Forum Concern regarding new TOS

Frank Gulotta

Not technically a real villain
I was looking for the new TOS and found them to be much less thorough than the previous ones.

Especially concerning is this paragraph :
"We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice."

So... can you get banned for no reason whatsoever now? or am I missing something?
If so, how is this supposed to be an improvement from the previous version where at least you were supposed to break a rule before getting banned?
Thank you for clarifying.

Ovidia Dragoness

Rabidly Transgender
I was looking for the new TOS and found them to be much less thorough than the previous ones.

"We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice."

So... can you get banned for no reason whatsoever now? or am I missing something?
If so, how is this supposed to be an improvement from the previous version where at least you were supposed to break a rule before getting banned?
Technically any company can do this online. Look up Section 230. I believe that is the law.

Frank Gulotta

Technically any company can do this online. Look up Section 230. I believe that is the law.
Usually they still have TOS that tell you how to avoid getting banned and a recourse to bring up in case of no rule being broken, now we don't even have that

RyuokoWolf

Your Cantaloupine
Mods wouldn't remove something without reason. It's more so letting you know, that if something you post breaks the rules, and it gets reported or they see it, they'll remove it.

Frank Gulotta

Mods wouldn't remove something without reason. It's more so letting you know, that if something you post breaks the rules, and it gets reported or they see it, they'll remove it.
But I just pointed out that they reserve the right to remove something for no reason. It's almost verbatim what the new TOS say. And I'll add that what little is said about what constitutes "breaking the rules" is VERY vague at times.

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
This is a bit confusing but I don't think they would legit ban someone because they feel like it. I think this is a general statement for them to have coverage if the site needed to be deleted for whatever reason or if they had to take administrative action for legit reasons. Its hard to explain and I don't 100% understand either but this isn't "we are going to remove you because we don't like you!"

Frank Gulotta

This is a bit confusing but I don't think they would legit ban someone because they feel like it. I think this is a general statement for them to have coverage if the site needed to be deleted for whatever reason or if they had to take administrative action for legit reasons. Its hard to explain and I don't 100% understand either but this isn't "we are going to remove you because we don't like you!"
Well... if that was the case, wouldn't a reiteration of the previous rules, which were rather fair on paper, be enough?
I'm having doubts because I previously had bad experience dealing with them, but eventually won because I had broken no rule. I'm afraid that these new TOS would make it okay to bypass actually breaking a rule to ban someone. That would suck.

Yav

wig snatcher
This is mainly a notice that *every* website generally provides, but even if they don't have it in their ToS, they are still fully free to do it.
This is mostly used for anything not specified under traditional rules, or if they see you as a general nuisance, but you're not explicitly breaking any rules (trust me, those people can pop up.. a lot)
This also means they don't need to be formally noticed you before you are banned.

So pretty much this is just a warning to have common sense, and is applied to every website/ forum page in existence.

Frank Gulotta

This is mainly a notice that *every* website generally provides, but even if they don't have it in their ToS, they are still fully free to do it.
This is mostly used for anything not specified under traditional rules, or if they see you as a general nuisance, but you're not explicitly breaking any rules (trust me, those people can pop up.. a lot)
This also means they don't need to formally notice you before you are banned.

So pretty much this is just a warning to have common sense, and is applied to every website/ forum page in existence.
Hmm, I would agree if there weren't been many problems regarding moderation in this part of the site.

smolmuffin

A teeny muffin
Well... if that was the case, wouldn't a reiteration of the previous rules, which were rather fair on paper, be enough?
I'm having doubts because I previously had bad experience dealing with them, but eventually won because I had broken no rule. I'm afraid that these new TOS would make it okay to bypass actually breaking a rule to ban someone. That would suck.
It would most likely take consistent rule breaking and/or a extreme action that leads to the consequence of being removed. Just read IggyKoopa's message and yea, I think that is the case as well. A lot of sites have this on their ToS.

Frank Gulotta

Assume the rules are the same as on mainsite; add the fact that the forum is ~PG-13 and general common sense “act appropriately for a forum” rules, and you should be good.
What if I don't trust moderation to be fair? because I've not been given reasons to trust it. And at least if there are actual clear rules, like it was before, I can have a decision overturned if it's unfair. Here it just sounds like they want to be able to ban anyone they don't like without recourse.

quoting_mungo

What if I don't trust moderation to be fair? because I've not been given reasons to trust it. And at least if there are actual clear rules, like it was before, I can have a decision overturned if it's unfair. Here it just sounds like they want to be able to ban anyone they don't like without recourse.
If you don’t trust moderation to be fair, there are better people to raise that paranoia to than someone who used to be on the mod team and knows how much effort goes into keeping rulings fair and consistent, tbfh. I just told you, refer to the mainsite rules and treat the forum as a General-rated area, until and/or unless staff say otherwise. Because that’s more or less what the forum rules were.

“We can remove you at any time for any reason” is the type of clause virtually all services have so that they can remove disruptive users who carefully follow the letter of the law. The only real reason to worry about that clause is if you plan on trolling and/or stirring up shit.

Frank Gulotta

If you don’t trust moderation to be fair, there are better people to raise that paranoia
Way to be dismissive and contemptuous -_- Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's just "paranoia". I've been suspended two times months ago for completely phony reasons, and had a main site moderator intervene, and reverse both measures. Even then, FAF moderators dragged their feet in giving me back certain posting privileges and I had to remind them of it.
Now, I think you would agree that since site staff didn't think these measures were fair, then I didn't deserve them. So is it "paranoia" when I have to do that in order to be treated fairly?

Dragoneer

Site Director
Staff member

It's a right we reserve, but rarely execute. It's just saying that we have the right to remove content or accounts for any reason. This clause has been in the Terms of Service for well over a decade. This isn't new by any means..

Frank Gulotta

It's a right we reserve, but rarely execute. It's just saying that we have the right to remove content or accounts for any reason. This clause has been in the Terms of Service for well over a decade. This isn't new by any means..
Really? thanks for clarifying!

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Hello! long time no see!
Bottom right corner of the screen. At least those are the only ones I could find.
Only thing I see as odd is links to adult content, since any link to furaffinity could be considered that? I'm guessing that they consider their own website okay though.

RyuokoWolf

Your Cantaloupine
Only thing I see as odd is links to adult content, since any link to furaffinity could be considered that? I'm guessing that they consider their own website okay though.
While FurAffinity does contain adult content, you're also prohibited from seeing it if you are under 18. And the general public cannot see it. Take PH for example. Anyone can view it, you're not required to log in to see you, you dont have to verify your age. That's why it wouldnt be allowed.

If any random person can view it, it's not allowed.

[Nexus]

Abstract concepts coordinator
It’s like a restaurant saying they have the right to refuse service to anyone. I see it almost everywhere. It’s rarely ever practiced, and almost always isn’t used maliciously. I’m not too worried about it really.

I’d actually uphold the same standard if I ran my own site or establishment.

Last edited:

quoting_mungo

It should be the same restrictions on linking as in the mainsite CoC - if it requires a login to see the adult material, that’s fine.