level of difficulty of it goes up, itll take a bit more time. (like excessively hard backgrounds)

As for a quote for the whole project, its a bit hard to say since i haven't a clue what kind of things youll be wanting, or if itll be 80 or 100 pages or somewhere in between.

fickensie

Anime Artist
I'm a comic creator as well but I don't have time to draw things for myself since I need money. xD I can do this for $15 USD a page, fully coloured with backgrounds. (It's as cheap as I can go and can't have anymore than 5 panels a page.) (I'm a very cheap, quick, artist who will give input.) That doesn't mean I can't draw though. Check out my past commissioned pieces: Human: http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/094/a/0/young_maki_by_mechanicalpenguin-d4v1kse.jpg http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/067/5/1/young_prince_by_mechanicalpenguin-d4s601w.jpg http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/244/a/a/maiku_no_inu_by_mechanicalpenguin-d486h1c.jpg http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/031/d/c/quite_a_pair_by_mechanicalpenguin-d38ig4b.jpg Furry: https://d.facdn.net/art/fickensie/1315112696.fickensie_cbfvbhfv.jpg https://d.facdn.net/art/fickensie/1307057889.fickensie_redpandaa.jpg https://d.facdn.net/art/fickensie/1324611803.fickensie_comicdragdone.jpg https://d.facdn.net/art/fickensie/1330913341.fickensie_wolvesforrich.jpg https://d.facdn.net/art/fickensie/1331508121.fickensie_page2222pop.jpg (I don't draw Nudity though or anything too sexual.) Thanks for looking! (Sorry for weird block of text. I don't know why Fur Forums are messing up my well formatted, typed up responses? It acts like my enter-button doesn't exist.)

Slatestonehero

Huh - well, there aren't really 'required clothing' or outfits I want to see on the characters - Even the look of the hero's costume honestly could be up to the artist who takes the job - I don't wanna be constricting, and I honestly kinda want to see what some one comes up with. As for the appearances of the two characters - I do have some art and images that should clearly demonstrate the kind of age and facial-structure I'm going for. The others beside the main two, I could also handle knocking out the ref sheets for myself actually - I am actually an artist myself ['ts why I know about the FA forums, heh] - I'm just no good with 'page layout' and cells, heh. >.<

I hope this helps!! : D

do you already have already have reference sheets for your characters or will that be included in the job as well?

best of luck finding the right artist!:)

Slatestonehero

@ Thaily

Uh... Your figures..? Are pretty darn optimistic - you're failing to understand that those numbers represent what 'comic book Companies and PUBLISHING FIRMS' are expected to offer, even if you're a begining artist... What you're missing here is that ~I~ - in no way shape or form - am comparable to a Comic Book Publisher... I'm just a guy... One guy - with a cool story and a dream to pay an artist to help flesh-it-out more... You're from the Netherlands too? Whats the exchange rate like over there?

ok? - I was hopin' honestly to pay around 1.5 grand? I honestly don't really know what's 'accurate' in this situation, so the price is a lil negotiable...? I'm trying to keep it low, but feel a bit justified in this range since it's one huge job, and one lump-sum payment before you hand over the materials IRL. As such, I do NOT expect 'digital copies' of every page while I wait, I understand that this might make the artists nervous, and I wouldnt want that... Just four out of every five pages you complete, being shown to me in 'sample watermarked' format, would be fine until you are all the way finished - then I pay - and you deliver all the pages you've sent me previews of, watermarks removed - as well as the pages you hadn't sent yet, and the original artwork, or at least high-res copies of all the originals (I'll be ok with either).

The point is I guess - I'm not looking to commission 'Wookie' here? and I'd appreciate it if some people would keep there 'humble hats' on when it comes to talking about prices on a job I have a feeling a lot of you aren't even actually bidding for... so... its looking like 'outside chatter' tbh... So... not helpful. ; )

I get fur artists want to be treated like every other PROFESSIONAL LISCENCED AND CONTRACTED ARTIST... I Get that - believe me... The fact is, thats NOT who I'm looking for - if you can't accept that this is a 'back-alley' under-the-table and not 'union-backed' transaction of ONE ameteur writer, to ANOTHER ~ameteur~ artist... The point being I would like to give a less-known and less-renowned artist a go if I can - but only if they come down on the price like the lack of experience and lack of formal publishing would kind of imply... as this is more of a whim and personal goal, then any kind of 'business scheme'. Maybe I'll sell the graphic novel when it's done - maybe I'll hide it under my bed, or in my comic collection, and never tell a soul about it or where it came from - the point is, people don't get paid the 'best' or even the 'average salary' the FIRST TIME they work on a job for you - EVERY employer on the planet will tell you, or at least ever one I've ever spoken too, that a new-hand works for ~less~, and is then brought up to the expected salary for the job over the next span of time - provided they were able to prove themselves to the employer... I've had reviews where, despite my getting a job, keeping it, they still refused to raise my pay for months - and there was nothing I could do about it, because it was within their rights. I don't want to withhold funds or anything, not at all - but I do ask the artist take a looooong look at whats happening here:

- at how I AM NOT DARK HORSE COMICS - at how I have no legal contracts or 'employment documentation' I can have them sign to protect either of us - at how I am only one man, with one dream, and no 'h.r. department' - at how I have requested specifically some one who is 'undiscovered' or 'less than renowned' - at how I have promised not only the rate agreed on, but also a chance at possibly being involved in the resale of the project, should I decide to take things to the next step...? If I paid the rates people are suggesting? Then I wouldn't feel comfortable including the artist in the 'resale oppurtunity'... The artist would have ALREADY been paid in full... No 'return percentage needed'.

So - There's some gray area here... And thats ok... But - I only ask people not be insulted by the small amount I have to offer - as this was intended as an opportunity to help us both, in the small ways I can - not as some personal obsession... I still want artists to be able to find work... I just can't help with that if everything is outside of my concievable price range... k?

XD

Last edited:

Zenia

until you are all the way finished - then I pay
Many people won't be ok with something like that. It is a lot of work to do. You might want to work in 5 to 10 page batches and pay as you go. I did that with a comic commission I did not too long ago. It was 43 pages and we did it in roughly 15 page chunks.

If I paid the rates people are suggesting? Then I wouldn't feel comfortable including the artist in the 'resale oppurtunity'... The artist would have ALREADY been paid in full... No 'return percentage needed'.
Honestly... people aren't even charging you to buy the resale/printing/selling rights to you. To get those, prices are MUCH higher.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Last edited:

Slatestonehero

@ Fickensie

Alright! Wow - my first SERIOUS response! Dude - you get a gold-star just for THAT! I dunno if I would hire an artist who can't even reply to a forum thread in the requested format, LOL.

Let me look over your stuff, and give me a day or two, and I'll get back to you, cool? I REALLY appreciate your time and attention on this, it means a lot. And if I haven't gotten back to you yet, just reply on here and be like 'dude - wtheck??" and I'll be right back to you, cool cool?

Much love,

Last edited:

Slatestonehero

@ Zenia

Wow - you know, thats not a very bad idea... I could probably feel pretty happy about 'hundred dollar a month' payments or something... It just - the big worry is something will happen, some 'life emergency' or some drama like that, and I'll have to CHANGE ARTISTS halfway through the project... if that happened? I WOULD CRY... so hard... So - you understand i'm hesitant to break the contract down...? XD

Let me know if you have more advice on this, cuz I was thinking about it.

Much love,

Last edited:

Zenia

It just - the big worry is something will happen, some 'life emergency' or some drama like that, and I'll have to CHANGE ARTISTS halfway through the project... if that happened? I WOULD CRY... so hard...
The best way to do what you can to avoid that, is to find an artist with a large body of commissions and good feedback from their customers. You are less likely to be burned.

It is like when I want to buy something on eBay. I only buy from people with over 95% positive feedback. That way I know I can trust them.

Slatestonehero

@ Zenia

I didn't think so - you don't really sound like the kind of 'artist' Im looking for anyway... If you think you own rights to something ~I paid for~ and also ~wrote~? - there's something wrong with that logic... lol ; D

Zenia

Don't worry, I am not interested in working on your project anyway. :p

And you do own your story... but the artist that drew it retains all rights to the art itself unless you pay extra and purchase the copyright from them. Unless you buy that right, you are not allowed to print it for sale. Sorry, that is just how it works. If you want any clarification on copyright laws, the folks over at Artists Beware know a LOT about it.

Thaily

Haha, you're an Artist_Beware post that writes itself.
You didn't give a ballpark of what you were willing to pay, so I posted a reference for both you and the artists here.

You want someone to do $1500 worth of work (or rather, more than $1500 worth, but for $1500. Not to mention exclusive commercial rights, as Zenia rightfully mentioned) but not pay them until the end? Even if you're honest and have no intention of scamming the artist, any sane person would realize that this is an extremely unrealistic expectation. If they complete a number of pages and you change your mind, they'll still be out of the labor as they wouldn't be able to resell the commissions.
Also, $30 a page for someone who is going to pencil everything, ink it, letter it AND colour it? That's less than minimum wage, we're not even remotely talking "average" pay here. How much humbler are the artists supposed to get?
And offering them profits, if there are any, upon completion is moot because odds are, there won't be any. Most comics make little profit if any.

Seriously, would you take this job if someone offered to pay you less than minimum wage and only after several months of labor?

What you're missing here is that ~I~ - in no way shape or form - am comparable to a Comic Book Publisher... I'm just a guy... One guy - with a cool story and a dream to pay an artist to help flesh-it-out more...

You and every other person with an epic story. Do you have any idea how many great comic ideas and a small budget are flung around? Any idea how many of them are actually worth working on? Not very many to answer the question.

You want artists to work with you? You need to work with us. For such a project with your wanted budget, I would expect to see the following:

1. A proven body of published work written by you, and by written, I mean good writing, ie no ellipse abuse.
2. A well thought out and paced pitch. Anyone can talk about epic stories, why not give us a rough outline, a couple of example pages covering dialogue and the kind of material. The artist you'd want for horror is going to be very different to the artist you'd want for superman type material.
In short, show some work. Show you're invested in this if you want us to be invested in it.

I was hopin' honestly to pay around 1.5 grand

That's about $15 a page if it tops out at 100 pages, but you're not even sure of the final page count. Again, this is your baby, you are the one investing in it, $15 a page for layout, pencil, inks and color? possibly also lettering? It's not even anywhere near reasonable pay. Offhand, a quick calculation is that it would work out to about $1 an hour for any artist with any level of skill and pride in the job. Would you take pay of $1 an hour? Probably not.

Comic projects are not cheap, while sure, you might not pay Dark horse prices, you still need a better budget than that. Or at the very least a strong body of work that would show potential artists that your project may be worth taking on even at a low pay band.

I think you may be being too ambitious, if you don't already have a proven body of work, why not try commissioning a smaller piece, rather than jump straight into the epic 100 page piece? There are a lot of factors you haven't considered yet.

To do a comic you need:

1. To find a comic artist you can work with who can do what you want.
2. To understand how to turn a concept into a page. Layout is a very important part of any comic.
3. To be aware of how to tell a story in visual and text format. That is completely different to telling one in text or just in visual.

I get fur artists want to be treated like every other PROFESSIONAL LISCENCED AND CONTRACTED ARTIST... I Get that - believe me... The fact is, thats NOT who I'm looking for - if you can't accept that this is a 'back-alley' under-the-table and not 'union-backed' transaction of ONE ameteur writer, to ANOTHER ~ameteur~ artist... The point being I would like to give a less-known and less-renowned artist a go if I can - but only if they come down on the price like the lack of experience and lack of formal publishing would kind of imply... as this is more of a whim and personal goal, then any kind of 'business scheme'. Maybe I'll sell the graphic novel when it's done - maybe I'll hide it under my bed, or in my comic collection, and never tell a soul about it or where it came from - the point is, people don't get paid the 'best' or even the 'average salary' the FIRST TIME they work on a job for you - EVERY employer on the planet will tell you, or at least ever one I've ever spoken too, that a new-hand works for ~less~, and is then brought up to the expected salary for the job over the next span of time - provided they were able to prove themselves to the employer... I've had reviews where, despite my getting a job, keeping it, they still refused to raise my pay for months - and there was nothing I could do about it, because it was within their rights. I don't want to withhold funds or anything, not at all - but I do ask the artist take a looooong look at whats happening here:

Why not? Do you not expect professionalism? Whether we work for Dark horse or a private client, it's still a job and thus should be treated like a job by both parties. It's amateur btw, it's not a good sign of your skills if you don't at least spell check your pitch.

You need to decide what you want to do with it, the contract required for something you intend to publish ie a work for hire contract is not only far more costly, it's something you need if you want to publish it, work for hire is not the default, if you just pay an artist without protecting yourself via contract, you can't publish the material without their permission since you're not paying for the rights unless it's specified in a contract. This is something you need to decide now, not afterwards. Seems like you need to take a long look at what is happening here, if you want to be the boss of anyone then you need to act like a boss and that means knowing what you're doing.

Also freelance work and working for a company are not the same, you can't treat hiring a professional artist like you'd treat hiring some fresh faced college kid to flip burgers, especially since you're offering less than burger flipping money.

- at how I AM NOT DARK HORSE COMICS - at how I have no legal contracts or 'employment documentation' I can have them sign to protect either of us - at how I am only one man, with one dream, and no 'h.r. department' - at how I have requested specifically some one who is 'undiscovered' or 'less than renowned' - at how I have promised not only the rate agreed on, but also a chance at possibly being involved in the resale of the project, should I decide to take things to the next step...? If I paid the rates people are suggesting? Then I wouldn't feel comfortable including the artist in the 'resale oppurtunity'... The artist would have ALREADY been paid in full... No 'return percentage needed'.

You should have, you don't need to be a big name comic company to need a contract. It's common sense.

Also without buying the rights from the artist, your "resale" chance is nothing because you cannot sell something you don't own ie the rights if you don't buy them. Most artists are paid in full, that's the way it works for the vast majority of the minor and major publishing industry because nobody will publish something if you don't outright own the rights, so you need to budget for that if you want to sell it instead of promising future money if you sell something you won't actually own instead of fair pay.

In short, you have no pitch, no grasp of the legal realities and no reasonable budget. I am telling you this to help you, you may find it insulting but the point is if you want to do a comic, you need basic shit like:

1. A good pitch/proven body of work.
2. A contract.
3. Some idea of what you're intending to do with it and how long it's going to be.
4. A realistic budget, either by scaling down or budgeting better.

I am a comic artist, before anyone approaches me with the next big idea, I need to see a solid basis for deciding if I want in, I need to see they know what they're doing, and I want to know if they've got a history.

The only time I and many other comic artists would take on a project with a low budget is if the first three criteria were met and the project was absolutely drop dead knock out amazing. I don't even know what genre your project is much less anything else.

Sort your project out, write a decent pitch and pitch it to one of the big boys or join a comic writers group so you can get feedback and move on from it, you are not ready to self publish or to write a comic based on your attempt.

Slatestonehero

@ Zenia

Well... The 'gray area' in copyright law, from what I've read, is the word 'Creator'... you see - just because you worked on a graphic novel, imo? Doesn't make you that project's 'Creator'... In fact, ~if the person who is paying you~, also came up with the characters, the plot/wrote the story, hammered out the dialgue, then - it still sounds like the artist who worked on the cells or pages themselves, might NOT be this 'collaborations' 'Creator'... am I out of bounds here? If the artist had decided to draw the pieces WITHOUT being asked, and especially without being paid, then I would feel like they were more the person who was responsible for the 'creation' of the art... But - if the person will ONLY produce the art if they are 'TOLD TO' and paid, by another party, then the 'Creator' of the project, is in fact? STILL - the second party who is trying to 'commission' an artist (that word has some history in the industry, and it almost always includes the release of rights to the artwork produced, otherwise it's not a 'commission' - its a PAID REQUEST - which is ~diferent~). If he who has to prod and tempt the artist to put out the materials THEY have planned and envisioned... The artist is as much a 'creator' of this work, legally, as they helped conceive and then fund the project - which, in this case, feels like exactly what the artist I am looking for, DID NOT DO.... I want to pay them, so that they produce what ~I~ want to create... I do not want to pay them to see what THEY want to create - does that make the issue of 'copyright' more understandable in light of the conditions of this specific agreement I am trying to arrange..? You don't have to agree with it - but you will be asked to sign your name on an agreement which basically repeats the above... So... Just cuz you draw it - doesn't make it YOURS AND ONLY YOURS AND NO ONE ELSES EVER... Thats... not really fair to the people who PAID you to draw it, came up with the idea, and then drafted the paperwork explaining this fact to you... XD

To sum up - if you want this job - you have to acknowledge that this WAS NOT your idea... That these are not your concepts/characters, and that this is not your project... The project belongs to the person who got it off the ground, and in this case, since I'm paying - that person who gets this thing off the ground is me... That's not unreasonable, nor is it devoid of rational logic... It's just the conditions of the job being described - if you cannot accept these clear conditions? -then I'm afraid it's back to the 'hippie commune' you apparently already work at for you... THIS ~paying job~ goes to some one who can conduct themselves with much less 'ego' and 'possessiveness' in regards to simple comic book art. It's NOT that big of a deal people - it's just that I am ~hiring~ you, and still expect to keep all rights to what is produced from said ~HIRE~... you're not 'allowing me to make a request of you' - thats not how this works, ok? lol

-I really don't mind explaining this to artists... but I also won't bother reading any complaints or 'judgements' about it either. My project, my money = my art... k? It's not even an issue of 'respect' - it's an issue of 'payment for materials' which includes the rights to said materials. If you have to 'charge a premium' to include the rights to the works... well... that's a bit unfortunate, because that means some one else gets to take this job.

Love and light,

Last edited:

Thaily

Well... The 'gray area' in copyright law, from what I've read, is the word 'Creator'

Read more. You can write something and you'll have created the story/dialogue/etc. and that'll be yours.
If an artist draws it (with your permission), the drawings and all the rights of the visual art is theirs, unless agreed otherwise beforehand.
That's what contracts are for, and you don't have to be a large company to have a contract or to contest them in court if necessary. But you will have to pay for the additional rights required if you want to use the art; redistribution, editing, commercial rights etc. and those cost a pretty penny. And you're not even willing to pay for labor.

You say you're an artist also, I suggest you draw it yourself.
If you're lucky you can just pencil it and then sell it to a publisher, who will find and hire a proper artist.
Just because you don't expect to be treated and paid like a professional, doesn't mean you're free to treat others the same way.

Another person falls victim to Dunning-Kruger effect.

Last edited:

Slatestonehero

Read more. You can write something and you'll have created the story/dialogue/etc. and that'll be yours.
If an artist draws it (with your permission), the drawings and all the rights of the visual art is theirs, unless agreed otherwise beforehand

Right - exactly, are we catching up yet? I am STATING CLEARLY the terms of this contract - which, yeah obv there WILL be a contract required to do this - all I was pointing out is that I DON'T HAVE A LEGAL-TEAM on hand to draft it up for me... I have to do all of this myself, and with no small amount of research as all of these 'contradictions' seem to imply... Thanks again Thaily...

You just completed my arguement for me... "UNLESS AGREED OTHERWISE BEFORE HAND" ...Thats exactly my point - the only thing all you 'insulted artists' need to ask yourself, so you'll stop waisting my time complaining about whether or not I 'understand copyright' is THIS: ...Do you want to get paid...? Or not? ...Folks - it really is that simple. : /

I said from the start I am not rich - so if you lost your humility somewhere, find it before replying.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Thaily

Oh I have no interest in working with you, nor have I ever had.
You're already stating that you want to pay less than minimum wage for labor, nothing for rights, suggesting artists should be grateful for the "opportunity" or go "to the 'hippie commune' you apparently already work at".
You're already abusive and aggressive in your statements.

You do not consider yourself a professional, but I do and I have no reason to subject myself to your fickle whims. Right now I'm just here to warn any other artists that may be reading this thread to think twice before offering to work with you, because I have dealt with your type before and I know from experience that this will end in mutual frustration and wasted effort. I doubt they'll see a penny of the already meager funds offered and they won't be able to re-sell the art if the transaction is halted.

So... Just cuz you draw it - doesn't make it YOURS AND ONLY YOURS AND NO ONE ELSES EVER... Thats... not really fair to the people who PAID you to draw it, came up with the idea, and then drafted the paperwork explaining this fact to you... XD

This why we have work for hire contracts, not understanding the legalities involved doesn't mean it's unfair to you, it means you need to do some research and $15 a page is nowhere near enough for work for hire work.

To sum up - if you want this job - you have to acknowledge that this WAS NOT your idea... That these are not your concepts/characters, and that this is not your project... The project belongs to the person who got it off the ground, and in this case, since I'm paying - that person who gets this thing off the ground is me... That's not unreasonable, nor is it devoid of rational logic... It's just the conditions of the job being described - if you cannot accept these clear conditions? -then I'm afraid it's back to the 'hippie commune' you apparently already work at for you... THIS ~paying job~ goes to some one who can conduct themselves with much less 'ego' and 'possessiveness' in regards to simple comic book art. It's NOT that big of a deal people - it's just that I am ~hiring~ you, and still expect to keep all rights to what is produced from said ~HIRE~... you're not 'allowing me to make a request of you' - thats not how this works, ok? lol

You're getting it nowhere without an artist, not many are going to be willing to work with what you're doing. If you're an artist, draw it yourself, then you can find out just how much work goes into a comic personally and discover just how unreasonable your unwillingness to do basic research is.

Again, you need a work for hire contract, just paying someone is NOT enough to secure all rights for yourself. Even if it's your idea, they automatically receive the copyright to their interpretation of it unless they're working under a work for hire contract which is a lot more expensive than you have the budget for. You seem to want professional work at rice picker wages.

You want good, inexpensive work and the rights? You need to get off your rump and do the work. You need the body of work, the synopsis that interests artists and the basic knowledge. Without that, you're just wasting your time and ours.

I really don't mind explaining this to artists... but I also won't bother reading any complaints or 'judgements' about it either.

If you had done your research, you wouldn't have to explain anything because you would know what you needed to make this a reality.

My project, my money = my art... k

Not without a work for hire contract and appropriate recompense. The legal system doesn't work that way, you should know this if you're an artist yourself.

It's not even an issue of 'respect' - it's an issue of 'payment for materials' which includes the rights to said materials. If you have to 'charge a premium' to include the rights to the works... well... that's a bit unfortunate, because that means some one else gets to take this job.

Copyright law does not work that way.

How many times do people have to explain this to you? Would you like it in another language? Perhaps moonspeak? If you want the rights, you need a work for hire agreement and a decent budget because rights are not cheap. To be blunt, chances of you ever publishing it, are somewhere between never going to happen and pretty much impossible. Unless you have a knock down amazing premise with artists salivating to work on it? Yeah, you're just like every other person with an amazing idea that he's going to get published and 99.9% of them will never be anything but dreams that are only impressive to the person who is going "I have an amazing idea". Cripes, do you have any idea how many times I've got notes and emails from people just like you who have "the next big thing", little or no budget and even less of an idea of what they're doing? It's a lot. Not one of them had the next little thing never mind the next big one.

Also it's wasting, not waisting [sic], have you even got anything written to show?

Zenia

If I wasn't already completely uninterested in your project... I would be now. You don't sound like a fun person to work for and you sound condescending as all heck. Commission artists generally have a firm grasp on what is involved with copyright and all that.

I sincerely hope that anyone who might still be interested will not agree to work (and sell copyright/printing rights) for only $15/pg.

Slatestonehero

Thaily - I'm irritated... because you ARE NOT LISTENING.

I have stated that only artists who are interested in taking the job based on the conditions described should reply... You don't fall into that catergory - so you're input? Is not wanted or welcome... Get it? I'm not here for a 'lesson on economics'... I'm not hear to find out if THAILY agrees with what I'm doing - get over yourself. Let other people think for themselves, how 'bouts? XD

I never claimed that this was a 'perfect arrangement' - nor did I intend to make any of my requirements of 'property ownership' a secret, or else I wouldnt have posted in IN-THREAD... So... Stop acting like you're 'protecting some one' because we're all adults here... until some one throws a tizzy and acts like they need to condemn me for being honest... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.