• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Confessions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renarde

Little Fox
Well, I wouldn't be freaked out if I accidentally consumed meat. I merely desire to reduce my carbon footprint.

Ah, that was initially a bigger reason for me, but after learning more about the meat industry since, the idea of eating meat (especially if I don't know where it's come from) makes me feel physically ill. I have been known to eat roadkill on the odd occasion, 'cause I had a bunch of friends that are into primitive skills and we'd usually tan the hides too, but that's a different story.

Renarde

Little Fox
It's free range and organic as it you're gonna find, besides hunted stuff. It wasn't raised and killed with the intention of consumption, either, so I don't face a real ethical dilemma there. Especially in Central New York, there's way more roadkill than most scavengers can get to, so a lot of the time it just rots. So picking it up and using it's hide and meat helps honor it's death, I think. And I'd never eat it raw, haha! You do have to make sure to cook it very well, especially stuff like raccoon. As long as you do that there's virtually no risk of disease.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
Ah, that was initially a bigger reason for me, but after learning more about the meat industry since, the idea of eating meat (especially if I don't know where it's come from) makes me feel physically ill. I have been known to eat roadkill on the odd occasion, 'cause I had a bunch of friends that are into primitive skills and we'd usually tan the hides too, but that's a different story.
So... you won't eat meat that's come from the meat industry? But you'll eat roadkill?
wat
Or, are we talking vegetables that got killed rolling across the street? :V inb4 wheelchair joke

Meat is tasty. I miss jerky. I want to go hunting here so that I can have meat for months and ffffdrool venison jerky.
But I have to wait for 4ish more years. /sads

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
It's free range and organic as it you're gonna find, besides hunted stuff. It wasn't raised and killed with the intention of consumption, either, so I don't face a real ethical dilemma there. Especially in Central New York, there's way more roadkill than most scavengers can get to, so a lot of the time it just rots. So picking it up and using it's hide and meat helps honor it's death, I think. And I'd never eat it raw, haha! You do have to make sure to cook it very well, especially stuff like raccoon. As long as you do that there's virtually no risk of disease.

I don't care if it's free range and organic if I catch a disease?

I'm not about to go out collecting rotting raccoons off the pavement because they're 'organic'.

Renarde

Little Fox
So... you won't eat meat that's come from the meat industry? But you'll eat roadkill?
wat

Yup! 'Cause I know exactly where it came from, and all the reasons above. Factory farmed meat is wayyy grosser in my opinion. I'm in full support of hunting, especially around where I live because holy overpopulation. Why do ya have to wait 4 years?

I don't care if it's free range and organic if I catch a disease? I'm not about to go out collecting rotting raccoons off the pavement because they're 'organic'.

Ick! Who said anything about eating rotting animals? It's usually venison, the raccoon was a one time deal.

Fallowfox

Yup! 'Cause I know exactly where it came from, and all the reasons above. Factory farmed meat is wayyy grosser in my opinion. I'm in full support of hunting, especially around where I live because holy overpopulation. Why do ya have to wait 4 years?

Ick! Who said anything about eating rotting animals? It's usually venison, the raccoon was a one time deal.

You mentioned the rotting meat, but it goes without saying that meat lying on the ground has been there for an unknown amount of time, and it could have dangerous bacteria growing in it. It's the same deal as bush meat.

You don't want to discover North America's equivalent of Ebola.

jtrekkie

Feathered
I would eat roadkill, provided I killed it or at least saw it done. You can't eat jackrabbits because they're always full of worms. Unfortunately in NM if you hit a deer you aren't allowed to keep it. It always goes to waste, and it's shameful.

...Now the thought of road kill does make me sick. It could have lyme-carrying ticks or all sorts. o_O

You won't even eat carrion? What kind of fox are you?

(The idea of eating something I just found on the side of the road makes me nauseous.)

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
I ate a decent pate made from a roadkill hare two times. One was killed by my dad and the second one by my aunt. It's not uncommon here. Tho we'd never use something that wasn't killed by us or by someone who we know.

Fallowfox

It's the same deal in England too; you can't hit a deer and eat it because people would hit deer on purpose.

It's rather sad really, there's very little wild life left in England, as it has been so intensively managed by farmers and hunter that it has, by now, almost all been replaced.

Renarde

Little Fox
There are pretty tell tale signs if it's been there for more than a few hours, I would never pick up something rotten. I have friends who have because the hide was still good, but you wouldn't eat something like that.

We've evolved as a species to be able to smell when meat is bad - it's sort of a survival thing. And bloat sets in really early, so that's another easy way to tell when you don't want to eat it. Plus, if that deer is there on your way home from work, and it wasn't a few hours ago... like, it's a lot less problematic than you're making it, I think. o_o;;

EDIT: Also, as long as you cook it well the proteins in viruses are denatured and bacteria die off, as do any small parasites.

Last edited:

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
So what's England's forestation ratio? :F I agree, it's very sad.

Well, imo the only safe thing that you can make from a roadkill is a pate. I assume that you won't carry out a veterinary research on a roadkill, so it's the only way to be sure. In other cases thermal treatment may be not sufficient.

Arcana

career lurker
I will confess that I wanted to make a tasteless joke about eating meat but I couldn't think of a decent way to pull it off.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I will confess that I wanted to make a tasteless joke about eating meat but I couldn't think of a decent way to pull it off.
You just grab a hunk and tear away at it.

Renarde

Little Fox
Most things you'd worry about can be killed that way. The primitive skills community here is really big and I know tens of people who eat roadkill semi-regularly. There's no real danger there that doesn't exist with hunted meat as long as it's fresh, and I don't know anyone who's gotten ill. I'm not trying to get you all to eat roadkill, haha! I'm just stating what my reasons are.

Ayattar

Banned
Banned
Sure. Just remember that we won't forget it. I suggest changing your nickname to Scavenger or something like that tho.

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence
What about potential bioaccumulation of heavy metal in game? I don't know if it applies in US where land is vast, but at least in Korea, where we have roads and towns everywhere, I heard it is something to be aware of, though since we have strict regulation on firearms, few people hunt and eat game anyway. I think I would put more trust on farmed meat; while there are at least laws and regulations regarding farmed meat, who knows if a boar or roe deer ate plants growing by roadside or abandoned mines?

jtrekkie

Feathered
I can just speak for New Mexico, but we actually monitor that. We take blood samples from coyotes, fox, raccoons, deer, rabbits and who knows what else. We're actually monitoring a handful of diseases, but they get tested for everything. Heavy metals has never been an issue. With fish, however, there is a problem. In some areas fish are inedible.

DammitMax

Max Fally
Hi I'm new to this site! This thread seems like it could be some fun! Since I don't really know anyone I guess I can just say whatever.
Confession: I am a fruit cocktail of mental illnesses, I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, major depression, PTSD, and gender dysphoria (which is the medical term for transgender but I don't really think of it as a disorder. It's just how I am)

Rekel

A Professional Expert
I confess that I haven't seen daylight for three days.

For the past three nights, I've been going to bed around 8:00am and getting up at 6:00pm. I don't work graveyard or anything.

And here I am once more, laying in bed about to sleep at 6:54am. If I don't miss class, I'll have to get 4 hours of sleep -- I've frequently gotten 2-3 hours of sleep on days I have class, which is 5 out of the week.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
Hi I'm new to this site! This thread seems like it could be some fun! Since I don't really know anyone I guess I can just say whatever.
Confession: I am a fruit cocktail of mental illnesses, I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, major depression, PTSD, and gender dysphoria (which is the medical term for transgender but I don't really think of it as a disorder. It's just how I am)

Hiya Max, I see you made yourself a few posts in the forums. Welcome!

...and I dont think you're alone with the mental illnesses there are a few people here that can relate.

Nice to know that your gender isnt a disorder and a part of you :) I like how you described that

(By the way I really like the purple x3 I hope no one makes you change it)

DammitMax

Max Fally
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'd be nice to meet some people on here who are also struggling, I've found that an online support system does seem to help.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'd be nice to meet some people on here who are also struggling, I've found that an online support system does seem to help.

It seems struggling people are easy to find. Welcome aboard!

Confession: I am forever worrying about coming off as a weirdo.

Fallowfox

So what's England's forestation ratio? :F I agree, it's very sad.

Well, imo the only safe thing that you can make from a roadkill is a pate. I assume that you won't carry out a veterinary research on a roadkill, so it's the only way to be sure. In other cases thermal treatment may be not sufficient.

~12% of the UK is forested, but only ~2% of the UK's area is 'original forest', and the rest is commercial plantations.

Status
Not open for further replies.