• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Concept Albums

LoC

So, recently I've been listening to Ayreon's "The Human Equation" for the first time and I've listened to all of Opeth albums (some of which are concept albums).

Anyway, I'm looking for more concept albums, anything good would be great, but mainly progressive rock/metal style would be even better.

Any suggestions?

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Coheed and Cambria
Portugal. The Man The Dear Hunter
David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Pink Floyd's The Wall and others to an extent
The Decemberists' The Crane Wife

Those are the first that come to mind.

Last edited:

Art Vulpine

Art Vulpine
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Styxx - Kilroy was Here and Paradise Theater
Kamelot - Epica and The Black Halo

LoC

Ah, tried Kamelot's Epica/Black Halo already - those were 2 awesome albums and I've heard The Wall as well as plenty of Coheed and Cambria.

I've got The Decemberists' The Crane Wife already, but haven't listened to it yet, will do - I like the folksy vibes from what I've heard.

What are Styxx and Portugal all about?

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Ah, tried Kamelot's Epica/Black Halo already - those were 2 awesome albums and I've heard The Wall as well as plenty of Coheed and Cambria.

I've got The Decemberists' The Crane Wife already, but haven't listened to it yet, will do - I like the folksy vibes from what I've heard.

What are Styxx and Portugal all about?

Oh fuck, my bad. Not Portugal. The man. I mean The Dear Hunter. And only II out of the VI parts of the story are done. So far there is the main character, someone dies, and not much else I could really tell you.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Dear+Hunter/_/The+Pimp+and+the+Priest

Last edited:

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Music From The Elder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Probably these:

Mr. Bungle - California
Negativland - Dispepsi
I think every Nile album is a concept album. Not really sure.
The Residents - The Third Reich 'n' Roll
Actually, so is every Residents album.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted here in the first place.

My posting...It's not up to snuff.

T

TakeWalker

COHEED AND CAMBRIA LOLOLOL

No, seriously, check out Aina's "The Seige of Aina", if you like something a bit more power metal-y.

I know I've got a concept album somewhere in my hooj pile o' music, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it is.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
So, recently I've been listening to Ayreon's "The Human Equation" for the first time

YES.

and I've listened to all of Opeth albums.

YES.

You are my winrar of the day.

I'd recommend the rest of the Ayreon project, since it's all a single, awesome storyline. Spring for 01011001 and Into the Electric Castle, they're my favorites.

LoC

Thanks Aden, Opeth are my favourite band on this planet. :) I know I'll be ordering online the Ayreon albums when I'm back at varsity and can get them delivered to me. As for the other band, I'll be good old downloading and giving them a sample before I fork out my puny rands. :p

Listened to The Seige of Aina off a Warcraft tribute video (*groans), but it sounded promising. Also I gave 'Red Hands' by The Deer Hunter a listen, sounds very much like The Receiving End of Sirens.

Mr. Bungle - California
Negativland - Dispepsi
I think every Nile album is a concept album. Not really sure.
The Residents - The Third Reich 'n' Roll

Got California, didn't know or think it was a concept album though. :confused:

Dispepsi looks interesting. I was reading up on that band's albums, I laughed at the U2 incident.

As for Nile, they don't really release full concept albums, but rather just base (nearly) everything off mythology and Lovecraft. Anyway, I've got a fair share of Nile in my library already. :)

The 3rd Reich and Roll albums sounds like it might be an interesting listen, will give it a whirl just now.

Edit: It would be nice if I didn't leave out words. :(

Last edited:

GatodeCafe

Cowardly Coyote
I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" yet. One of the most beautiful concept albums of all time, and the story will turn your brain to shit.

"Quadrophenia" by the who is possibly one of the most underrated albums of all time, and the guitar solos alone on "Joe's Garage" by Frank Zappa are still blowing my fucking mind.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Thanks Aden, Opeth are favourite band on this planet. :) I know I'll be ordering online the Ayreon albums when I'm back at varsity and can get them delivered to me. As for the other band, I'll be good old downloading and giving them a sample before I fork out my puny rands. :p

Listened to The Seige of Aina off a Warcraft tribute video (*groans), but it sounded promising. Also I gave 'Red Hands' by The Deer Hunter a listen, sounds very much like The Receiving End of Sirens.

Dispepsi looks interesting. I was reading up on that band's albums, I laughed at the U2 incident.

As for Nile, they don't really release full concept albums, but rather just base (nearly) everything off mythology and Lovecraft. Anyway, I've got a fair share of Nile in my library already. :)

The 3rd Reich and Roll albums sounds like it might be an interesting listen, will give it a whirl just now.

Make sure that you get it as "The Dear Hunter." There are like three bands out there, The Deerhunter, The Dear Hunter, and The Deer Hunter.

Makes things a pain.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned

I think it is. I think all three Bungle albums are. The first album answered the question: "Who IS Mr. Bungle?" The second: "What IS music?" And the third album is: "Where IS California and what does it sound like?"

Negativland can be pretty funny. And can get sort of tedious if you're not interested in copyright violations (Just so you know, I am). I think Helter Stupid is their magnum opus so try and hear that too.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Hitler was a vegetarian.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" yet. One of the most beautiful concept albums of all time, and the story will turn your brain to shit.

Genesis is silly.

Make sure that you get it as "The Dear Hunter." There are like three bands out there, The Deerhunter, The Dear Hunter, and The Deer Hunter.

Makes things a pain.

I think it's just Deerhunter.

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
I think it is. I think all three Bungle albums are. The first album answered the question: "Who IS Mr. Bungle?" The second: "What IS music?" And the third album is: "Where IS California and what does it sound like?"

Negativland can be pretty funny. And can get sort of tedious if you're not interested in copyright violations (Just so you know, I am). I think Helter Stupid is their magnum opus so try and hear that too.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Hitler was a vegetarian.

Genesis is silly.

I think it's just Deerhunter.

Yeah, forget the "the", I don't have my library in front of me...fucking laptop >.>

Anyway, Microcastle and Cryptograms are interesting

Anything by Pain of Salvation (BE and The Perfect Element are pretty sick)
Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Fear Of A Blank Planet
Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime
Rush's 2112
Devin Townsend's Ziltoid The Omniscient. Actually, that last one is not negotiable...

EDIT: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory, although you probably know about this already =)

Last edited:

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Anything by Pain of Salvation (BE and The Perfect Element are pretty sick)
Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Fear Of A Blank Planet
Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime
Rush's 2112
Devin Townsend's Ziltoid The Omniscient. Actually, that last one is not negotiable...

EDIT: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory, although you probably know about this already =)

I was going to say Ziltoid.

But since he already said it, I'm going to say Cooked On Phonics by another Townsend project, Punky Bruster.

Also 2112 is totally Objectivist because Neil Peart has a hard-on for Ayn Rand. So it may rock, but it's kind of wrong-headed

LoC

I've got Porcupine Tree's In Absentia and Fear Of A Blank Planet, got Ziltoid and I've got that Dream Theater one.

Anyway, listened to that 3rd Reich and Roll album yesterday... Interesting, but I don't think I'm going to be listening to it again any time soon. The discord eventually started to get on my nerves.

Getting Queensrÿche's Operation: Mindcrime, I liked Promised Land and didn't know about Operation: Mindcrime before.

I really want to get Cooked On Phonics, I heard Devin saying that Ziltoid had some similarities between the two (and seeing as I enjoyed Ziltoid, getting it would make sense).

As for Rush and Ayn Rand - I don't dig Ayn Rand at all. My father is a bit of a supporter of her viewpoints, so I've heard the whole 'rationality', 'virtue' and 'purpose' spiel before. Regardless, I'll give the album a listen - I've enjoyed some of the Rush that I've heard.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Anyway, listened to that 3rd Reich and Roll album yesterday... Interesting, but I don't think I'm going to be listening to it again any time soon. The discord eventually started to get on my nerves.​

That's too bad. Try The Commercial Album or Animal Lover. Those should be more to your liking then.

I really want to get Cooked On Phonics, I heard Devin saying that Ziltoid had some similarities between the two (and seeing as I enjoyed Ziltoid, getting it would make sense).

Devin is a funny funny guy. Cooked is a lot easier to find now then it used to be. You can buy it off his site.

As for Rush and Ayn Rand - I don't dig Ayn Rand at all. My father is a bit of a supporter of her viewpoints, so I've heard the whole 'rationality', 'virtue' and 'purpose' spiel before. Regardless, I'll give the album a listen - I've enjoyed some of the Rush that I've heard.

Objectivism is a cult, just so you are aware. As much of a cult as Scientology.

Also, protocollie:
"Quadrophenia" by the who is possibly one of the most underrated albums of all time,

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is the gold standard. I would also recommend the following:
"The Black Parade" - My Chemical Romance
"Good Apollo, I Am Burning Star IV: Volume One" - Coheed and Cambria
"De-Loused In The Comatorium" - The Mars Volta
"Ziggy Stardust And the Spiders From Mars" - David Bowie
"Welcome To My Nightmare" - Alice Cooper
And I'll also recommend Ziltoid, just because Devin Townsend is so awesome.

LoC

Went out and (*gasp*) bought Rush's 2112 album. It was worth the cash, I'm happy to say. :)

Couldn't find anything else locally in my little hamlet.

Endless Humiliation

Banned
Banned
Went out and (*gasp*) bought Rush's 2112 album. It was worth the cash, I'm happy to say. :)

Couldn't find anything else locally in my little hamlet.

Where do you live and why does it suck

Nah, I'm just kidding.

I'm sure Wyoming is pretty nice this time of year.

Mercy

Hm... I'd recommend Rhapsody of Fire, but they're a little... a lot over the top.

In liu of that, I will tell you to go pick up Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse.