• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Confessions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
I can't even PLAY piano...
i would at least learn how to read a piano then. this can be accomplished with even online pianos; it's just important to have that instrument at least somewhat at your disposal since it is one of the few polyphonic instruments you can work from

alternatively guitar. something where you can apply a chordal texture easily. i find that playing a chord on vibes/piano makes it way easier for me to translate it to other instruments.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
At the least, if you want to be comfortable with these things, just play your instrument. And don't use rigid structures; don't warm up in a clear cut way, don't read music.

Just make sound, and work from there. And remember that a wrong note is only wrong when it's not on the page, and seeing as there's no page... ;3

It's funny, we actually have to re-arrange "This Old Man" in Garage band for one of my classes. I have been trying to find the absolute WEIRDEST chords I possibly can to work with. c:

Kinharia

Drunken Irish Snow Leopard
I confess in my drunken state that I desperately want a mate. I don't like being lonely :( I want an actual person to cuddle at night, I want someone who says I love you and someone who I can say I love you to. I just want someone :( but I am too introverted to go out and do anything about it...

Ariosto

Speaking of writing in general, I confess I can't write a good story; I can't make my characters suffer or have problems that actually threaten them in some key way, and that's a necessity for most narrative literature (unless you're Julio Cortázar).
I'm however, rather fond of making a character ramble, probably because it's something I do a lot myself and it's not far off from an essay all things considered, but I haven't experimented much with it.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
I confess in my drunken state that I desperately want a mate. I don't like being lonely :( I want an actual person to cuddle at night, I want someone who says I love you and someone who I can say I love you to. I just want someone :( but I am too introverted to go out and do anything about it...

Man, I feel you. I am also on this boat, but what makes it hard for me is I have a difficult time trusting others and because of that, I'm very reserved and shelled up. I've been stabbed in the back too many times.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Speaking of writing in general, I confess I can't write a good story; I can't make my characters suffer or have problems that actually threaten them in some key way, and that's a necessity for most narrative literature (unless you're Julio Cortázar).
I'm however, rather fond of making a character ramble, probably because it's something I do a lot myself and it's not far off from an essay all things considered, but I haven't experimented much with it.
That sounds like it could lead to some interesting ideas, at the least. Eventually those tangents may become more re and more explorative...who knows.

Ariosto

That sounds like it could lead to some interesting ideas, at the least. Eventually those tangents may become more re and more explorative...who knows.
It does not lead to a coherent narrative at all, but it does help me to keep a track of my thoughts for later, and to put more thought into the way I organize ideas to keep the reader interested, moreso than the essay even. The last thing I rambled about was the video in my signature, and it did lead to a few interesting ideas about how it differs from usual performances (the conclusion was that it was more of an actual love song than it's usually peformed as).

Last edited:

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
I have plenty of friends. I just don't see them anymore. Damn, that is the one downside of the PSEO program.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Today I found out I backstabbed someone I look up to and I have no idea what to do... dammit why do I have to be so dense.

Also I'm rather intimidated by the musicians. I've tried making some very loose music, but my instruction in theory was lacking and I don't know how to teach myself that. I'm stuck. Slowly I'm working though a lot of books that were given to me, maybe I'll figure it out. I can't give up.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
I tend to be very smug and prideful of my own words that I write, like I'll read something I wrote or even a post I made and I'll be like "Hell yes! I am awesome, someone will read my mastery of the English language along with deep and thought-provoking content and be awed by my prowess". Yeah, because I'm very egocentric like that to myself. Of course I don't intentionally show it I'll just be a fan of my own words silently.

i hardly have any friends IRL.

Join the club.

It's called FAF.

Last edited:

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT
Today I found out I backstabbed someone I look up to and I have no idea what to do... dammit why do I have to be so dense.

Also I'm rather intimidated by the musicians. I've tried making some very loose music, but my instruction in theory was lacking and I don't know how to teach myself that. I'm stuck. Slowly I'm working though a lot of books that were given to me, maybe I'll figure it out. I can't give up.
ok everyone gets intimidated by theory but here is my honest opinion;

it is quintessentially a way to shorthand the things that you think you want to hear. You don't have to know what the hell a V7 is to know that thing is LOADED with tendencies. There is certainly more complex theory that then offers you things that are less intuitive, but honestly, the only thing that is REALLY necessary to feel pressure on is voice leading, which is a convention discarded back in the common practice era, and simply a way to describe music in a way that has interest in all four voices (assuming there are only four)

You should NOT be intimidated by your products so long as you understand what a triad even is. If your ear wants to do something, do it. Functionality is a practice that is still far too common for us to overcome, and so you WILL recognize tendency tones.

I dunno. my two cents. Unless you're going for some Debussian melodic content, it's very likely that a lot of what you may want may not be that far off at all.

It's the difference between hearing it and having an explanation for it, and honestly I've heard tracks made by up there groups (hell even Fall Out Boy) that spit in the face of common practice tonality, while STILL working in diatonic functionality.

That's my rant. Now, on the other hand, if you really wanna learn theory, it's really very useful, but it comes with the warning that you will start to look at music a little differently, and sometimes this isn't good. It is easy to start to dislike certain tendencies simply because of conventional thinking, and it's important to remember that it is only conventional thinking. I would suggest away from books if you can possibly, and use a site like this. http://www.musictheory.net/ use the exercises a lot, and then you can start applying those exercises to more advanced information.

In the same coin, I also respect that you don't just look at a musician and assume it's a paid monkey. I know people who treat it this way and sometimes I don't really have the ability to respect that.

Goddamn. I feel so refreshed being able to comfortably talk about music. Like...fuck dude. I never talk much because I never EVER feel comfortable in any other topic.

Last edited:

TheDukeofRawsome

Airship Gunner

Hey Kin,

Be prepared this one is a wall

This is my two cents, take it or leave it.

First some backstory. Six years ago I had officially given up on love. I had a mate in mind, asked her out even, a few times.(I was nothing if not persistent with that one) She shot me down, along with 25 others I asked out (everyone from a person who is like my sister to almost total strangers). I was ready to say "screw this" and just not date. So in that state of mind I go to a friend's party on St. Patricks day of all days. (If im lying im dying) I talk to a few friends (I didnt have many at the time) and notice this girl in the room. We start chatting it up and she starts belting out "The Wild Rover" (Once again, if im lying im dying). Out of the blue (ive known her for less than 4 hours) she asked me to her junior prom. I say yes. Less than a week later we are dating. She has been my mate for the last 6 years and I forsee her being my mate for the rest of my life.

So my advice to you? Change up where you hang out. I didnt usually roll with these friends of mine and if i did it was at my place. My second piece of advice is to follow the "Why Not?" rule. Ill be honest when I started dating my mate I thought "ehhhh three weeks and ill dump her", I late found out she gave me a week initally before she was gunna dump me :p We both entered the relationship not thinking " OH MY GOD IM GOING TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH HER" but "What do i have to lose? Some time and a coupla dates worth of cash? Why not?" If it works out Great! If not jump throw them back and keep fishing.

But again, hey thats my two cents. Its probably worth even less than that :)

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
I went to the zoo today :3
I saw the pandas, they were pretty...and bigger than I imagined.

Red_Lion _

Sometimes I get this overwhelming urge to just start walking in any direction. Just walking right out of my life and starting over with a blank slate. Then I realize how impractical that would be and I remember that I have reasons to stay, and I sit back in my chair and keep hanging on for another day.

BRN

WTB Forum Mod Powers
Sometimes I get this overwhelming urge to just start walking in any direction. Just walking right out of my life and starting over with a blank slate. Then I realize how impractical that would be and I remember that I have reasons to stay, and I sit back in my chair and keep hanging on for another day.

I think we've all got this immature, unrealistic fantasy that our responsibilities are a backpack, filled with all the things we feel we need but something that we can shrug off with the intention of finding supplies our own way. 'Course, any length of time thinking about it makes us realise that all our responsibilities are voluntary and carry no reward in themselves -- but they're an intrinsic part of staying in society and society is the only thing keeping us alive. We can shrug off our backpacks, but only to wear a different one.

But if you want change that much, then change might be healthy. You won't have an easier life that way, but you'll have a different one, and that might be good enough.

Red_Lion _

I think we've all got this immature, unrealistic fantasy that our responsibilities are a backpack, filled with all the things we feel we need but something that we can shrug off with the intention of finding supplies our own way. 'Course, any length of time thinking about it makes us realise that all our responsibilities are voluntary and carry no reward in themselves -- but they're an intrinsic part of staying in society and society is the only thing keeping us alive. We can shrug off our backpacks, but only to wear a different one.

But if you want change that much, then change might be healthy. You won't have an easier life that way, but you'll have a different one, and that might be good enough.

Change would definitely be healthy, the environment I live in gets pretty toxic sometimes. I'm an agnostic LGBT person living with a dysfunctional conservative Christian family. But I know I can't just jump the gun and run out with nothing but my name and the clothes on my back. I have goals I'm working toward and I know it's better to stick it out a little longer and try to be patient.

Chaossal

Its hard for me to draw for myself, I'm more motivated to draw for others.
I guess because I HAVE to do the art for other people, but I'm not going to get in trouble with myself if I don't draw for me lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.