• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Complete Noob. How did YOU choose your Fursona?

Sam Akuchin Wamm

well for me i chose an animal i had a very personal connection to, you know, one that means a lot to me, one i associate with and feel akin to.

i see a lot of people choosing creatures because they just think they're cool or look good or look nice or look cool and then a while later realizing that it doesn't really fit them as an individual.

mostly i'd say you should go with your gut but if your gut feeling tells you your choice is wrong then maybe you need to think about your heart and what you feel in your gut if the gut was wrong.

when you find that animal that clicks more than the others though even if you don't think it clicks well with you you should really try it out to see if it clicks because after all you can always chose a different creature after if it doesn't click.

nobody said you had to have an identity set in stone and you should really experiment for a bit until you find that creature that for you is set in stone.

heck i know someone who's a duchess which is basically a rare and oddly specific form plantidbhglktb.

sl1v3r

well for me i chose an animal i had a very personal connection to, you know, one that means a lot to me, one i associate with and feel akin to.

i see a lot of people choosing creatures because they just think they're cool or look good or look nice or look cool and then a while later realizing that it doesn't really fit them as an individual.

mostly i'd say you should go with your gut but if your gut feeling tells you your choice is wrong then maybe you need to think about your heart and what you feel in your gut if the gut was wrong.

when you find that animal that clicks more than the others though even if you don't think it clicks well with you you should really try it out to see if it clicks because after all you can always chose a different creature after if it doesn't click.

nobody said you had to have an identity set in stone and you should really experiment for a bit until you find that creature that for you is set in stone.

heck i know someone who's a duchess which is basically a rare and oddly specific form plantidbhglktb.
if I may ask, is your avatar a goat? what made you chose that?

Sam Akuchin Wamm

if I may ask, is your avatar a goat? what made you chose that?
yes, they are a canadian mountain goat.

they might look a little different to what you normally see because they appear like a young member of the species because i have pituitary dwarfism (it's like perminently having a child's body) and i awnted my oc to represent that.

my parents were wildlife conservationists in Canada and they spent a lot of time around the goats and basically that has a very personal connection for me.

sl1v3r

yes, they are a canadian mountain goat.

they might look a little different to what you normally see because they appear like a young member of the species because i have pituitary dwarfism (it's like perminently having a child's body) and i awnted my oc to represent that.

my parents were wildlife conservationists in Canada and they spent a lot of time around the goats and basically that has a very personal connection for me.
thats fascinating. so what drew you to this community if I may ask?

Sam Akuchin Wamm

thats fascinating. so what drew you to this community if I may ask?
i cofounded some of the earliest furry communities back in the early 90's.

i've basically been a furry since the 70's but i've never realy taken an interest in this variation of the community and instead been hanging around in other communities for 20 years.

i was asked to join fur affinity by a friend of mine (John) a few years ago and frankly i have little insterest in you guys still.

but unfortunately many of the communities i used to be a part of kinda disappeared recently due to financial trouble so now i'm here.

zerotwo

★★★
I love all kinds of animals myself so it's hard for me to choose a species. That's probably one of the reasons why I have more than one sona. But as far as the species of the sonas that I have now... I don't know.... I kinda just go with what seems cool or different I guess. I try to also create something that people haven't seen much I guess.

sl1v3r

I love all kinds of animals myself so it's hard for me to choose a species. That's probably one of the reasons why I have more than one sona. But as far as the species of the sonas that I have now... I don't know.... I kinda just go with what seems cool or different I guess. I try to also create something that people haven't seen much I guess.
what species is your current avatar if I may ask?

MrSpookyBoots

Batto with a Bad Leg ;'(
I just went with a species I knew I really liked and worked from there. I picked one that had an attitude I could (sort of) relate with or connect with. As an example, I couldn't see myself as a fox, as their own tendencies don't really fit mine, I guess.

I chose a bat because they are among my favorite animals, and hold a special place in my heart. They are so misunderstood, and I believe that almost every species of bat is actually pretty cute in their own way! I believe a bat also fits me more than a rat, a cat, or a snake...all of which are animals that I adore. They also aren't as abundant as other animals I've seen used as fursonas, so that only helped me make a decision.

As for my other characters, there are bits and pieces of myself that I put into them. So while my fursona is a bat, I have a rat OC that has some of my own hobbies and likes certain foods that I also like. She also likes to cook, just like I do!

I think an important thing to remember too is that your fursona may not be set in stone. People can change their fursona at any point. There's no universal law that says you have to keep it. :)

D

Deleted member 111470

When I first found out about the fandom, I wanted my sona to be a deer. I remember writing a story about him. Never finished it.
This was maybe 12 years ago.

Then, about a year or so before joining the forum, I wanted my sona to be a bunny. I had him all envisioned - I wanted a slim and athletic character who's cocky and playful. A rabbit, I thought, fits the bill as much as a cat does.

But then, by the time I finally got to join the fandom officially, I was playing a lot of league of legends, and Wukong to is by far my favorite character in the game. So, solely because of that - my fursona is a monkey.

My current avatar is a second character I came up with, a hyena.

For me, deciding on a character has more to do with what body type they have and what their personality is.

Last edited by a moderator:

KyleNeon

*internal screaming*
I started with a brown husky back in 2013. Didn't feel much of a connection and actually started thinking (I picked a husky, because everyone around me at the time seemed to go husky/fox, I simply tagged along)

This brings up my hometown, which has alot of it revolving around dragons. Be it dialect, monuments or stories about it's history. My city is well known for how proud it is, and I cannot deny that I'm part of that.

's-Hertogenbosch was a core city, and among the last major cities to be captured during the 80 years war: the war for Dutch independence. During most of this time the city was considered impossible to siege, as it was a hill in a swamp surrounded by big walls. This earned the city the nickname "the swampdragon". Today in front of the train station there is a statue of a golden dragon looking down from a pilar. This dragon statue is the icon of the city, as much as the statue of liberty is the icon of America to give an idea. In local dialect (at least I haven't heard it anywhere that isn't my in hometown) children are called dragons by their parents when they are naughty (in a good way). Little to say, my pride for my city combined with how much my parents called me a dragon (and even today still do), I felt almost obliged to pick a dragon.

Design wise, green is my favourite colour but I usually wear grey hoodies, so I combined those colours. I got 2 green stripes coming from the eyes, inspired by cheetahs, because I used to do athletics, which was all about speed. And not to forget, an excuse to add green markings to the face of course.

Spitfire110

Bersaglieri
I like everything about the ocean. And the most famous creatures of the sea are sharks arguably. So it felt appropriate that I get a shark.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
First of all, welcome.

I was aware of the fandom for a while, but didn't actually get involved until about twelve years ago, through roleplay on the Second Life virtual grid. I realized that you could be an anthro animal there, got myself an avatar and started exploring, meeting other furries there. I discovered a roleplay area, medieval/fantasy, where all the characters were anthro animals, rather than elves or orcs or humans or whatever. I was already in my thirties, and it was the first time I'd actually met other adults who liked playing animal characters. I was hooked.

My character started off as a brown wolf, just because that was an avatar I liked the look of. As time went on and her story developed, I created a more elaborate backstory that explained she was actually an Akhlut - something like a mix of wolf and orca/killer whale, who could take the form of a wolf or a mermaid-like creature. It represented my love of both the forests and the sea, and two animals that I have always felt drawn to.

Attachments

• MaelMermaidArches_001.jpg
    MaelMermaidArches_001.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 32

Tacoshark

Defender of the Sacred Nuggs
My sonas have always been animals I have a personal connection with. I have been passionate about reptile husbandry and conservation, so most of my OCs have been reptiles or amphibians.

My current sona is a Tiger shark and that is based partly on my experience with this and other shark species as a marine biologist. I have been lucky to study and work with them intermittently for the past 8 years, and developed an understanding of their quirks and social behaviors. I chose a Tiger shark specifically because of one I worked with out in Fiji named Scarface that had a lasting impression on me. She definitely had a presence, you knew she was nearby by the change in behavior of other sharks. To that I even added subtle nods to other experiences with sharks in my sona. For example, my sonas favorite band is Creedence Clearwater Revival. We chummed for White Sharks in South Africa to get data for some studies. If they weren't coming our way we would put music on and we eventually noticed that CCR seemed to make them appear within 10 minutes virtually without fail. Little things like that.

Last edited:

zandelux

I think picking a sona is like finding your favorite band/movie/etc. You don't go looking for it, it's something that finds you. So my suggestion would be to look at furry art and read furry fiction to see if any species or traits appeal to you.

But since you asked, my kobold sona grew out of a D&D character I play. I've always liked dragons, but preferred them cute and without wings. In an earlier campaign, I met a kobold NPC, and my DM's description made me realize D&D kobolds are pretty much what I had been thinking of. I made one as a character in a later campaign, found I really enjoyed roleplaying as one, and got hooked when I found tons of adorable kobold art.

Plus an NSFW kobold dating sim may have awakened something...

Kinare

RAWR
"Hmm, I think I'm finally ready to make a sona!"
"I want to be a cat, no question about it."
"A black cat."
"A big black cat. Oh, that fits a current OC, I'll just use his species."
"Hmm, it's missing something... not quite ready to call it my sona."
"Let's add this... and that... and this? No, not that, but maybe this! AND THIS!!!!!"
"It is brilliant. I will call it 'spirit cat' and it will be my sona species."
"Huh, she needs a name... what about... no... maybe? Idk..."
"Well, theme of me lately is just go with things that happen, and this happened, so now this is her name."
"Time to get her drawn! But let's add one more thing..."
"She's perfect."

Nephrite

Honestly? I made my first fursona when I was like 8, and really into Warrior Cats. She was a cat, and all of my sonas since have also been cats. I think cats are one of my spirit animals, I've always had a connection to cats and I think they fit my personality pretty well!! uwu
cursed4.png

Here she is; this is Haiku, who I made at the ripe ole age of 8/9

And my current sona & namesake, Nephrite! I've had her for about three years now?? I think she'll be around for a while, haha

*cough* also putting these two images together, it's neat to see how much my art has improved ;-;

Last edited:

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
I got a stuffed animal of Bagheera when I was 5. It stuck. Meet Ziggy.

dramatic_ziggy_small.png

The reality is pick and animal you like a roll with it. There's nothing saying you can't change, nor is there anything saying you need one. For a lot of us, our Fursonas are just fancy avatars. No need to go on a vision quest to consult the furry gods on what to do.

Pyszka

I just drew my sona in class over and over, according to my mood and behavior. Firstly she was based on draconequus (?) from MLP, but over time she changed a lot, get her own anatomy, behavior, physiology as a "Piregon". c:

aomagrat

I was an Aviation Ordnanceman (AO) in the navy. AO's who work in the ship's magazines are called mag rats.
20201019_190936.jpg
AO MagRat.jpg

Punk_M0nitor

Resident Edgelord
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay in the fandom!

Honestly, I just experimented until I found something fitting. At first, I spent ages combining what felt like random mammal species (resulting in some.... interesting designs), but found nothing I truly saw myself in, so I started looking outside the realm of mammals and into birds and reptiles. Something about reptiles just resonated with me more. They're strange, cold-blooded, a far cry from other animal classes, and as someone struggling with their identity and connecting with other people, something that diverged completely biologically really hit home. Eventually I settled on monitor lizards---slick, venomous, neurotic, and not to be trifled with, but loving and gentle if you're patient enough to handle them. Steele was a blue-tailed monitor at some point but later became a bell's phase lace monitor.
1607967543753.png

Their color scheme fits my aesthetic well, to boot, even if Steele has a bit of a bluish tint.

The best advice I can give is just don't limit yourself. The wonderful thing about fursonas is that you can do whatever you want. Play around with concepts, colors, patterns, and animals. You'll figure it out!

Last edited:

Kreok

Hello everyone!
This is another newcomer into the furry community.

First I have to say, that I am thrilled to be apart of this life. This Lifestyle, maybe. And I am looking forward to see more of everyone's furrsona, and to get to know you all a little bit more.
And I am hoping that this will be apart of home for a long time.

Second of all. This Furry just love everything that is being said on this thread. Because this Furry is also looking for himself. Whom he is, and how he looks. And everything so far said is really an eye-opener.
But there is still some questions from this Furry.

The biggest reply this Furry reads, is to start with multiple furrsonas, to find the one that will be, The One. But is that not just like juggling with multiple personalities? This Furry already has plenty of personalities in his everyday life as it is. And this Furry is afraid of including more in his life.

Then on the topic of personality.
So far it is mentioned to find an animal that shares oneself's personality. But how do one find this out? There is a lot of animals that could share some personality traits with each other even, but they would never met eachother in life. Because of the world is being so big.

This is a little bit scary for someone with ADHD.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Let's be honest - animals sharing human traits is definitely humans assigning them. Ask a Raven if they're crafty and they'll just caw at you. You can just as easily pick an animal you like and roll with it, doesn't have to match anything. Or two. Or three. There's no furry police, and no one's gonna judge you based on suitability of the animal to you. And if they do, well, you don't need their approval anyhow.

You seem concerned about realism, but this thread looks like a couple sharks, a couple panthers, at least one dragon, a rat and a sheep all talking to each other. Sorry - anthropomorphized versions of them talking to each other. This is not the community for textbook accuracy.