• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

"Community" Vent? Sort of.

Zahur

The eastern rift dragon
Hello,
I joined this "community" *checks his FA page* Jun 27th, 2016.
Yet, I fail to see what's in this "community" that would allow it to get that name.
From Wikipedia:
"An online community or also called an internet community is a virtual community whose members interact with each other primarily via the Internet. For many, online communities may feel like home, consisting of a "family of invisible friends" [...] An online community can act as an information system where members can post, comment on discussions, give advice or collaborate"
--
Now, I can see the see the second part happening after the "[...]" but the first one?
I am having serious trouble relating to people in this community, so far, I have just 3 people that I talk to regularly, the others seem not interested or try to evade any kind of social relationships with people that don't meet their "standards" (That mostly is just a standard: have a good fursona or GTFO).
I.E. Had a friend, made a change to MY fursona > get called attention whore (?), and childish. By a person, I knew on this since a few days after I joined this site
---
Other than that there is another kind of people which disgust me even more, that one of these 3 friends that I already said before resumed in the perfect way while we were chatting:
"[...]You tried to know him and chat and all that, but he didn't really give a shit not clearly considering you're worth his time but then you keep seeing him being all nice on everyone clearly more popular-seeming(And I'll add with people sharing standards again) guys etc"
---
Or just people being straight assholes without reason, again I have an example:
I've known a guy for about 3 months and was on a discord with a friend, he joined, he never heard my voice before or met me in discord so I could stay anonymous, the discussion went like this between my two friends (and the asshole now ex-friend):
Friend:"What do you think of Zahur?"
Bastard:"*TG nickname here*, The guy from *insert my city here*? I think he is an attention whore"
F:"Uhm" *awkward silence for a second "He is here on discord"
B:"Ah, Really?"
F:"yeah"
me: "Hi"
He dropped the discussion and not even tried to excuse himself, he went the next day making drama on a little group of furries saying that I blocked him without reason(While, luckily, my friend was here and he heard everything that day on discord) etc...
----
It is, always like that, either selfish people or straight bastards?

Am I just unlucky, or about all the people I met so far in this community are just horse shit?

Diretooth

Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope
I joined in '12 and only recently have started gaining more than a passing glance at my posts, and that's mostly because I've been posting more earnestly and more maturely than I used to. It takes some time, but engage in various topics both serious and not. Someone is bound to notice you.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Yes, FA is in a sense an online community. The fandom itself is not. It truly is unfortunate that you had to get a taste of the negative aspects of the assholery going on in the fandom.

Here's the thing: Just because we interact doesn't mean we have to care let alone get emotionally invested in someone else. Just because we're a community on FA and/or on FAF doesn't mean we have to be nice to one another. That is not how a community work. We don't have to get along just because we occupy some of the same space online. Same goes for reality. We're not required nor obligated to care just because we may share some of the same space or even interests.

It's all up to the individual and how he/she wants to interact with others, if he/she wants to interact with anyone at all.

Now, this fandom have a lot of drama llamas. They get high on it, the chemicals in their brain have gotten them addicted to the high that comes with it. Same goes for attention whoring. A lot of them have gotten addicted to the endorphins involved. We've got plenty of assholes in this fandom too, just like in reality.

I'd invite you to our Discord server if you're interested. At least they will treat you with dignity and common sense, though the banter can get a little heavy. I think they'd welcome another Eurofur. :D

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Every community is like that - there are some people who are friendly to each other, and some people that are vitriolic to each other. You just need to find the right people to talk with.

Zahur

The eastern rift dragon
Yes, FA is in a sense an online community. The fandom itself is not. It truly is unfortunate that you had to get a taste of the negative aspects of the assholery going on in the fandom.

Here's the thing: Just because we interact doesn't mean we have to care let alone get emotionally invested in someone else. Just because we're a community on FA and/or on FAF doesn't mean we have to be nice to one another. That is not how a community work. We don't have to get along just because we occupy some of the same space online. Same goes for reality. We're not required nor obligated to care just because we may share some of the same space or even interests.

It's all up to the individual and how he/she wants to interact with others, if he/she wants to interact with anyone at all.

Now, this fandom have a lot of drama llamas. They get high on it, the chemicals in their brain have gotten them addicted to the high that comes with it. Same goes for attention whoring. A lot of them have gotten addicted to the endorphins involved. We've got plenty of assholes in this fandom too, just like in reality.

I'd invite you to our Discord server if you're interested. At least they will treat you with dignity and common sense, though the banter can get a little heavy. I think they'd welcome another Eurofur. :D
Well, usually communities should get along well, I get your point and understand it since people can be assholes or nice

and I will accept your invite to your discord.

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
Well, usually communities should get along well, I get your point and understand it since people can be assholes or nice

and I will accept your invite to your discord.
It's too big for everyone to get along, unfortunately. Also considering people have nothing in common apart from being fans of anthros. There will no doubt be clashes of all sorts.

Sent you an invite in a PM. Welcome to the server! :D

LupusFamilia

Brother of the Dead
tbh I don't get your comment
Was directed to Yakamaru, i should probably have quoted it.
I have mostly became the experience that internet communitys are no matter where something like a witch kettle with unknown ingredients. It's all a thing of action and reaction depending on the ingredients (users) that are thrown into and react with the mass.
To me it also looked first pretty different here, but well meanwhile i dont think that furry forums are differing from any other forum that are in the net except the content it is originally been put up for.
I threat it personally just like a giant pool of virtual contacts. Just take what looks useable and look what you can do with it. Probably imagine you have a free ticket to a all-world buffet or something.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
I'd say you probably just got unlucky. I've come across my fair share of toxic people or those who are hard to socialize with but for the most part I've had a good experience with making friendships and connections. Perhaps a small part of that is due to the seemingly endless love that the macro subcommunity gives, but even within general furs I've had a relatively easy time making friends, even local furs like my coworker and a guy from the college dorms.

Open_Mind

^^ what is it folks say nowadays?
"OMG" :cool:

This place is diverse and so are the opinions. For every "drama llama", there's an enthusiastic new member, or one of our special comedians to lighten up the mood.

@Kaiyote, you are clear to engage targets! Weapons free.

Deer

Banned
Banned
I think you didn't even read the whole discussion

I know you're trying to make them look bad up there. It's biased, one sided and cherry picked. Your whole post can be summed up to this "the community don't like me" and you're just whoring for sympathy.

L

-..Legacy..-

I know you're trying to make them look bad up there. It's biased, one sided and cherry picked. Your whole post can be summed up to this "the community don't like me" and you're just whoring for sympathy.

How about you take the attitude down a few notches.

Zahur

The eastern rift dragon
Just talking about people like you, see, you are one of the little problems of the community that group and grow and form, pass me the term, a "cancer"