• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Con-badge advice

Teal

Squirrel
I've started making some badges and would like some advice.

1. I am using regular printer paper. Will it be strong enough once laminated or should I put some sort of stronger backing first?
2. I use colored pencils, would this affect the laminating process at all? (due to them being waxy).
3. Can I make the hole for the clip just in the laminate, or should it go through the paper as well?
Any other advice would be appriciated.

Also I would like a critique of the finished badges.

If this is in the wrong place please move it mods.

Badge one - digital colored http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7601024
Traditionally colored. http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7645743/

Last edited:
A

Ansitru

I can unfortunately only help with drawing advice, as I've never made a con-badge before and don't know how strong they need to be. D:

The first thing I notice is choppy / grainy line-art and it instantly takes away from the entire drawing already.
I don't know which program you work in, but if you're using traditional lines, to colour digitally it's often better to re-ink the lines digitally.
That way they lines smooth and will allow you to work in layers.

Secondly: I hate to sound awful, but the colours don't really work. They're all over-saturated and clash with each other.
I understand having to stick to certain colour-schemes when it comes to drawing characters, but you can still build a harmonious palette around pre-set colours.
I can highly recommend http://colourlovers.com for this part of the process.

Then there's also anatomy that I think may need some work? :S
I'm not an expert on anthro and furry-anatomy, but for instance the hands don't look like there are bones to support the pose they're in and the way the arm is bend around her bosom also seems quite unnatural.

All in all, it's not a type of drawing I would pay for just yet, but instead I'd like to encourage you to keep practicing. ^^;
And my apologies if any of this sounds harsh as it is not my intention to sound as such.

A

Ansitru

I did re-ink the lines, I just kinda failed. I only have a mouse and I'm not good at digital art. The program was gimp (which I'm begining to really dislike).

Ouch, working with a mouse is definitely not easy so props to you for doing digital art then!
however, for con-badges it might be the best idea to work traditionally then and show scanned, traditional examples. C:

The colors fail yes. They do however, look better in the traditionaly colored version. (in which I used different colors). Thanks for the link.

No problem, it's a great resource and I share it wherever I can.
Hope it'll be helpful!

Anatomy is something I have a hard time with still. Also I kinda messed certain parts up when I was inking it. ^^; The hand was actually worse, but I did a fail job of fixing it digitally.

Inking definitely isn't easy, but if you take your time it should be fine. If you feel like you might mess up: make copies of the initial sketch. That way you can practice your inking until you're fluent with it. c:

Nah, you where not harsh at all. I can take a harsh critique, I won't know what needs improving if everyone completely sugar-coats things.

Anyway thanks :3

My pleasure!

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
I did re-ink the lines, I just kinda failed. I only have a mouse and I'm not good at digital art. The program was gimp (which I'm begining to really dislike).

Try Inkscape (free). With it you work with vector lines rather than pixels. Instead of tracing over the lines directly like you're probably doing in gimp:

--establish a separate layer for the lines first so you can strip out the pencils afterward)

--use the straight-line tool. connect two points along any curved line
---(preferably at the extreme ends of single curves--if a line has more than one bend, use one segment for each bend),
----(Edit: The tool referenced above is the "Bezier (Pen) tool"--shortcut key b or shift-F6)

--switch to the point-edit tool, grab the line and drag it till it matches the underlying line
----(Edit: The tool referenced above is the "Node tool"--shortcut key: n or F2)

--repeat till all lines have been "replaced" with vector lines. Adjust their endpoints so that enclosed areas are actually enclosed.

The upshot of all this is that inking this way can be done with a mouse without killing yourself, since you're not attempting to draw the lines, but setting endpoints and dragging.

--Hide the layer with the pencils and use "Export Bitmap" to save out a .PNG file that you can then color in gimp

this pic was inked this way (I used something other than gimp to color it, but same principle applies)

---PCJ

Last edited:

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
If you're going for a conbadge, most are heavily saturated in color. You might as well bear down on the colored pencils you're using and make sure it looks solid, otherwise it comes across as hastily done.

I can provide anatomy crits if you want them-- I think those may help you more than anything right now.