• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanicFolf

Well after 2 years of keeping it a secret I finally told my parents that I was not only bisexual but also a furry. They were just shocked about the bisexual part not even being able to look at me and the only comment they made was "Okay..." With being a furry.. Well my dad took it the wrong way. He tooked it as that I love to do sexual activities dressed up as an animal. Anyone have any tips on how to explain it because I just don't know what else to do...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I think you made it sound as though being a furry was comparable to being bisexual, when you decided to mention them at the same time. If you don't like your dad imagining that, you could just straight up tell him you're not interested in that, but he'll probably still be mystified why you felt being a furry was of similar significance to bisexuality. o_O

Personally I don't really understand why people want their parents to know about this sort of thing, because I can only imagine it being super-awkward.

Last edited:

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Uhh I just told my mom and she didn't give two shits...granted she does fell a bit, awkward at the idea of me being a furry, especially since I didn't explain it to her fully what the fandom was about. I suggest you explain to them what the fandom is and tell them that the negative portrayals they see in the media are pretty much false and not indicative of what the majority of furries do.

OceanicFolf

Yea I think he might have looked it up, about furries because originally the talk was just me being bisexual and then he remember I was going to a convention and thought it was a gay convention or something. He looked it up because I told him it was an Anthromophic convention instead of furry convention like a week ago. And I am guessing he found sexual references to furries. I did try to explain is somewhat. As of right now he just ask me to do simple stuff around the house, laundry and dishes. So hopefully he found out what it really is. I just do not want him to get the wrong idea since I do love him. I just felt that 3-4 years was enough time to build up confidence to tell him. Also being that I am leaving for college in September, I wanted to tell him before than.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Why do people think you have to "come out" as a furry?

Just...why?

OceanicFolf

I have no idea. It came out for me because my dad took it he wrong way and I didn't want him to see myself in that way.

Fallowfox

Why do people think you have to "come out" as a furry?

Just...why?

I think it's because some people don't easily see the difference between 'not keeping something secret as if it is super-evil', and coming out.

Even more don't realise that being a furry actually is super evil. Don't reveal yourselves, sleeper agents; you'll spoil the evil plans.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I think it's because some people don't easily see the difference between 'not keeping something secret as if it is super-evil', and coming out.

Even more don't realise that being a furry actually is super evil. Don't reveal yourselves, sleeper agents; you'll spoil the evil plans.
I see...how could I have been so blind to my brethren?

Schwimmwagen

There's a difference between "Mom, dad, I am a furry, now let me explain" and "Robin Hood is one of my fave Disney movies, those animal dudes are appealing"

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
There's a difference between "Mom, dad, I am a furry, now let me explain" and "Robin Hood is one of my fave Disney movies, those animal dudes are appealing"

Pretty much. A friend and I were just talking about this whole "Coming Out" thing at the moment...which I think actually just adds to the stimga furries have. I mean think about it. You come out as a Warhammer 40k fan? A Dungeon Master? Cosplayer? Gamer? No? Well why do you come out as a furry then? Granted there's yeah the sexual side of it, which I usually say "Well I'm not into it like that" or "I'm more into the clean stuff" or whatever. But yeah, my friend was saying that if it's more of a "By the way I'm into this" fashion and not a "Mom, dad, I need to talk...." fashion then it has less chance of being seen as something that's some kinda underground fetish thing.

Drexel97

Dude I feel bad that you're stuck in this situation. I honestly don't know how much I could help you in terms of advice other than down play it. being a furry really isn't that big a deal, I mean if my parents asked I would tell them, but other than that I really don't have a reason to tell them. Its not that I'm hiding something, its just that it isn't THAT big a deal. when I go to con, I say just that. "I'm going to con." I've been to enough with friends and all that they really don't care what kind it is as long as they know where I'm going. I'm pretty sure they know because I have pictures of myself and friends wearing tails on social media that they have access to, I think they just don't really know what it is, or really care. I dont know I'm not really helping haha! look best of luck to you man, I hope everything woorks itself out, just remember to be cool about it, downplay it, and just tell it like it is. you like anthro art, maybe you like to wear a tail. its an an artistic thing. you create your own character, its really cool, yada yada yada. thats how I would do it if my parents asked. good luck and congrats on telling your parents youre bi!

OceanicFolf

I want to start out by saying thank you to everyone who talked to me. It really cheered me up seeing that people were here for me. There is good news and bad news. Good news is my parents understand, they said it will take time to get use to but they will always be there for me. The bad news is I failed my drivers test... I HATE PARREL PARKING! :( the only thing I cannot do. Plus I had the grouchiest old man to score me...

Joey

As much as these threads make me cringe, I gotta remember that the OP's in question are always younger than 19... Weird time in life.

Fallowfox

I want to start out by saying thank you to everyone who talked to me. It really cheered me up seeing that people were here for me. There is good news and bad news. Good news is my parents understand, they said it will take time to get use to but they will always be there for me. The bad news is I failed my drivers test... I HATE PARREL PARKING! :( the only thing I cannot do. Plus I had the grouchiest old man to score me...

...Parallel?

I can't drive either, but if you go to university you may live on campus and not have to drive, so it might not even be a problem for you.

Charrio

Artistic Mouse
Sorry you had a sour reaction.
Furry tho is just a like not a lifestyle, you don't need to tell anyone if should just
be apparent in how your tastes are. Gee you got a lot of hot fox babes on your wall
kind of thing. Not a giant sign "GOT FURRY!?" "Just YIFF It!" of such just a presence
part of what you like and what makes you smile. Not a cult or weird society just nerds
loving on fantasy creatures and creations

Ratical

There is good news and bad news. Good news is my parents understand, they said it will take time to get use to but they will always be there for me.

Well, that is good, congrats. :) It might be awkward for a little bit, but I guess it's best that you got it out of the way now that you're still young. Time's gonna make this better.

That said, I dunno if you express yourself as a furry by wearing tails or ears or something, but you might wanna hold off on that for a bit. Let your parents know you're still the "you" they knew before you came out. Focus on the bi thing. It'll help the adjustment period.

I really hope everything works out for you, and don't be afraid to ask for help or support, either from us or someone you trust.

Drexel97

I passed my drivers test... then I had to parallel park.... that wasn't on my test.... I may or may not have smashed into a ladie's new Mercedes while she was sitting in it.... yeah that happened, but my Subaru didn't have a scratch on it! yeah! not rich people cars!

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
I passed my drivers test... then I had to parallel park.... that wasn't on my test.... I may or may not have smashed into a ladie's new Mercedes while she was sitting in it.... yeah that happened, but my Subaru didn't have a scratch on it! yeah! not rich people cars!
Be careful, she may throw a fit and sue your pants off. Some of the nicest cars are owned by the worst people.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Honestly in my view about the whole "coming out" as a furry thing.

Some people might think it's strange (which it is but that's beside the point), so, perhaps in the eyes of some furries, it would be nice to give some forewarning to the inevitable discovery.

Like, when I get my own place it's gonna be cluttered in furry stuff. Framed art, a mannequin with my fursuit, blatant furry puns on my decoratives (such as a "wipe your paws" welcome mat). I feel like telling my father beforehand was a bit better than having him visit and be "what the fuck" about the whole thing since it would have been so sudden.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
I carry on as usual without using the term "furry", since barely anyone knows what a furry is. I am not afraid to show my love for anthro animals. Distancing myself from the term, I am able to avoid the stigma that may exist if anyone I know happens to know what a furry is. Pretty much, I get to be myself without worrying about labels. Oh, and my Steam profile mentions my involvement in the fandom as a casual thing. I have lots of IRL friends on Steam, and if they had a problem, I would know by now. Pretty much, I don't go around rubbing fur in people's faces.

Fallowfox

On non-furry websites I just let my furriness be an open-secret.

Unfortunately, in real life, my colleagues and I were drunk and asked me about it, because they'd gotten wind of something that happened the previous year, and figured me out. So now they all know.

Spags

Yeah I know how it is being a furry gets me a lot of questions. But I think I might be bi as well :/ not that it is bad but I don't know when or IF I should tell my parents. They already know I'm a furry but only my dad gets it. He understands how not only is it NOT FUCKING ANIMALS but they are a great group of people... My mom on the other hand :| with this is mind my father is fine with people who are gay but feels bisexuality means you are confused and scared. In a way he is right as I feel that way deciding when I will come out. Plz help.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Tell your parents to stop watching TV.

Maelstrom Eyre

Ahmoua Wolf
If you tell someone that you're a furry in the same conversation as you tell them that you are (insert sexual preference, fetish, identity, etc) - many people will think that the two are directly related. That's just how it is - even if your participation in the furry fandom is not at all related to sexual fetishes, bringing them up as part of a single "confession" will forever link them in the minds of most people.

My involvement in the furry fandom has no relation to my sexual identity, my political views, my religious (or lack of) beliefs, the music styles I like, the foods I enjoy, etc. It is just its own thing.

Now, if your involvement in the fandom does (pardon the phrase) "tie in" to sexual behavior, fetishes, fantasies, etc. then don't be surprised when people outside the fandom get a bit weirded out by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.