• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Bug/Site Problem: Community struck again...

Kragith Zedrok

Black and Red All Day Long
He stated that he wanted to either move to dedicated servers (which he is already on), or move to distributed cloud.
Firstly, Distributed computing to a website that has zero cash flow is just madness. $25k would run dry in only a hand full of months.
Lets also not forget that, apparently, FA owes the government $10,000 in tax.

That means HE will owe money to the government.

How much of the $10k is actually related to FA?

Why doesn't he show is the tax bill?

Hmm yea I didn't realize he already had CF until you pointed that out. The donation page mentioned none of it but I remember his posts on reddit did.

The 10k for the govt is rather shocking. If I was him, after reading everyones opinions, statements, and arguments, I would post this sort of info. Only black boxing my contact info and social. It would clear him of some BS he's undergoing. Make it easier on him in the long run too. And your right $25k wouldn't be near enough to completely move FA for a long term thing. Though I believe he said he was making other donation pools.

I donated because I wanted to, thought , hey FA gives me this, so I will give them that, sort of thing.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
Cloudflare only provides ddos protection in the $200 per month plan. It is my understanding that we dont have that plan, and even that was only for facdn.net

Now Ben, I have to ask you to stop your rabble housing and spreading of conspiracy theories or I'll have to take action against your account.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
If anything I'm now just interested in where this will all go. Its like a good mystery TV show. Anyone wanna play the bad-ass cop? :D
But here's the thing, unless I and others keep on prodding and poking around, he WONT get whats coming to him.

If people just went "don't give no fucks" and stopped, he'd get away with it.

Well, instead of reporting it to the forums, I suggest doing some real work. Report him to a better business bureau or what have you. I'm being serious. Take real action if you want to see real results.

Now Ben, I have to ask you to stop your rabble housing and spreading of conspiracy theories or I'll have to take action against your account.

Needless to say he does have a few points, and you outright telling him to clam-up doesn't really help convince anyone otherwise. I don't care enough to support the claim or refute it, but I can see where he's coming from. And I already don't like Dragoneer, as do many people. This is more incendiary than anything, shutting this train of thought down rather than discussing it.

benanderson

Banned
Banned
If you can show me exactly where I am breaking the terms of service on the forum, I will happily step out. Otherwise I will continue to ask where the money is going.

benanderson

Banned
Banned
Well, instead of reporting it to the forums, I suggest doing some real work. Report him to a better business bureau or what have you. I'm being serious. Take real action if you want to see real results.
I'd have to ask someone else to do that because, ya know, from the UK. No idea what Better Business bureau even is.

That explains it then, thanks!
It really doesn't, especially when, again, Neer posted his own connection statistics to his own Twitter.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
RedSavage said:
Needless to say he does have a few points, and you outright telling him to clam-up doesn't really help convince anyone otherwise. I don't care enough to support the claim or refute it, but I can see where he's coming from. And I already don't like Dragoneer, as do many people. This is more incendiary than anything, shutting this train of thought down rather than discussing it.
His posts are in my view disrupting the community (see bottom of forum rules) and also against this announcement I made at the top of this very subforum. https://forums.furaffinity.net/announcement.php?f=17&a=62

benanderson

Banned
Banned
His posts are in my view disrupting the community (see bottom of forum rules) and also against this announcement I made at the top of this very subforum. https://forums.furaffinity.net/announcement.php?f=17&a=62

Your criticisms and concerns can of course be voiced!
And I am voicing them.

They are a great gauge of what our users want and feel.
And I want to know where the money is going, and I have posts showing that its all a bit weird and fishy. I want transparency.

Think about the context of the thread
I am, which is the DDoS and the donation drive and I am adding my criticisms.

I am being critical.
I am showing my reasons why why I am being critical.
And what I want is transparency.

I am following your rules to the letter.

Good Day.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
It really doesn't, especially when, again, Neer posted his own connection statistics to his own Twitter.
Again. Stats tracking is availible at the "pro" level (even the free one). You need the "business" level to get ddos protection.

Kragith Zedrok

Well if it's a subscription based thing that would mean FA wasn't on CF this entire time. If this is the case, I have no proof of my statement, then during the DDoS he decided to reinstate his CF account on FA. But maybe this time it would be final? It is odd but this is what I thought when I said that.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored

I don't see how it's misinformation how everything he said to this point is true.

Just because he's construing those facts in a way that FA or FA staff may not like that does not mean it is misinformation. It is simply a different interpretation.

Then again I'm just of the opinion you shouldn't bitch about things in general buuuut I break my own rules so there's that.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
And I am voicing them.

And I want to know where the money is going, and I have posts showing that its all a bit weird and fishy. I want transparency.

I am, which is the DDoS and the donation drive and I am adding my criticisms.

I am being critical.
I am showing my reasons why why I am being critical.
And what I want is transparency.

I am following your rules to the letter.

Good Day.
You missed the misinformation part.

With the transparency, just be paitent. Dragoneer now works 12-13 hour days 7 days a week. He literally can't be there every second of the day to answer questions about FA. Transparency will come, and it was indeed promised.

benanderson

Banned
Banned
You missed the misinformation part.

With the transparency, just be paitent. Dragoneer now works 12-13 hour days 7 days a week. He literally can't be there every second of the day to answer questions about FA. Transparency will come, and it was indeed promised.

Its not misinformation if its posts and whatnot directly from staff and his own reddit! Ugh, whatever.

And it better come. Because he's said it would in the past and it never did.

To change the current subject a little..
Do you think that it was a coincidence then that all of those websites went down with FA and SF? I guess I would be less surprised if it were just furry sites since so many internet dwellers seem to dislike them. Now I am just confused as to what these attacks really were about.

Kragith Zedrok

Do you think that it was a coincidence then that all of those websites went down with FA and SF? I guess I would be less surprised if it were just furry sites since so many internet dwellers seem to dislike them. Now I am just confused as to what these attacks really were about.
As am I my history class (Ning network) was attacked yesterday, well my afternoon. They went back up fast though. Been slow ever since. The intention is probably for some sort of politics. Someway somehow it will be someone wanting power. *Cough* NSA *Cough*

lol nahh but it is interesting.

Kaedal

Punny User Title
I wouldn't read too much into it. It was probably a just a group that asked themselves which websites they hated the most. Furry websites just happened to top the list.

PheagleAdler

When did I say the users deserved it? Stop putting words in my mouth.

https://twitter.com/Dragoneer/status/514206378966384640

Oh hey. Dragoneer's own personal twitter account. And look, he's showing off FA's CloudFlare Statistics on September 23rd.

THE POINT is that no one should be donating because Dragoneer has lied in the past, broken promises relating to transparency and just now, thanks to Shane Rufus, shown that hey, he also lied about CloudFlare.

NO ONE should be giving money to this man at all until he tells us exactly what is going on.

I don't think 'Neer actually lied about CloudFlare, only that it became apparent when the site was down because people all of a sudden started seeing the CloudFlare offline page. Hence my assumption that the site switched to CloudFlare during its downtime.

You responded to Kragith's statement "FA and its people don't deserve this." with a matter-of-fact "Trust me, they do" You should have clipped it to clarify your meaning, but either way, if FA deserves anything, its users will probably be affected in the process, so it's not a good idea.

As far as moving to CloudFlare, I don't know how long of a process this is, and since 'Neer stated that he's got a 3-year contract so not sure if he's looking to switch his host, but the rest of these changes probably take time as well.

yak

Site Developer
Administrator
The reason why people are saying its an inside job is because the time was so perfect it makes the entire thing smell fishy.
FurAffinity also already had DDoS protection in place.
http://benanderson89.tumblr.com/post/100439842006/turns-out-furaffinity-already-had-ddos-protection

The images your post is referring to was from a trial run of CloudFlare's caching, which was subsequently disabled due to causing problems with dynamic and semi-dynamic content such as avatars, thumbnails and submission files.
It was enabled only on the *.facdn domain, which is a static file host; unlike *.furaffinity.net domain which actually serves dynamic pages.

Weasyl also uses exactly the same provider (CloudFlare), meaning they'll have the same DDoS protection, and they got through the DDoS and back up and running in a fraction of the time it took FA. So why did FA get taken down for so long? Was the DDoS protection removed? That's the only real explanation because, if it did break the provider like Dragoneer stated, Weasyl would've been down for exactly the same amount of time.
CloudFlare's advertized DDoS protection is limited and not all-encompassing. It's not a silver bullet "click here for complete protection for 200$/mo" option like you are trying to make it look. Weasyl being down as per your post demonstrates that.

Weasyl, to my limited knowledge of its infrastructure, utilizes Amazon AWS. It's a powerful resource scaling system with a price tag attached, which can soak up a lot of crud and not be overwhelmed usually at the cost of quite a bit of money on the monthly bill. You are assuming Weasyl was hit by the same people, with the same amount of traffic and for just as long as FA did which may or may not be so.
You are also comparing FA's provider with a giant like Amazon. Over 10GB of parasitic traffic may not be such a big deal to the latter while it poses a real problem to the former, effectively affecting all of its clients and not just us, the target.

The amount of time FA was down can be directly related to it's provider's general slowness/unresponsiveness in dealing with the issue and being the primary target of the attack as the timeline indicates. We could have been online much sooner.
Experience in dealing with such things comes into play as this may have been something that FA's provider haven't had much of; explaining the slow responses; but that's pure speculation on my part.

EDIT: Neer switching to CloudFlare during the attack is complete BS. As shown in that post above, that is CloudFlare's GUI in those pie charts from September 22nd.
Switching FA (*.furaffinity.net) domain to Cloudflare during the attack was the solution developed between ourselves and our host to mitigate the issue. The provider has set up firewall rules for the website dropping direct all traffic except for CloudFlare's, while we took steps to start the migration to using its services. The integration at this point is rudimentary, but it will be expanded with full caching and CDN support in the near future.