• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Commission Payment Help

TentacledHeart

I'm new to FA. I was wondering if people have alternative methods to accepting payments for Commissions/YCHs. I have a Paypal, but my real name is attached to it and I rather not have my real name exposed to people I don't know. Any ideas?

Thank you

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
Generally a name / some identifying information is attached to online financial transactions for the security and safety of all involved. Any method that doesn't do so could be open to fraud unless carefully regulated.

Payments sent via paypal have the senders address and the paypal email address of the recipient, but not the recipients physical address or name unless you use an invoice. So, if I sent you $40 we'd both receive an email with my name, street address, and your email.

There are a couple options if invoices are used. You can changed your last name on the Paypay address to an initial, get a PO box to remove your street address, or have a Paypal business account or a secondary account with a pseudonym and address for non physical transactions. To be clear, this last one may violate the terms of service and I'm not advising you to do so.

Last edited:

TentacledHeart

Generally a name / some identifying information is attached to online financial transactions for the security and safety of all involved. Any method that doesn't do so could be open to fraud unless carefully regulated.

Payments sent via paypal have the senders address and the paypal email address of the recipient, but not the recipients physical address or name unless you use an invoice. So, if I sent you $40 we'd both receive an email with my name, street address, and your email.

There are a couple options if invoices are used. You can changed your last name on the Paypay address to an initial, get a PO box to remove your street address, or have a secondary Paypal with a business or pseudonym and address for non physical transactions. To be clear, this last one may violate the terms of service and I'm not advising you to do so.

So if I were to give someone a link to my Paypal to send money for a commission, wouldn't they see my name attached to it- like "send (name) (amount)?"

Render

Banned
No, not if you just give them a paypal email address. Here's the receipt for a transaction I did this morning through Paypal. Because I sent the funds I do not get to see the recipients personal information beyond their account email.

unknown.png

If you're unsure, get a friend and send a few $1 transfers back and forth to make sure you're comfortable with the exposure.

Render

Banned
To elaborate, a money request (link) or invoice absolutely will have your information (so-and-so sent a request for X amount). The alternative is the seller provides the email address / account address of their paypal and the buyer uses the 'send money' option to transfer the requested funds. This is how the above receipt was generated.

TentacledHeart

To elaborate, a money request (link) or invoice absolutely will have your information (so-and-so sent a request for X amount). The alternative is the seller provides the email address / account address of their paypal and the buyer uses the 'send money' option to transfer the requested funds. This is how the above receipt was generated.
Okay! I will ask a good friend to test it. She also worries herself about using paypal for things like commissions.

So if example I use the custom link (the paypal.me one), will that show my personal info? or would I need to use the email address attached to the paypal (the non-customized link)

TentacledHeart

Also would I change it to goods/services or personal payments? ( I have only used Paypal to send money/get paid back from a friend and make online purchases)

Render

Banned
Paypal.me is intended to let a buyer know who they are purchasing from, so yes if you use this you will likely be putting some personal information out there. I do not use this feature but this is my understanding of it's function.

Use the email address attached to your paypal, the one you use to log in. After agreeing on a commission and price just say alright here's my paypal 'something@somewhere.com' and they'll log into their account, click the send money button, and enter the email address you provided as the recipient. It's on the sender to select goods/services or personal, but if they ask it's best to request goods/services since that's what you're using the service for. Paypal will take a small %, but you'll have buyer/seller protection if there's any problems and you can just increase your asking price by a couple bucks to cover the difference.

DivineFeline

Divinely Inspired
For online purhases and commissions, A.L.W.A.Y.S. use Goods/Services. Sure, the person recieving payment has a fee, but that protects you BOTH should something happen, like the artist disappears without finishing the commission or the buyer doesn't pay.

Never, ever, ever pay for something using friends/family, no matter what the artist or seller demands. There are built in protections in Goods/Services, and you NEED that protection if something goes wrong and either side wants their money. If they whine about fees, they should have taken that into consideration with their prices, and call out any 'Paypal fee'; the seller should not need to surcharge for something they should have accounted for in their pricing

quoting_mungo

I don't have one myself, so don't quote me on this one, but I believe Kofi may be an alternative that exposes less information. I don't think they have anything in the way of buyer protection, though, given that the service is designed for donations, and I don't know if using it for payment violates their terms.

So if example I use the custom link (the paypal.me one), will that show my personal info? or would I need to use the email address attached to the paypal (the non-customized link)
PayPal.me will expose the name of the recipient (which makes sense from a "make sure you're sending your money to the right person" point of view), which is a major reason I won't use it.

SLCMedia

Business Consulting for Fandom Artists
Have a Paypal Business account and use Paypal Invoices.
You'll have the option to put the name of your business and information relating to your business on your invoice instead of your real name, etc.

They also make it really easy for your client to pay you. Much less of a hassle than sending them your Paypal email and having them send you the payment.

Here's what one of my invoice templates looks like, for example:

Paypal+Invoice

TentacledHeart

sorry for the late response- my laptop was out of commission.

so the TL;DR is use Goods/Services and use the email linked to my paypal? and do not use the custom link or the friends/family or an invoice to keep my info safe>

gavviani

I hope my response does not come across as hostile, but I have no idea how you set those up! No, I'm not one of those cretins who claims that the internet is Satan's creation with nothing good in it. I simply suggest that if you want everything to run smoothly and your nerves under control so you don't have to see a psychologist until you're in your mid fifties, you should delegate these tasks to experts. Visit KYC for more information. You will receive all of the help you need, as well as a pleasant atmosphere! I am working with this company for a while already and they are the best you can find in the town, proved!

Last edited: